Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old February 5th, 2017, 08:39 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Hahma,

I did not know that! In Hawaii I service wise visited the Fort Derussy museum and of course the Arizona site. It makes sense, though. And it was an amphibious landing, too, which works for the Marines!
Old February 5th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I've never played one of those D&D games like that Japes. They seem like they could be neat, but then again, maybe not. 3 turns isn't exactly much playing.
Heh, reminds of Battletech.
At Cons you would be lucky to complete a turn an hour.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:02 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

If any of you are interested in playing PBEM Diplomacy with a bunch of Heroscapers, check out the thread here:
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=53767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:37 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played another installment of our Seafall campaign this weekend. We are all still keenly interested in finishing, although we have decided that one game per session is the right amount now. We tried playing 2 games once before and by the end we were saying things like "I see why people quit half way through". Too much of a good thing starts to seem like a not so good thing. We unlocked something really innovative this last game and now we have thinking about how that will change things to build anticipation until our next game.

Also, tried out @akden 's copy of 51st State hoping I would like it as much as Imperial Settlers since it was billed as a thinkier version. It is that and I like that part about it, but something didn't click. The theme is something I have liked in the past, similar to Badlands or Fallout, but it fell a little flat for me. I thought it was because I was a little distracted, but having had time to absorb it, I think it is because I mostly played Imperial Settlers solo due to the minimal player interaction and this game only has slightly more interaction. I need to give it another plat before I make up my mind, because the gameplay is good.

Played a few games of Clank! and Potion Explosion before the Super Bowl. Deck builders used to be a huge part of our weekly gaming starting with Dominion, then Thunderstone, DC Card Game, PACG, etc. I guess we got burned out on them, because I think it has been a couple of years since we got one to the table. Clank! was a hit, combining deck building with a press your luck style dungeon delving that can drastically impact your plans. With only 2 maps, I can see limitations to the amount of replay, but there is plenty that is randomized that can make each game different. Also, I believe an expansion is coming to vary the 100 card dungeon deck. Potion Explosion is fun, but can wear our its welcome pretty quickly with adults. My daughter loves it for now though, so I will play because it is a game.

Started building my Blood Bowl Dwarf team during Seafall then finished them at home. Hopefully we will get a league started soon. They seriously need some paint on them, but sadly they are in the queue behind 100s of other minis.
Old February 6th, 2017, 12:03 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I've never played one of those D&D games like that Japes. They seem like they could be neat, but then again, maybe not. 3 turns isn't exactly much playing.
I've never played any game like that. I could see where it could be fun in the long run but for a one night get together...I'd hoped to play some other games I'd been wanting to try but this one just took too long. My wife did get to play Pandemic for the first time. She seemed to enjoy it. I sat in on it for the last few turns. They won on what would have been the last turn.

They had dominion 7 wonders, and catan out as well (three games I've never seen played but wanted to) and I had hoped to at least get a view but it didn't happen.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 6th, 2017, 12:18 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post

I've never played any game like that. I could see where it could be fun in the long run but for a one night get together...I'd hoped to play some other games I'd been wanting to try but this one just took too long. My wife did get to play Pandemic for the first time. She seemed to enjoy it. I sat in on it for the last few turns. They won on what would have been the last turn.

They had dominion 7 wonders, and catan out as well (three games I've never seen played but wanted to) and I had hoped to at least get a view but it didn't happen.
I used to own the Dungeons and Dragons Castle Ravenloft board game but eventually sold it. It's just not my type of game. I've come to realize that dungeon crawler style games are not enjoyable to me. I also would agree with your feelings on the game--there's a lot of downtime compared to when you get to take your turns, and all too often I think there's not very many true choices to take on your turn--it's generally pretty clear what you should be doing.

Pandemic is a great game though, as are those others you listed. I enjoy playing many of them (although Catan the least, but mostly because I've played too many games of Catan in my life that I've become burnt out).

As for what I've been playing, got in LotR LCG x3. Still really enjoy this game but I'm starting to think I should limit myself on future purchases. I already have enough cards to keep myself plenty happy for a long while, I haven't even tried all the quests yet. I'll probably try to fill out the few adventure packs I am missing from the first cycle and get the remaining saga expansions as I like those the best and call myself good.

I've also been getting into the Arkham Horror LCG which is similar but distinct enough. Cory also plays that with me from time to time and I think I may actually like that more, but I'm not sure. You get to actually play a bit more in AH LCG rather than always having to tweak your deck to fit the quest. Plus campaign mode is the default play style for AH and it's really enjoyable.

Else, I played Caverna which is still one of my favorite games of all time. As always had a great time with this. Didn't do so well this game, but wanted to try to see how the game would go without a focus on family growth--unsurprisingly it doesn't work well. Both this and Agricola really do require you to be focused on growing your family first and other stuff later....which is fine but it does make the openings feel constrained to me. I continue to play a decent bit of A Feast for Odin and I think I prefer how that game just provide everyone with a new worker each round so there is no fight or focus on family growth and players can instead freely explore the rest of the game.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old February 6th, 2017, 05:03 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A friend suckered me into X-Wing, playing second game with him tonight.
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:36 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Firefly The Game's new small expansion is just out. Crime and Punishment looks like a winner, and rebalances the game for us vets, with only four small pages of new rules. It doubles the size of the Misbehave deck, which adds many subtle changes to the game. The new Alliance Alert mechanic is challenging, and there are two new Set Up and two new Story cards, some of which make the game play faster.
Old February 8th, 2017, 01:29 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Firefly The Game's new small expansion is just out. Crime and Punishment looks like a winner, and rebalances the game for us vets, with only four small pages of new rules. It doubles the size of the Misbehave deck, which adds many subtle changes to the game. The new Alliance Alert mechanic is challenging, and there are two new Set Up and two new Story cards, some of which make the game play faster.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't even know a new expansion was coming, now I'll have to go pick it up.
Old February 8th, 2017, 03:30 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Got to play Star Wars: Rebellion for the first time last night. I really liked it, and lost handily as the Rebels. I'd definitely like to try it again now that I have an understanding of how it plays, and it seems like the kind of game that takes a few plays before it really sinks in and you gain a good feel for best use of your leaders and missions. The story elements that come from the card play add some fun moments.

Also got to play some Heroscape last weekend at a Columbus, Cleveland, Pittsburgh (C2P) tournament. So much fun and every time I get to meet new scapers and get to spend time with familiar faces I've meet before, I'm always impressed by the community. Such great people!
Old February 10th, 2017, 08:41 AM

OTHER PEOPLE'S GAMES

For a long time, I'd been playing mostly my own games, with gamers who did not own much themselves, but would come over to try out what I had bought. But in the last six months or so, I've been fortunate to play more games owned by other people. Here are the ones I can think of right now:

Churchill
Ecipse
Hands In The Sea
Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne
Gloomhaven (last night)
Rum and Bones (Second Edition: in a few days)
Scythe
Sola Fide
Terraforming Mars
Thirteen Days

Its good to have friends!
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:55 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

@chas

Yes, definitely good to have friend with games that you get to play but don't have to pay for

How did you like Gloomhaven?

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games