Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Notices

Old June 27th, 2017, 05:27 AM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Soulscape Project- Converting the Dark Souls game to

Put in quite a bit of work tonight on the cards, wordings etc. I will edit this post with the images shortly but for now will post thoughts.

I'm currently very happy with O/S other than how wordy they are, especially considering I havent used Ornsteins full name yet. Any ideas of getting wordiness down is welcome because other than that I think the main thing to do with them is playtest.

I think I like TD and hes not too wordy but he is the number one unit that needs playtesting. I've knocked his defense down to 6 pre emptively since I think a similar nerf would be inevitable.

Sentinels- Really like where they are at. Wrath of God I definitely want to keep in terms of the name, but what it does I am not as positive on as the rest of the package, but I'm happy to try it out and see if it clicks. I put them as Demigods as well, but I am not sure if they are the same demigod race as the others or if they actually are giants...

Boreal Knight- Very complete IMO, just need to get his type to fit in photoshop and he is playtest ready I believe.

SK's- I like the archers other than being too wordy. Not sure what the solution should be. The swordsmen still dont feel distinct in my mind. Deadly strike is a fun keyword and fairly dark soulsy but I'm not sure what quite to do with them, not that just making them the bread and butter front line generic unit of the SK's is inherently a problem. They dont particularly do anything interesting in the game other than occasionally curb stomp a new or unsuspecting player.

Winged Knight- Not sure on his race. I put ascendant since they are ascending to be angels but I am sure there is a better term. I think his special is interesting and could give someone pause before committing too many troops around him. As is he is kind of like an inconsistent and weaker but cheaper Nif who I gave reach for now but could either get a buff vs. large units, have a sweep attack that affects units next to one another or something. His weapon is really incredible so it would be good to emphasize that in these other abilities whichever we may choose. Because his special is semi complicated/wordy I want to limit the other abilities to feeling on the more basic side.

Hollows- If we do go with deadly strike I dont mind the similarity between the SK's and them, its the kind of similarities that make sense. While I dont mind the simplicity of such units I am down to keep brainstorming,
Old June 27th, 2017, 03:24 PM

Apotheox is surprisingly tart

Sentinels
I think we're on the same page here. I'm of the opinion that it would be very nice for them to have some adaptation of Wrath of the Gods, although I am unsure if its current iteration quite hits the mark in regards to what we want the Sentinels to be. Current iteration has potential and interesting effects on how the opponent approaches them, but it might not be what we want in the end. Will have to playtest to see for now.

SK
Agree that archers are on the wordy side. If you look at the bonding text as an inherent quality like any squad, the two remaining powers being as wordy as they are doesn't seem as big of a deal anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoserver View Post
They dont particularly do anything interesting in the game other than occasionally curb stomp a new or unsuspecting player.
That's what I was hoping would come out of Deadly Strike and the repositioning power. Perhaps what we should aim for is bread and butter but with a little more edge or potential for danger?

So far the Archers and Sentinels are defensive/controlling in nature. I think it would be befitting if the Swordsmen were to complement this.

Winged Knight
For species, I wouldn't go with Ascended since he is still in the process of "ascension". The golden version of these guys are actually called Ascended Winged Knights, and they have feathered wings that are quite large.

Aside from their regular halberd attacks, the only other attacks that stand out are Divine Pillars of Light and their chain spin attack, which is much like the Dancer's. I think Whirlwind Assault would be simple and effective at conveying his in-game spin attack (while appropriate being "winged" since SotM Raelin has it too).

Speaking of Kyries, didn't the Winged Knights swear their loyalty and piety to angels? Perhaps something interesting can be done here.

Maybe I'm missing out on some lore details but I'm not sure why he would get a bonus vs. large figures. Are you thinking because of his large weapon?

My First Take/Draft:
Spoiler Alert!
Old June 28th, 2017, 10:58 AM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

SK-Its not that I think they are wordy in the confusing sense per se, but I want to avoid crowded cards as much as possible as it is one of the primary no-no's of designing customs IMO and can alienate new players seeing them or people considering incorporating them in their collection.

