Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old June 8th, 2015, 10:45 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Kickstarter: What game(s) are you currently Kickstarting

Here is one I thought was neat. The game looks like it would be fun but the dice are awesome!

Old June 15th, 2015, 11:39 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

With a 42 day campaign now half over, Mare Nostrum Empires, now approaching $350,000 continues to be an impressive KS effort. While I at first thought some of the many stretch goals were often simply components you really need to play the base game, the fact is that much more is going on here. Uwe at Academy Games and his French compatriots including original designer Serge Laget are dialoging with us directly or indirectly both on KS Comments and Boardgamegeek, and the result is that while they have already playtested most of the elements they offer, they have added or are designing a number of new things just for us based on our comments, to be included if possible. This seems pretty responsive to me, although I'm a relative KS newbie.

For example, several of us mentioned that we'd rather see different scenario starting possibilities for games with fewer than the full five players, and they are now designing them! They are also trying to include the six player expansion which will even include a new board expansion! Special add-ons are now appearing as they figure out what they can afford to offer or must charge extra for, etc. In the meantime they are actually redesigning some components based on gamer feedback. I don't know how usual this is, but it seems pretty amazing to me, and I'm glad to be aboard.

Recent feedback from the Origins Convention has veteran players of the original game (and its "Mythology" Expansion) praising this 2.0 version (Mare Nostrum Empires) as a nicely improved game, and you can't get better comments than that!
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:54 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

@chas - I've been watching Mare Nostrum, and there is a lot of talk about the 6 player expansion and how they are going to add Atlantis and a game board extension. Yet that has still not shown up on the stretch goals and the pledging has definitely slowed. It is currently at about 355k, and the highest stretch goal out there now is 390k. Short of a late days rally, I don't see it making the 390k, let alone whatever the goal will be for a 6 player expansion, if that goal ever materializes.

Has there actually been any evidence or statement regarding the inclusion of the 6 player expansion, or is it so far just hopes and dreams of the current backers?
Old June 17th, 2015, 11:36 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Porkins,

This is the perhaps the most asked question about Mare Nostrum Empires, both on bgg and the KS Comments page.

The answer is yes, there have been several statements that they plan to include the Six Player Expansion. Uwe of Academy Games has said that they are looking into putting the six player in as a stretch goal, as so many really want it (including me), although originally they had perhaps not done so, as the French designer had earlier said it would not be included. Uwe has now said it will include a map expansion into Spain and Western Africa. He also said it would include all of the tokens and etc. for a Sixth Player. They did not answer me about whether it actually included Atlantis, but I'd guess so, as there are a number of indications:

1. The expansion box is called Atlas. Atlas was a mythical king of Atlantis in the old game and in legend as well, apparently.

2. In the old game Atlantis was represented as only one space at sea past the Pillars of Hercules, so it would be easy once again to include it on such a map, and make sense as a six player position. Also, the new map expansion he mentions is identical to the old expansion as shown in the old rules, except for that Atlantis space! Having now printed out and read the rules to the old game and its expansion, and seeing how the new changes keep but streamline most of the major aspects of the old one, I'd be very surprised if they didn't include it.

3. They are looking into adding more mythological creatures, and Atlantis falls into the myth category itself, doesn't it?

One person pointed out that there was a recent investment surge when the two Add Ons were announced--the poker chip resource box and the extra dice sets (neither of which I intend to go for). Uwe has now said that they plan to offer a future add on which will be more detailed plastic minis for the units, as it would take too long to include such, and make them blow their November delivery date. They were late on their last KS delivery, and seem to be doing everything they can to not repeat the delay. And they are being honest about what they can and cannot do.

Personally, I think they're just saving the 6 Player as The Big Finish if they do well enough to afford to produce it. There are still over two weeks left to go. And while investment has slowed down, I've noted that slow has also been steady, and a new SG has fallen every few days--we're talking about almost 30 SGs for this design! While most have been preplanned and play tested as they say, they do seem to be using the long campaign length to make further changes and embellishments that were not originally prepared.

We'll see.

Chas

Last edited by chas; June 17th, 2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:45 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Cool, thanks for the response. I must spread some rep around.
Old June 18th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Well I just backed Mare Nostrum Empires as a birthday gift to myself

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:06 AM

Hahma,

Happy Birthday! I don't mean to sound like a salesman; its just that I've been waiting 15 years to play it a second time, and now I get to play and own a better game! I hope we'll all be pleased with the result.
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:54 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The Gallerist

Old June 18th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I love the look of the box but wow, does that gameplay look bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old June 18th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Hahma,

Happy Birthday! I don't mean to sound like a salesman; its just that I've been waiting 15 years to play it a second time, and now I get to play and own a better game! I hope we'll all be pleased with the result.

Thanks Chas!

Thanks you for all your updates here and on BGG. Stellar work!

I've been following this new release for awhile, as several guys in my game group have been discussing it on our group's Facebook page. A few of us are getting it. Since the project went longer than normal, I just figured I'd wait until my actual birthday to officially back it.

Can't wait to play this again and with this version.

Old June 18th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I love the look of
the box but wow, does that gameplay look bad.

Actually, I think it looks pretty interesting. Seems like you'd have to manage a lot of different things you may want to do, but have to choose when to do them and if it's worth going to the same location as another player because it will benefit that other player.

I like that there are simple actions but tough choices.

The designer has some good games on his resume, with Vinhos, Co2 and Kanban.

Old June 18th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

To each his own, Hahma. Happy Birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games