Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G Project
C3G Project A Place to gather C3G threads without interfering with other Marvel Customs creation

Old February 17th, 2015, 02:58 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Yet another Rectangular Cards thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
I also want to print cards for all the Glyphs. To save money, free up table space, and avoid having too much blank space on the army cards, I'm going to use Printers Studio's "mini" card size (2.5 x 1.75").
I think I had mentioned this before but in case I didn't...I think this is an excellent idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post

In a later post I'll show more examples, and discuss how glyph taxonomy and thus my card template design are impacted by Treasure Glyphs, Equipment Glyphs, Hasbro's color assignments, and the House of Brandar.
Looks good to me. Only nit pick would be the extra blank yellow space under your attribute boxes.

Oh and the yellow in general but you already knew that.
Old February 17th, 2015, 04:09 PM

Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Only nit pick would be the extra blank yellow space under your attribute boxes.
That's one of the details I'm still pondering. The current layout is a bit weird on the classic glyphs, but makes more sense in C3G.

Of course I'm trying to maintain some design consistency between glyph cards and figure cards. If this were a figure, we'd have one of the generals' icons to fill the void. I'm playing around with some different options, one of which is arbitrarily assigning a general to each glyph (but it's not my favorite solution). One of the trickiest things in card layout design is creating spaces that may or may not be empty.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; November 20th, 2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old February 17th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I just realized how long you have been onsite.

Any reason for the resurgence?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 26th, 2015, 07:01 PM

Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I just realized how long you have been onsite.

Any reason for the resurgence?
My Scape OCD seems to come in waves, I guess. And having a big project to work on like this rectangular-cards thing serves as kind of a nexus of activity.

Anyway, I've been refining my glyph templates. I've got better backgrounds now for the special power text and attributes, and I think I've solved the Marvel/DC logo placement problem. The "eureka" moment that made it all work for me was when I realized I could use a little glyph-type pictogram, similar in appearance to a hit zone, to visually connect these back to the army cards while filling in a physical design gap — and that these pictograms could actually communicate some useful information. (I'll explain them after a few card examples.)

On that last example, you can see that I plan to handle the special "glyph families" (currently the Utility and Infinity glyphs) by displaying, in the space where a Real Name would normally go, the exact gameplay phrase that's called out by the master effect that ties the family together.

In fact, that example also highlights how I am titling each card with the glyph's "natural name"; for example, just Police Scanner instead of "Glyph of Utility: Police Scanner." (Hasbro glyphs actually do not use the words "Glyph of" in their titles except when the template is Glyph of Made-up-single-word-name, so I could not find a reason to keep that on the equipment glyphs. It reads awkwardly, serves no gameplay purpose, and is ironically inconsistent with how Hasbro named their glyphs, so I'm omitting it.)

Back to the "hit zone" pictograms, I've created a different one for each of the three major glyph types (Glyph, Treasure Glyph, and Equipment Glyph).
The pictograms reflect the difference between what I informally call "foot glyphs" and "hand glyphs." The numbers and arrows are little reminders of the trade-offs between the two different types of hand glyphs: you can carry any number of Treasure Glyphs but can only drop them, whereas you can carry only one Equipment Glyph at a time but as an alternative to dropping it you can hand it off to another hero.

Some of the design decisions here regarding color choices, layout, and even the attributes listed on the cards may seem a bit surprising at first, but they are all based on a pretty rigorous analysis of all 90+ available glyphs, and the resulting story they tell about the inherent "glyph taxonomy." Everything here has been in pursuit of the underlying logic of the glyphs themselves, but I expect there will be some controversy. (For example, the existing army cards for the Equipment Glyphs do not list whether they are Permanent or Temporary, yet the EG designs themselves clearly fall into these categories just as the "regular" and Treasure Glyphs do.) I have attempted to incorporate relevant design dimensions into a single consistent "glyph worldview" even though other designers may have made some different assumptions.

One of the more unusual features is that I am designating "hand" glyphs as either Unique or Common, as a more consistent and re-usable way to indicate the special one-per-army rule for Ancient Artifact Treasure Glyphs (Revenant's Tome and Bolt of the Witherwood). As of this writing, no Equipment Glyphs are defined as Unique, but I will no doubt create some of my own, and certainly some of the existing ones could arguably be deemed Unique. (The Orange Central Power Battery and the Infinity Gauntlet seem like good candidates to think about.)

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; November 20th, 2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 26th, 2015, 08:04 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Nice work here. I like the layout.
Old March 4th, 2015, 05:59 PM

So I've started updating my work-in-progress army cards with the new text backgrounds and improved 3D effects. Definitely seems better. Thanks to those who kept mentioning how ugly the yellow background was, so I couldn't keep ignoring it.

First, a couple of DC cards:

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; November 20th, 2018 at 11:22 PM. Reason: changed to Aquaman and Two-Face
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:01 PM

Next, two from Image:

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; November 20th, 2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:02 PM

A couple of Marvels, including my favorite Mr. Dugan:

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; November 20th, 2018 at 11:23 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:03 PM

And finally a side-by-side of War Machine and my reskin of it as the MCU's Iron Patriot.

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; November 20th, 2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:38 PM
Never Forgets

laughing matter rolls all skulls baby! laughing matter rolls all skulls baby! laughing matter rolls all skulls baby! laughing matter rolls all skulls baby! laughing matter rolls all skulls baby!

Not trying to be a jerk, but I think this thread belongs in the comic hero custom creations section instead of the c3g section. I love these cards, but I feel like they're slightly misplaced, especially with the classic scape figures.

life's short, why not make an impact on the world? make some peoples lives better, have a few good laughs, and then when it's all over go out with BANG!
Old April 2nd, 2015, 01:53 PM

Yeah, good point. This started out all about C3G and then started to blur as I worked up templates for classic (the universes are naturally cross-connected when it comes to army card production). Anyway, I've now replaced all the offending examples with C3G units to see if I can keep the thread on-topic for this forum.

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; April 2nd, 2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old April 19th, 2015, 03:15 PM

As of last night, I finally have a Destructible Object template i can live with. Again I am planning to print using the half-size "mini" cards (2.5x1.75) at Printers Studio.

These things are tricky because there are three different flavors of D.O., with different parts that appear or disappear. As I mentioned earlier, one of the biggest challenges in layout design is planning for things that might be absent; and sure enough, the disappearing/reappearing Size, Height, Occupancy, and Move put me through a lot of design iterations and visual dead ends before I got here.

First, the two official ones:

Next, a couple of "vanilla" C3G D.O.s that don't have a size:

Now a couple that have a size/height bar. The trick here is to replace the little "manilla folder tab" portion of the image so that the aspect ratio of the hit zone area stays the same:

Vehicle D.O.s were giving me a headache until I hit upon the idea of treating Occupancy as just another number instead of a text attribute — which is really what it is anyway. Size/height is grouped with, and formatted like, the other text attributes because its "caption" (the size) is variable, whereas Occupancy has a static caption just like Life, Move, Range, Attack, and Defense.

Surely some will dislike the fact that I chose not to render these with a red title bar, but the reason is pretty simple. Normal D.O.s have a blue title background, and their predominant feature is that they defend (Defense = blue). Since the predominant feature of Vehicle D.O.s is that they move, and since Move = green, well...

Here we can get a sense of what these might look like on the table, size-wise (this image is zoomable; click to embiggen):

I actually rendered all 22 D.O.s as 400-pixel previews, so I'll throw the other 14 into a spoiler here.
Spoiler Alert!

As always, feedback is welcome!

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; November 20th, 2018 at 11:26 PM. Reason: grammar

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G Project