Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old May 25th, 2022, 01:58 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The Beginner's Guide to Heroscape Resources

The Beginner’s Guide to Heroscape Resources

Welcome to Heroscapers! Heroscape is a fantastic game first published nearly twenty years ago that still has a thriving community of players today. Over the years, people have created a wealth of resources to enhance the accessibility and enjoyment of this game we all love. However, given the vast amount of available content, it can be a bit overwhelming and difficult for new players to know where to begin. This thread is intended to help others discover some of the most useful resources available for Heroscape players today.

Interacting with the Community
Since its arrival in 2006, Heroscapers.com has been THE destination for Heroscape-related discussion and resources. We’re glad you’re here! More recently, however, discussion has also taken place on Discord and Facebook, linked below.

Discord Channel
Facebook Group

Expanding Your Heroscape Collection

Buying Used Heroscape
Getting into Heroscape today can seem like a daunting task, given the number of units released coupled with their relatively expensive cost. However, I’ve found the majority of sellers on this site to be very welcoming and helpful to new players looking to expand their collection. There is another website, AllThingsHeroscape.com, which also holds a large inventory of used Heroscape. The owner of this site typically prices their items at roughly 130% of the generally accepted market value. For that reason, I’d always recommend that new players check the Sales and Trades section of this forum, or keep an eye out on Facebook Marketplace for particularly good deals, rather than overpaying for units from AllThingsHeroscape. The Trading Market section of the Heroscapers Discord channel is another great place to share a request if you’re looking for a particular unit.

3D Printed Figures
With the growing popularity of 3D printing, it’s become possible to print your own copies of official Heroscape units rather than buying them second-hand. There are several indexes of Heroscape scans out there, but @scapedood 's scans are widely considered to be some of the most detailed and complete. Check out Scapedood’s 3D Scans HERE.

Printing Classic Army Cards
Heroscape user @itsbuzzi has scanned the Army Cards of every official unit and made the pdfs available via Google Drive HERE.

Paper Standees
@Pumpkin_King has created pdf files that can be used to easily make paper standees of a wide number of figures. A great way to try out a hero or squad before purchasing the official figures. Check out the project HERE.

Player Aids

HACCS Army Builder
This is one of my favorite Heroscape resources. This website allows you to quickly add up the point total of any army, as well as perform filtered searches for specific Army Cards. This site also includes VC and C3G custom units, which can be toggled in the Settings. Check it out HERE.

Rulebooks and FAQs
This thread contains links to pdfs of all the official rulebook and FAQ documents. Check it out HERE.

Heroscape Probability Sheets
This website breaks down the probability of Attack and Defense values in an easy to understand way. Check it out HERE.

Competitive Map Index
Wargrounds of Scape (commonly abbreviated WoS) is an organization of skilled Heroscape players who curate a list of the best Heroscape maps for competitive play. The right map can greatly enhance the role of strategy and skill in a given game, and this group provides a great way for new players to identify some of the best competitive maps in use today. Check it out HERE.

VirtualScape Map Builder
VirtualScape is a free software program that allows you to build maps on your computer. THIS THREAD by @LongHeroscaper provides an introduction to the software for new users.

Delta Pricing
Led by @dok , this project is an alternative cost system for Heroscape. It reprices most Heroscape cards, with the goal of putting them on roughly equal competitive footing with each other in 400-600 point games on standard tournament maps. Alternative point costs are provided for both Classic-only and VC-inclusive metas. Learn more HERE.

Developing Better Strategy
Despite its relatively simple ruleset, Heroscape provides for surprisingly deep strategy and gameplay decisions. The resources below are great places to start for players looking to increase their skill level and understanding of the game.

Jexik’s “What’s In an Order Marker?” Strategy Guide
First posted in 2007, this strategy guide by @Jexik remains a highly relevant source of information, analyzing various Heroscape armies in terms of the specific role each individual unit performs. Many of the terms and concepts introduced in this article are still regularly referred to when discussing Heroscape strategy today. Check it out HERE.

CoV Podcast
Casters of Valhalla is a relatively new podcast featuring skilled players and is a fantastic way for anyone to get a better understanding of time-tested strategies, as well as the state of the current meta. New listeners are generally recommended to start at Episode 3, as the first two episodes are somewhat less focused. Check it out HERE.

“10 Points Under” Competitive Game Commentary
Hosted by @BiggaBullfrog and joined by various guests, this youtube series provides commentary on competitive online Heroscape games. This is a great way to understand how competitive players think about and approach various situations, and there’s a lot to be learned from watching high-tier competitive play. Check it out HERE.

Unit Tier Lists
Many people have compiled tier lists, ranking all the Heroscape units in order of their competitive strength. I’ve linked several of the most influential lists below.
SpiderPoison/Jexik's Power Rankings (Classic Only)
OEAO’s Power Rankings (Classic Only)
Cleon’s Unit Tier List (VC Inclusive)
Dok’s Power Rankings (VC Inclusive)

"How To... Heroscape" YouTube Series"
@Sir Heroscape has created a series of YouTube tutorial videos that provide an excellent insight into Heroscape strategy. His videos cover concepts ranging from basic to expert, and they're another great resource for new players. In addition to his "How To..." series, Sir Heroscape also uploads videos on a wide variety of Heroscape content, from battle reports to unit reviews. Check out the "How to... Heroscape" playlist HERE.

Custom Design Projects
The Custom Units & Army Cards section of this site is a fantastic repository of custom units from a wide variety of designers. However, over the years several groups have also emerged to fill specific niches within the customs community. I’ve highlighted a handful of the most significant projects below.

C3V Customs (Classic Custom Creators of Valhalla)
C3V is a group of players working to create fun, reliable, playtested Heroscape customs that are designed to work seamlessly with all other C3V and SoV customs, as well as official Heroscape units. This project began shortly after Heroscape was officially discontinued, and since then has consistently released waves of new designs, earning a widespread level of respect and acceptance within the Heroscape community for their creativity and competitive balance. Visit the Valhalla Customs website or the “Welcome to C3V” thread to learn more about the project.

SoV Customs (Soldiers of Valhalla)
The SoV is a group of players that approves and highlights designs that fit seamlessly alongside Classic and C3V releases. Unlike C3V, anyone can nominate their own personal custom to be considered for SoV approval. Today, the SoV and C3V work closely together to ensure that any design released or approved by either project is fully compatible with all past and future designs. Taken together, the collective body of units released by SoV and C3V is often referred to as Valhalla Customs (abbreviated as VC). Visit the “Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion” thread to learn more about the project.

AotV Customs (Arena of the Valkyrie)
Arena of the Valkyrie is a community driven effort to create a new Master Set that is compatible with both Classic Heroscape and VC (C3V and SoV) customs. AotV uses figures and materials from all three Arena of the Planeswalkers sets (Arena of the Planswalkers, Battle for Zendikar, and Shadows over Innistrad). Although work on the project is still in progress, the Master Set will eventually feature maps, scenarios, and other features you’d expect from a master set. This project provides a very inexpensive option for new players to acquire a large number of designs that can be used to affordably start or expand their Classic Heroscape collection. Visit the “Welcome to AotV and FAQ!” thread to learn more about the project.

C3G Customs (Comic Customs Creators Guild)
The C3G is a collaborative project that produces Heroscape content based on superheroes and other comic franchises. Since 2009, members of C3G have collaborated to design over 1300 custom units to be played with one another. Visit the “Welcome to C3G! - Directory” thread to learn more about the project.

Play Heroscape Online

Online Heroscape App
It’s possible to play Heroscape online via a free online app. User @superfrog has created a great guide for beginners to get started using the online client. Check it out HERE.

Online Heroscape Tournament League
Currently finishing its forty-seventh season as of May 2022, the OHS league runs regular tournament seasons, with each season consisting of four games, followed by playoffs including everyone who won at least three of their four regular season games. The community is very welcoming to new players, and it's a great way to meet other Heroscapers and improve your skill at the game. New seasons are announced in the “Online Heroscape Event Announcements” thread.

While each of the above resources is useful in its own right, the greatest Heroscape resource is the incredible community of players that has developed around this game. If you have any questions about the resources above, or the game in general, just reach out on this site or Discord and someone will be more than happy to respond and help you out. Also, if you know of any other helpful resources that would fit this guide, let me know and I’ll include them above.

Last edited by Captain Stupendous; August 8th, 2022 at 12:28 PM.
Old May 26th, 2022, 12:04 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: The Beginner's Guide to Heroscape Resources

GREAT Post, this is a very muchly needed resource. This should be Stickied and be a staple resource for all new users.

4 Additional Resources to add...

1. Under the Competitive Map Index would be good to add the ARV which has also been a very integral part in the maintenance of competitive map making over the last few years.

2. Under the Developing Better Strategy (or there could just be a separate section for "Active YouTube Channels" since there are quite a few now) I'd appreciate a link/description to my "Sir Heroscape" YouTube Channel as I've got some pretty useful content including my "How to Win Heroscape" series and Heroscape Tutorial for new players.

3. Under the Player Aids, Xorlof's Custom Card Creator software should be linked for users who want to quickly create their own custom cards. While it is currently experiencing technical difficulties...it would still be good to link it here.

4. You should actually add the download link for VirtualScape HERE

EDIT: @Xotli @japes you've helped before...do you or one of the other admins have to power to sticky this thread? This is a great resource.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; May 26th, 2022 at 12:10 PM. Reason: adding #4
Old May 26th, 2022, 01:09 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Also, I recently wanted to take inventory on my Heroscape figures, but there's no VC inclusive list...so I created one. I'll keep it updated as new VC expansions come out or corrections/updates are made.

The download can be found here.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 26th, 2022, 06:14 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

This should prove to be a helpful resource for many, well done! Small correction, though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stupendous View Post
Since the beginning, Heroscapers.com has been THE destination for Heroscape-related discussion and resources.
I believe there were two other online Heroscape communities before Heroscapers came along. I wasn't part of either of them so their names are escaping me right now, but a lot of the old-timers on this site were carryovers from the previous ones.
Old May 26th, 2022, 06:51 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

heroscape.net went online a few weeks before the game was first released. It was started by hero and existed for about a year. I joined it about two months before it closed. Then came heroscapehq.com which also existed for about a year. I think I'm getting this right, without double-checking my memory, considering I'm an old-timer.
Old May 26th, 2022, 08:24 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
This should prove to be a helpful resource for many, well done! Small correction, though:

Quote:
Since the beginning, Heroscapers.com has been THE destination for Heroscape-related discussion and resources.
I believe there were two other online Heroscape communities before Heroscapers came along. I wasn't part of either of them so their names are escaping me right now, but a lot of the old-timers on this site were carryovers from the previous ones.
Thanks for this feedback! I've updated the opening to say "Since its arrival in 2006, Heroscapers.com has been..."

Is that accurate? Or did Heroscapers.com take a little while to truly take off as it were? (If anyone wanted to create a "history of Heroscapers.com" post, I'd definitely be interested in reading it and preserving the history).

Last edited by Captain Stupendous; May 26th, 2022 at 09:57 PM.
Old May 26th, 2022, 08:32 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Seems accurate to me, the site was pretty bustling by the time I joined in 2007.
Old May 27th, 2022, 04:00 AM

Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post

Quote:
Thanks for this feedback! I've updated the opening to say "Since its arrival in 2006, Heroscapers.com has been..."

Is that accurate? Or did Heroscapers.com take a little while to truly take off as it were? (If anyone wanted to create a "history of Heroscapers.com" post, I'd definitely be interested in reading it and preserving the history).
hex had a blog post giving a bit of history of the previous two fansites: https://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=440

As far as I can tell (I wasn't around at the time), by the time Heroscapers was started, HQ was basically unusable due to downtime/lag (in fact, this is why Heroscapers was started), so I think it's accurate to say that it has been THE destination since it's founding.

~KoS, who learned today that UPC's transitional site from after the death of .net is actually still up: https://heroscape.proboards.com/

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion