Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 13th, 2015, 12:11 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

Someone repped me for this and it reminded me that people in this thread might find it interesting. I wrote quite a long review of the game from a Heroscape perspective. Check it out if that sounds interesting to you. I'm not fishing for rep or gold or anything honestly, I just think people want to know more about the game. I happened to get a copy nice and early and I know I enjoy reading about a game I'm interested in so others might too. I am really liking this game and its potential. I hope it does well.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1399...cape-viewpoint
Old July 13th, 2015, 09:11 AM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Wizards will supposedly put out expansions. Don't expect much now, maybe just 1-2 waves. Do you think they'll make expansions based around the new sets, or fill in the long lore of magic. I would really like to see a legendary creature expansion, or goblins, more elves, etc. If we get huge figures, I would really like to see a Craterhoof Behemoth, Dragons, and more. Crossing my fingers for some good expansions.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:02 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
Wizards will supposedly put out expansions. Don't expect much now, maybe just 1-2 waves. Do you think they'll make expansions based around the new sets, or fill in the long lore of magic. I would really like to see a legendary creature expansion, or goblins, more elves, etc. If we get huge figures, I would really like to see a Craterhoof Behemoth, Dragons, and more. Crossing my fingers for some good expansions.
I was under the impression that they would be expanding this game alongside all their Magic licenses. ie it would be one world moving forward. I got this information from a die hard Magic fan so take that as you will. I trust that when he said he's read that's where they are taking the company, that's true. It makes sense anyway.

I would agree with you that this game needs some size. I want it to stand out on the battlefield with Dragons and other huge stuff. I of course love goblins and would love to see swarms of the little guys. They did tease common squads so maybe we'll see that soon. I will also be interested in how they will expand the spell deck. Will we see just spell deck expansions like 15 cards or so? I personally hope they will unveil news of expansions at Gencon this year. I think that would be the perfect way to show their support of a game that is not strictly Magic: The Gathering
Old July 13th, 2015, 01:29 PM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

As have many other Heroscapers, I've been interestedly following the MtG: Arena of the Planeswalkers board game. I have not purchased it yet, so I have no practical experience with the game itself.

There are many Heroscapers that want to quickly import the AotP figures into Heroscape as customs. There are also many Heroscapers (and others) expressing fear that WotC may not provide follow-on support (more waves) for the new game. More waves of AotP means additional easily obtainable minis for customs for Heroscape. I fall into both of these categories.

Is there a way that we 'scapers can support both of these goals? If we were able to create 'custom' squads for AotP from existing Heroscape minis, it would show a commitment to the new game. With so many Heroscape units to choose from, what would we choose?

The following idea is just to get folks thinking a bit. Rise of the Valkyrie probably has sold sets to more people than any other Heroscape. In the original ROTV set, there were 6 unique squads of figures - Airborn Elite, Izumi Samurai, Tarn Viking Warriors, Marro Warriors, Krav Maga Agents ans Zettian Guards. I realize that at first glance the Airborn, Krav and Zettians do not look like a fit for Magic AotP.

The current AotP figures are color-coded to their Planeswalker. It's a bit of a stretch, but there are some possibilities to use these ROTV squads by color.
- The Airborn are painted Green, and by dropping the crouching one there would be a squad of 3 figures for Nissa, similar to her current Elf Archers. The powers would need to change, but perhaps when they are summoned, they are placed adjacent to an already summoned green figure.
- The Izumi are painted red and white, but with a Counterstrike ability would seem to be a fit with Gideon.
- The Krav figures wear black suits and I'm sure there is a power that could be given to them that would fit with Lilliana's theme.
- The Marro Warriors paint could be considered pink but could be a 3 figure red squad assigned to Chandra. A clone power might go along with double attack.
- The Tarn Vikings are have many colors, but most have some significat Silver. It's not blue, but ties them together. Use 3 of the Tarn as a squad.
- Zettians, with only two figures, might best be left out at this time (the story of their existence).

My though is that by reusing the figures and creating new/different squads from their Heroscape origins, we Heroscapers could 'embrace' the game that is AotP and encourage WotC to continue to promote and expand the game. The squad names could be changed to more appropriate sounding Magic groups.

In costing the 'new' squads, it might be appropriate to set them such that they are an option to one of the existing squads of the matching color. If the Airborn were costed at 80 (for example) the green player could choose Elf Rangers & Pummelroot Elementals, or Elf Rangers and the Airborn, or Pummelroot Elementals and the Airborn. The Marro Warriors at a cost of 100 would give an alternative to the Firecats.

What do you think?
Old July 13th, 2015, 01:48 PM

GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker GeneralRolando knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targanth View Post

There are many Heroscapers that want to quickly import the AotP figures into Heroscape as customs. There are also many Heroscapers (and others) expressing fear that WotC may not provide follow-on support (more waves) for the new game. More waves of AotP means additional easily obtainable minis for customs for Heroscape. I fall into both of these categories.

Is there a way that we 'scapers can support both of these goals? If we were able to create 'custom' squads for AotP from existing Heroscape minis, it would show a commitment to the new game. With so many Heroscape units to choose from, what would we choose?
Personally, I think the best route is to do as you say. Make Heroscape figures into custom conversions for AotP. This is not because I want to stop playing heroscape, but rather that we should support the game that is going to have the most new player base. As a community, if we start playing the new version of heroscape with as much verosity that we have played Classic scape, we will no doubt intrigue the minds of Magic players who got into the game simply because of the Magic license. When we show the AotP new community that there is a large plethora of figures to be used, and back it up with a strong set of balanced conversions, then we will no doubt have a unique new game to play and a larger community to play with.

Its probably being selfish to try and use AotP as a "gateway" into Heroscape because it's a discontinued game. I don't want Players to think that Heroscapers are a bunch of hipsters spouting the "We had this game first" shinanigans. I will be embracing the new game of Heroscape even if it doesn't quite hold the torch that Heroscape used to have.
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:08 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

It looks like we could use at least two different threads in the new subforum. One to port Magic Arena into Scape (which I'll be doing), and one vice versa! Why not?
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:29 PM

I just wish there was a fansite like this one for the new game. Obviously there is still time, lol. But the game WILL need either big support from the manufacturers (unlikely), or a fanbase that creates interest. Just like what Heroscape HQ and then this website did for Heroscape. It's the fans that will spread this game I think.
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:33 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I was just thinking that in my past experience with Magic, all the summoned creatures were more in line with a fantasy origin. I don't recall any modern or sci-fi units but it has been a while since I've played so I may be forgetting something or maybe they have included these types of card in the newer expansions. Perhaps then the best way to try import classic HS units into the new Arena game would be to only allow fantasy and medieval historical units (knights, samurais, gladiators, vikings, etc.) to cross over. Losing out on the KMA and Q10 would be unfortunate but the game play experience might be better for it. Of the 16 A+ & A ranked classic HS units, 9 of them are outside of the fantasy realm. Perhaps removing non-fantasy units from the equation when combined with the new summoning rules and magical enchantment spells will revitalize the value of many of our underused classic HS units. It would be kind of nice to have the Wolves of Badru and McDirk Warriors get a game system where they can be a solid option.
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:37 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
It looks like we could use at least two different threads in the new subforum. One to port Magic Arena into Scape (which I'll be doing), and one vice versa! Why not?
That makes sense to me. Some people will want to enhance the new Arena game with old HS units, some will want to enhance HS with the new Arena units, and others will want to do both for two different but similar gaming experiences.
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:41 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

.....and some people might want to just play the game as it is.

I'm starting to think Arena should have an entire sub forum, like Marvel, for custom and official topics.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:43 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Yodaking,

I don't know MTG at all, but when a bgg poster was sorry that the new game wouldn't have "vikings vs robots" as Scape does, another immediately posted MTG cards which had...robots and vikings!

Personally, I don't feel any need to reinvent the wheel for units we already have in Scape; I'll just use what we have.
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:45 PM

"Howard Johnson is right!"
--Blazing Saddles

"R˙chean is right--but that's nothing new!"
--Chas

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion