Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #13  
Old February 14th, 2019, 07:31 PM
The Dewk's Avatar
The Dewk The Dewk is offline
 
Join Date: November 19, 2016
Location: USA - UT - Salt Lake City
Posts: 481
Images: 28
The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Is it even possible...

Hey! I had the same question, and sought to answer the question through trying and trying to perfect the ultimate all-Hero army and winning with it at a tournament. However, I wouldn’t allow myself to build with Q9 or RotV Raelin, and I had access to SOV/C3V units. In the end, I finally achieved my goal just last month, as @BiggaBullfrog mentioned above.

The lynchpin of the army is Rygarn, and my next two must-haves IMO are Asterios (anti-squad) and The Varja (anti-range and anti-OM sink armies). You’ve got 130 points left over (in a classic 500 point format, anyway), and I usually went with Kaemon Awa for his special attack, and Isamu. But now we have Bol, and he’s better in this army.
But other decent options at 130 are Krug, a Fen Hydra, Ashi-Dhulu, and Agent Skahen. Oh, and Hatamoto Taro, of course.

To answer your question, yeah, it can be done. But you don’t have room for much error. And the glyph of Kelda being in the glyph pool helps too. Haha.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 14th, 2019, 10:43 PM
Sir Heroscape's Avatar
Sir Heroscape Sir Heroscape is offline
Sir Formerly Known As adoney
 
Join Date: September 14, 2015
Location: U.S - Idaho - Boise
Posts: 4,589
Images: 72
Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Is it even possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewk View Post
Hey! I had the same question, and sought to answer the question through trying and trying to perfect the ultimate all-Hero army and winning with it at a tournament. However, I wouldn’t allow myself to build with Q9 or RotV Raelin, and I had access to SOV/C3V units. In the end, I finally achieved my goal just last month, as @BiggaBullfrog mentioned above.

The lynchpin of the army is Rygarn, and my next two must-haves IMO are Asterios (anti-squad) and The Varja (anti-range and anti-OM sink armies). You’ve got 130 points left over (in a classic 500 point format, anyway), and I usually went with Kaemon Awa for his special attack, and Isamu. But now we have Bol, and he’s better in this army.
But other decent options at 130 are Krug, a Fen Hydra, Ashi-Dhulu, and Agent Skahen. Oh, and Hatamoto Taro, of course.

To answer your question, yeah, it can be done. But you don’t have room for much error. And the glyph of Kelda being in the glyph pool helps too. Haha.
And I had to be on the receiving end of it but yes it can be done. I'll actually be posting the video of this game this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 14th, 2019, 11:02 PM
Astroking112's Avatar
Astroking112 Astroking112 is online now
 
Join Date: March 15, 2011
Location: USA - TX - Dallas
Posts: 1,874
Images: 20
Blog Entries: 29
Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Astroking112 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Is it even possible...

Rygarn, Asterios, and The Varja sounds like a great base for an army, and Kaemon never disappoints. I'll have to try that one out sometime. It's also the perfect chance to use Bol instead of Isamu, which is a plus in my book.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old February 15th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Tiamat's Avatar
Tiamat Tiamat is offline
 
Join Date: February 7, 2018
Location: USA - mi- Ann Arbor
Posts: 79
Tiamat knows what's in an order marker Tiamat knows what's in an order marker Tiamat knows what's in an order marker
Re: Is it even possible...

@The Duke that is so cool! Your army build is really a thing of beauty with how it all works together. My biggest fear with this approach would be an opponent who has multiple units of a ranged squad. I love how the Varja counters that by preventing an opponent from sinking all of their order markers into that squad in order to ping away at my heroes from a distance. And I can see how the versatility provided by Rygarn would be critical. I have to try him out.

I was considering running an all heroes build for the upcoming Michigan tournament which requires 250 out of the 500 points in an army to be Large/Huge. I would think that all heroes would stand a better chance in that format than a standard format. The catch is that there is no C3V/C3G allowed, so I would be restricted to classic scape. The build I was considering was Nilfheim, Tor Kul Na, and Atlaga. I like Nilf and TKN because they can both handle squads as well as heroes pretty well. And then I figured during a 5 round tournament Atlaga would be likely to win me at least one match with his Bolt. I don't think I'm actually going to run this army, but it got me to thinking about this question in general.

I appreciate all of the responses. It never occurred to me (thanks @Aldin ) that one of the many reasons going this route is difficult is that heroes can take multiple wounds from a single attack. It's obvious now, but I hadn't considered that aspect before. Killing squads requires lots of potentially wasted skulls. I guess that's just one more reason Squadscape is a thing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old February 15th, 2019, 08:42 PM
OrcElfArmyOne's Avatar
OrcElfArmyOne OrcElfArmyOne is offline
 
Join Date: August 6, 2011
Location: USA-CT-Hartford
Posts: 1,287
Images: 2
OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Is it even possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
@The Duke that is so cool! Your army build is really a thing of beauty with how it all works together. My biggest fear with this approach would be an opponent who has multiple units of a ranged squad. I love how the Varja counters that by preventing an opponent from sinking all of their order markers into that squad in order to ping away at my heroes from a distance. And I can see how the versatility provided by Rygarn would be critical. I have to try him out.

I was considering running an all heroes build for the upcoming Michigan tournament which requires 250 out of the 500 points in an army to be Large/Huge. I would think that all heroes would stand a better chance in that format than a standard format. The catch is that there is no C3V/C3G allowed, so I would be restricted to classic scape. The build I was considering was Nilfheim, Tor Kul Na, and Atlaga. I like Nilf and TKN because they can both handle squads as well as heroes pretty well. And then I figured during a 5 round tournament Atlaga would be likely to win me at least one match with his Bolt. I don't think I'm actually going to run this army, but it got me to thinking about this question in general.

I appreciate all of the responses. It never occurred to me (thanks @Aldin ) that one of the many reasons going this route is difficult is that heroes can take multiple wounds from a single attack. It's obvious now, but I hadn't considered that aspect before. Killing squads requires lots of potentially wasted skulls. I guess that's just one more reason Squadscape is a thing.
I think for that format, you're probably better off with Nilf, Major Q10, and either A) Cyprien and Isamu (for 4x Stingers/other range common spam) or B) Eltahale and Marcu (for Q9/other bigs). Q10 is nice because he gives you resistance to Marrden Hounds' plague and a sturdy body with a long range and a powerful special attack. Cyp and Eltahale are both great, so just choose the one who you prefer and/or think will be more helpful based on predicted matchups (I think I may lean Eltahale, but she is one of my favorite figures).

I'd be wary of relying on Atlaga to win you a game, especially when your army currently lacks an answer to Hounds. I've run Atlaga in tourneys before and he always underperforms; he's very fragile, and the one time you hit the Bolt, it will be on a cheap squaddie.

Last edited by OrcElfArmyOne; February 16th, 2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: The army I'm considering for GC ME is almost all heroes...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old February 16th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Tiamat's Avatar
Tiamat Tiamat is offline
 
Join Date: February 7, 2018
Location: USA - mi- Ann Arbor
Posts: 79
Tiamat knows what's in an order marker Tiamat knows what's in an order marker Tiamat knows what's in an order marker
Re: Is it even possible...

Dangit @OrcElfArmyOne ! Just when I thought I had convinced myself not to do this, your advice has me considering it again. I can see what you're saying about Atlaga. I think I was just looking for a good excuse to run him in a tournament. Your army is definitely a better way to go. I love Q10 and with the likelihood of hounds in this format that would be a great counter. Tough choice between Eltahale and Cyprien. I'll have to play test this a bit and see how it goes. Thanks for the comments.

BTW I love your updated version of the power rankings. One of the best threads on the forums.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old February 16th, 2019, 11:54 PM
OrcElfArmyOne's Avatar
OrcElfArmyOne OrcElfArmyOne is offline
 
Join Date: August 6, 2011
Location: USA-CT-Hartford
Posts: 1,287
Images: 2
OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Is it even possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat View Post
Dangit @OrcElfArmyOne ! Just when I thought I had convinced myself not to do this, your advice has me considering it again. I can see what you're saying about Atlaga. I think I was just looking for a good excuse to run him in a tournament. Your army is definitely a better way to go. I love Q10 and with the likelihood of hounds in this format that would be a great counter. Tough choice between Eltahale and Cyprien. I'll have to play test this a bit and see how it goes. Thanks for the comments.

BTW I love your updated version of the power rankings. One of the best threads on the forums.
Thanks for the kind words! When I have more time I'll get back on writing unit descriptions.

At the end of the day, run what you want; however, I think I'd rather have at least some other Kyrie if I was running Atlaga. And again, either way between Cyp and Eltahale should work well, either test a few games or just pick the one you are more comfortable with or like more.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:39 AM
Dysole's Avatar
Dysole Dysole is offline
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner
 
Join Date: March 17, 2008
Location: Oregon Eugeneish area
Posts: 15,002
Images: 252
Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Bolt From The Blue

I think Atlaga is best when paired with minions, but he was incredibly useful in the hex limit tourney I played in (no point limit, but you got more hexes the lower cost your units) where I basically suicided 7 move Runa into opposing start zones and he bolted a Krug. But this was a weird tourney and don't take it as results for the best way to play typical games. Treat Bolt like a bonus.

Personally, I'm always tempted to run dwerrow (dwarves for those of you who don't like archaic plurals) when it's a must be large/huge tourney. I like the Q10 suggestion as well. I don't like Cyprien against swarms but he is able to be incredibly mobile and wouldn't be a bad choice. I wouldn't run TKN without grubs. Personally, if I was building an army for this, I'd run dwarves x2, Q9, Krug/Hydra, Zeta. (Possibly dwarves x3, Q10, Krug/Hydra, Marcu or dwarves x2, Q10, Krug/Hydra, Heirloom)

If you want to stay all heroes though I'd go Q10, Eltahale, Hydra, Heirloom. Bunch of multiple attacks and range and everyone hits pretty hard with good durability.

~Dysole, who loves creating army ideas
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old February 17th, 2019, 08:11 AM
Lazy Orang's Avatar
Lazy Orang Lazy Orang is offline
Not Citrus
 
Join Date: November 10, 2012
Location: British Isles
Posts: 13,386
Images: 6
Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: Is it even possible...

Ooh, Heirloom's a good call. I remember him being one of my favourites in the year prior to discontinuation.


My Family's Classic Customs
- Suicidium Scourge
=====================
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old February 17th, 2019, 02:22 PM
TREX's Avatar
TREX TREX is offline
"like" happy
 
Join Date: February 24, 2010
Location: USA- ID- PRESTON
Posts: 6,960
TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun TREX is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Is it even possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewk View Post
Hey! I had the same question, and sought to answer the question through trying and trying to perfect the ultimate all-Hero army and winning with it at a tournament. However, I wouldn’t allow myself to build with Q9 or RotV Raelin, and I had access to SOV/C3V units. In the end, I finally achieved my goal just last month, as @BiggaBullfrog mentioned above.

The lynchpin of the army is Rygarn, and my next two must-haves IMO are Asterios (anti-squad) and The Varja (anti-range and anti-OM sink armies). You’ve got 130 points left over (in a classic 500 point format, anyway), and I usually went with Kaemon Awa for his special attack, and Isamu. But now we have Bol, and he’s better in this army.
But other decent options at 130 are Krug, a Fen Hydra, Ashi-Dhulu, and Agent Skahen. Oh, and Hatamoto Taro, of course.

To answer your question, yeah, it can be done. But you don’t have room for much error. And the glyph of Kelda being in the glyph pool helps too. Haha.
And I had to be on the receiving end of it but yes it can be done. I'll actually be posting the video of this game this weekend.
Just watched it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old February 17th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Tiamat's Avatar
Tiamat Tiamat is offline
 
Join Date: February 7, 2018
Location: USA - mi- Ann Arbor
Posts: 79
Tiamat knows what's in an order marker Tiamat knows what's in an order marker Tiamat knows what's in an order marker
Re: Is it even possible...

Yeah @Dysole I'm thinking dwarves will be popular in this format. They definitely make sense. Although the cost of the axegrinders (real world $) and the rule against C3V may keep that in check. I'm also expecting to to see a lot of Q9 builds.

And I'm with you on thinking up armies. I spend an inordinate amount of my limited time and (very limited) brain power doing just that.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old February 17th, 2019, 05:56 PM
flameslayer93's Avatar
flameslayer93 flameslayer93 is offline
I could go
 
Join Date: December 31, 2009
Location: Akina Pass (Cleveland, Ohio)
Posts: 7,054
Images: 92
Blog Entries: 36
flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Is it even possible...

The three official dwarf heroes are all really strong already, so you might still be able to run a dwarf build. But Q9 and probably Q10, are super good here. So really, you’ll need a counter for them.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 PM.

Heroscape background footer

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.