Winged knight-I don't actually want to do ascendant, just a placeholder. While whirlwind assault is thematic Im worried it would be redundant with the special, hence maybe something like reach etc. Not sure. I definitely like the idea of divine pillars and a simple ability though.
Old June 30th, 2017, 04:31 PM

Deleted

Last edited by chaoserver; September 18th, 2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old July 1st, 2017, 02:30 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Love what you got so far! Hopefully I can take time to go through every thing in detail, and maybe even playtest them later, but for now the thing that stood out to me immediately is how strong the Dancer is. Right now she excels at killing squads (possible better than even Quahon and Q9), but due to grasp she'll be a very strong hero killer as well. Even with swingy d20 mechanics she seems like a steal at 210, with only a few heroes like Jotun seeming like they have a chance at taking her on 1v1.

I get thematically why grasp and frenzy are there, but frenzy is already represented by Blade Dance, so maybe she'd be better off without it. Grasp is a fun ability I'd like to see stay. I can't wait to give her a go!

Overall it might help to cut back on the amount of d20 abilities, that would take care of a lot of the wordiness issue, and make them easier to understand and balance. For instance:

KNOCKBACK SHOT
If a Silver Knight Archer deals one or more wounds with a normal attack, you may move the wounded figure up to two spaces away from the Silver Knight Archer. The figure must be on the same height or lower than where it started

Wording isn't perfect, but it really really simplifies the power, and keeps them from interrupting another figures turn, which can cause some wonky issues.

Last edited by orgsbane; July 1st, 2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:01 AM

Apotheox is surprisingly tart

Dancer
For wordiness we can refer to her as "the Dancer" once she's already been mentioned by her full title in that power.

Winged Knight and Titanite Demon
Compared side by side the Titanite Demon looks stronger for the same point cost. What do you think?

Sentinels
I get that they "guard" the entrance to O/S, but not being sentinels when they are called Royal Sentinels seems odd. Note Sentinels of Jandar as an example. Sentinel is also more fitting than guard because they keep watch and act upon an area. Guard is a more general term. Note Obsidian Guards, Dumutef Guard, Granite Guardians, and Blastatrons.

A better name for "Bar Path" would be Intercept Movement. It more accurately represents what happens, incorporates game terminology, and is more universal. If you look at other powers in the game they follow a similar naming convention.

Next time we change the card make sure it's "Wrath of the Gods" and not "Wrath of Gods".

SK Archers
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgsbane View Post
KNOCKBACK SHOT
If a Silver Knight Archer deals one or more wounds with a normal attack, you may move the wounded figure up to two spaces away from the Silver Knight Archer. The figure must be on the same height or lower than where it started

Wording isn't perfect, but it really really simplifies the power, and keeps them from interrupting another figures turn, which can cause some wonky issues.
I like this idea, although it reduces the feeling you get in-game by a bit.

We also need to tread lightly with powers that interrupt turns.

Quote:
Right now she excels at killing squads (possible better than even Quahon and Q9), but due to grasp she'll be a very strong hero killer as well.
She will never have Grasp and the double Blade Dance at her disposal at the same time, so you must measure her power accordingly. Think of her like a stronger Krug that gains more attacks that are weaker instead of getting stronger attacks. She is essentially a hero killer that later becomes a squad killer with no overlap in between the two states. Send in your squads and large/huge figures first when she can't mow them down as effectively and then send in your other heroes once she can't use her Grasp.
Old July 2nd, 2017, 07:55 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotheox View Post
Dancer
Quote:
Right now she excels at killing squads (possible better than even Quahon and Q9), but due to grasp she'll be a very strong hero killer as well.
She will never have Grasp and the double Blade Dance at her disposal at the same time, so you must measure her power accordingly. Think of her like a stronger Krug that gains more attacks that are weaker instead of getting stronger attacks. She is essentially a hero killer that later becomes a squad killer with no overlap in between the two states. Send in your squads and large/huge figures first when she can't mow them down as effectively and then send in your other heroes once she can't use her Grasp.
I get that, but with 8 life and Frenzy I'd happily disengage from whatever is being thrown at her for a juicer target. That being said I've played enough WH40k to know that a unit can look overpowered on paper but turns out to be a overpriced dump of points in game (hello, Swarmlord). It'll be interesting to see how she turns out.

I agree with you about the WK vs TD, TD seems much more powerful. That's a massive attack radius and number of attacks for a 5 attack. I can already hear the distant screams of melee squads...
Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:13 PM

Dancer Balance
I certainly respect your concerns about Dancer, especially at first blush she seems insanely well rounded, but I do suspect its a deception. I never want a unit to come out of here that is too strong, I wouldn't want most to even contend with solid tournament armies, but Dancer is probably the most up there just because her kit is quite well rounded.

Aubriens with height or glyph have similar damage out put at a range with frenzy to her when she is enraged, and her damage output with her special is paltry unless she's frenzying out of control. I am happy to tweak numbers if she proves too good, as a lot of these numbers are EXTREMELY rough starting points with only vague thought put in based off off-the top of the heads consideration as to how they compare to other units and how they will actually play. She is extremely well rounded, but definitely not moreso than Q9 IMO- its more someone like Nif I am concerned about and comparing to, even though he's less points.

I really think she will play a lot tamer against most armies. The only thing that stands out on surface level is that she seems good vs both squads and heroes, but I don't think it'll pan out like that due to the enrage feature meaning you aren't always getting the best of both worlds. But I love the feedback and think we will all end up agreeing on something once we get to playtesting

Sentinels
For the sentinels, funnily enough I actually made the change to sentinels and just accidentally uploaded the wrong version of the card, I am in agreement.

WK vs TD
Td is likely getting nerfed heavily in some respect, the main is deciding how. And the WK might need to be stronger. They, especially TD are very rough sketches. WK will be easier to test for sure. My thoughts on his design should be an average brawler with an inconsistent AOE- I had nif and Drake in my mind when putting him together, making him cheaper than drake at the cost of an attack, a move, and the extremely relevant thorians speed. I referenced nif to make his special decidedly worse. Now the question is just making him feel interesting and worthwhile within those confines. I view him as a pretty basic unit though and would like to keep things pretty terse. Def need feedback/thoughts on him

SK
A good suggestion- I'm trying to convey how they feel in game with you rushing up and getting knocked back. They are such an iconic unit I am trying to capture that part of them. I would be willing to knock off the arrow effect if we can pare down the wording of bonding or that ability. Keeping it also maintains the small sub theme in this mini set of auras, not that its essential by any stretch. Again though, the more ideas here the better, if the community wants something I am all for it, even if it goes against my initial gut feeling. Also simplicity is something I definitely value. No one wants a bible on their customs

I'm going away for the 4th-9th so I can't do anything card generation related but I will be popping in still to see ideas etc.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:42 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I just picked this up, and I'm hoping you guys are still working on this, because the figures are really nice.

Will you guys also make cards for the expansion they are releasing for the board game?
Old September 2nd, 2017, 11:10 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I just picked this up, and I'm hoping you guys are still working on this, because the figures are really nice.

Will you guys also make cards for the expansion they are releasing for the board game?
There are quite a few expansions coming. I kickstarted it and have 6 more expansions coming in the form of stretch goals.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 2nd, 2017, 04:38 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
There are quite a few expansions coming. I kickstarted it and have 6 more expansions coming in the form of stretch goals.
Yeah, I'm heavily debating getting all of them, or just most of them...
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:59 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Yeah, I'm heavily debating getting all of them, or just most of them...
Ill play my copy for the first time today. I have a couple of my brothers and a friend from work coming out to play it.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum