Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old October 5th, 2021, 02:24 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth Rÿchean is a man of the cloth
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
I'd like to officially nominate the entire BoV catalogue, found here.

I will begin working on my own write-ups tomorrow.
Was this really necessary? you nominated a whole bunch of maps that you knew were not gonna get approved, why? you should have just nominated the BOV maps that you thought were worthy.

Regardless of the who, what, when, or how of what happened before, nominating maps that you know are not worthy doesn’t make any sense to me.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 5th, 2021, 02:52 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rÿchean View Post
Quote:

Was this really necessary? you nominated a whole bunch of maps that you knew were not gonna get approved, why? you should have just nominated the BOV maps that you thought were worthy.

Regardless of the who, what, when, or how of what happened before, nominating maps that you know are not worthy doesn’t make any sense to me.
This would be a reasonable post maybe two months ago. Beyond that, I think OEAO was just doing his due diligence, and the judges (including OEAO) have since down voted the maps deemed not worthy.

EDIT: Not sure if it’s a coincidence or not, but Fossil receiving its second downvote yesterday is quite the timing.

Last edited by Sheep; October 5th, 2021 at 03:25 PM. Reason: As someone who looks forward to your presence and posts, this one was a bit disappointing. That’s all.
Old October 5th, 2021, 03:09 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:

I think it saves the future conversation of "I like <insert "unworthy" BoV map> why wasn't it nominated" from happening. It also forces the judges to evaluate each of the BoV maps. I appreciated it, personally.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old October 5th, 2021, 08:17 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:

Forgive me if I'm reading a little too much in between the lines.

I realize my reviews of some maps have not adequately reflected the respect that they deserve or the respect that I have for the mapmaker (that would absolutely include you, Rÿchean - and also @Dignan ). My review of Fossil is a good example of that. I am so sorry if you or any other mapmaker has felt hurt by one of the reviews that I have given of their maps. I will try to do better to show appreciation for the contributions of the BoV maps and their designers. The BoV maps have been a wonderful part of the community over the years and deserve recognition for that.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old October 5th, 2021, 08:50 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Could we get Highways and Dieways and Bad Moon Rising posted in the WoS display thread please? Thanks!
Old October 5th, 2021, 11:25 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I think it saves the future conversation of "I like <insert "unworthy" BoV map> why wasn't it nominated" from happening. It also forces the judges to evaluate each of the BoV maps. I appreciated it, personally.
Echo this. I took it as a sign of respect for the entire BoV corpus.
Old October 6th, 2021, 12:03 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Could we get Highways and Dieways and Bad Moon Rising posted in the WoS display thread please? Thanks!
Done! (Although I do plan on updating the links and images soon).
Old October 6th, 2021, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Although I do plan on updating the links and images soon.
Looking forward to it! Not sure how BMR ever got stuck with such an awfully blurry, unenlargeable image to begin with.
Old October 6th, 2021, 11:52 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Looking forward to it! Not sure how BMR ever got stuck with such an awfully blurry, unenlargeable image to begin with.
Done!

Also rescued Platypus from the photobucket curse.
Old October 6th, 2021, 04:48 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Done!

Also rescued Platypus from the photobucket curse.
Who-hoo! THANKS @superfrog .
Old October 6th, 2021, 05:19 PM
This is merely a joke.

Belly of the Beast by Sir Heroscape

I have played on this map quite a few times over the past few years. It's only got a few sets to work with terrain-wise, and it does an admirable job within those constraints.

The map is also highly asymmetrical which is unusual for tournament maps (Ticalla Jungle is about as asymmetric as you get). Despite that, it does feature a number of tournament-map staple design features like dueling roads, LoS blockers towards the center, a central shadow pool, high ground lava, and glyphs on each side. These all accomplish their goals relatively well. In my games, the glyphs get play, each road gets play, there's the standard end-of-round lava dances, and the central shadow strip helps figures stay alive as they advance.

Despite that, I have two notable concerns with this map. First, the aesthetics are rough. The start zones are clear but they are quite patchwork: one has 5 terrain types and one has 4. The rest of the map has similar issues with random hexes of rock and sand poking out in odd places. I'll also note (while the start zones are on my mind) that one has shadow and one doesn't. I think I'd always want to be in the shadow SZ, as it has a nice level 3 perch and easier access to the level 4 perch, as well as the aforementioned SZ shadow.

My second concern is more important: lateral movement on this map is difficult. The combination of walls, the big tree, and molten lava in the center makes it very hard to go sideways. The shadow path is nice, but is only a hex wide and quite easily clogged up. So, the way this map unfortunately often plays out is that both teams will file onto the level 2 road (because it's higher), and send figures in single file until the game is over. Ranged figures can camp near the back of that level 2 road, and although the level 1 road is sometimes used for a last-ditch effort, it doesn't get play as a main throughway.

Belly of the Beast is a unique map for sure, and does several things well, but unfortunately the cumbersome lateral movement means I have to vote

Last edited by superfrog; October 6th, 2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old October 11th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I didn't want to simply say yes to all the maps I've previously voted yes on before. So it has been great to re-immerse myself in these maps. And I have to say it is fun to be judging maps again. Especially maps of this caliber.

Ticalla Sunrise remains an unusual map. I don't usually like asymmetry or speed bumps coming out of the start zone. I'm also not usually a fan of a single hill, either.

However, Ticalla Sunrise mitigates this with smart glyphs, jungle cover, and a relatively level build. Height is never very high and most points are fairly exposed (i.e. melee units can surround high points relatively easily). Additionally, I like broad high points, so that it's harder to hold.

I would always be happy to sit down to this map, tournament or friendly play. I vote YES to induct Ticalla Sunrise.

Fulcrum is a bit tougher to review. Divided hills, higher (and singular) high points, make this map rough on melee and can turn into camping.

That said, the map is short enough and the jungle provides modest cover, allowing units to roll into position. This is a hard map and choices have to made carefully. Bad choices (even in setting up your start zone) can really affect your play.

I called this the closest thing to a chess board we have in Scape in my BoV induction post for it. I still think this is true. This map is a bit bare and offers distinctive challenges, but I think it delivers in play depth. I wouldn't want to play every game I ever played on this one. But I always enjoy pulling out this classic.

I vote YES to induct Fulcrum.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios