Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old November 17th, 2007, 03:24 AM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners (Updated 10/30)

Recently, our playgroup has recruited quite a few new players. We sometimes end up with 2 experienced players with 4-5 beginners. And of course they don't usually show up at the same time for us to go over the rule for all of them.
So I have created a brief card and put in it the most important things to play the game. It's size is half of the standard letter size. I searched and realized that someone have had the same idea, but I believe the size is the letter size. The half size may be handy and economic, especially when you want to introduce the game to a large group of people (which will happen to us on next Wednesday). After a short explanation, they can just grab one brief card and start the game. Of course, there are more subtle rules, but they can ask experienced players when those cases arise. I also include a dice chart showing the chance to inflict a wound. Again, for new player, it may be useful.
Please let me know if I missed something important, or if the information is not accurate, or anything that should be changed. Your criticism is welcome here! I will create a PDF file that you can print front and back, then cut in halves to have 2 brief cards after hearing from your comments. Thanks again for your help!

Link to the high resolution, 2-sided PDF file

Front:

Back:

Here are some other versions of the card with different backgrounds.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.

Last edited by LongHeroscaper; October 30th, 2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old November 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM

HeroscapeLunatic has disabled reputation
Re: Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper
Recently, our playgroup has recruited quite a few new players. We sometimes end up with 2 experienced players with 4-5 beginners. And of course they don't usually show up at the same time for us to go over the rule for all of them.
So I have created a brief card and put in it the most important things to play the game. It's size is half of the standard letter size. I searched and realized that someone have had the same idea, but I believe the size is the letter size. The half size may be handy and economic, especially when you want to introduce the game to a large group of people (which will happen to us on next Wednesday). After a short explanation, they can just grab one brief card and start the game. Of course, there are more subtle rules, but they can ask experienced players when those cases arise. I also include a dice chart showing the chance to inflict a wound. Again, for new player, it may be useful.
Please let me know if I missed something important, or if the information is not accurate, or anything that should be changed. Your criticism is welcome here! I will create a PDF file that you can print front and back, then cut in halves to have 2 brief cards after hearing from your comments. Thanks again for your help!

Front:

Back:

Not sure if you were referring to my Book of Heroscape with its different guides, rulesets, and battle dossiers, but mine's designed more as a "Strategy Guide" for new and existing players. Mine isn't necessarily designed as a travel companion, as much as a "Bible" if you will. However, I could see one person per GameDay keeping one of them handy in case somebody needed some info.

I applaud your Brief Card because it helps newbies keep certain pertinent info handy on their person. As customizers of the game, the amount of quick-reference material is steadily growing and hopefully we can train a new breed a HeroScapers to play against.

Keep up the good work!
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
I love your percentage table for combat results. I usually do this stuff iny my head (ouch!) when writing strategy guides; I will be referring to this a a shorthand in the future.

Thanks!

Old November 17th, 2007, 11:56 AM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
That's sweet, for beginners! I may be using your percentage chart a lot anyway!

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Brief Card:

Old November 17th, 2007, 11:15 PM

HeroscapeLunatic has disabled reputation
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:28 AM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz
Brief Card:

Just plain awesome.
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz
Brief Card:

Are you kidding me????

OK, what is the name that I should use now? Or should I print my Heroscape brief card on "brief cards" and sell them to the addicted Heroscapers around here? Then we could have something like:
-I am not sure what the chance to kill your Monk with my Krav Maga....
-Oh, do you want to look at my butt? Wait, let me strip my pant down first!
-I can't see it. It's in the crack!

VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness
LongHeroscaper, The is really great! I'm printing off copies right now!

PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2013 "BEAT BY XANTH" CLUB
and Minas Tirith Campaign from Lord of the Rings today.
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteparkerh
LongHeroscaper, The is really great! I'm printing off copies right now!
Thanks ! But please remember it is front and back, and one A4 size paper can print 2 copies. But of course, you can print the way you're pleased !

VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Mayor of Scape City

peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness peteparkerh wears ripped pants of awesomeness
LongHeroscaper,

Found a glitch. The super height advantage is 10+the height of the defending figure.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2013 "BEAT BY XANTH" CLUB
and Minas Tirith Campaign from Lord of the Rings today.
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteparkerh
LongHeroscaper,

Found a glitch. The super height advantage is 10+the height of the defending figure.
Thanks! I did remember that, but was not sure how to put it in short. There is also a little bit confusion between the 2 heights: terrain's height and figure's height. In fact, someone here had played height advantage by comparing the height of the figures (so Jotun almost always has height advantage against Deathreavers). I am still not sure how to make it not confusing to new players.
Should it be "10 levels + defending figure's height different" ?

VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion