Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:17 PM
Admin & Site Supporter

mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby! mrbistro rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie
Colossal Arena is a great game. The best way to play CA is in a series of games and keeping a running total of the points won in each game. The winner is the first person to a set total (20 or 30 points...they give a recommended total in the Variants part of the rulebook.) The game used to be called Titan Arena and the creatures were originally based off of the creatures used in the old AH Titan game. Great stuff!

Newb.
I dunno guys. I picked that one up back when it came out as TA, and was horribly dissapointed to find it was just a betting game. Maybe I would like it better now that I know, but back when I bought it I thought it was a game of gladiator-like fighting with monsters.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:48 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
OK, WAY out of the closet here, but I'm actually a huge Eurogame fan. I make an annual pilgrimmage to Essen each October (if you don't know about Essen, you're not a REAL Eurogames freak!), where I picked up my first Master Set at a ridiculous 70Euros (about $70 - ouch). Martin Wallace (head of Warfrog Games, designer of Railroad Tycoon and the rules for the recent Conquest of Empires game) owes me a ticket in to the show this year, but I bet he forgets. In previous years he's forgotten his passport, and his underpants, so remembering my ticket is somewhat in doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie
We just learned to play Knizia's Samurai and it is an awesome game. It scales well from 2 to 4 players and the basics of the game only take about 5 to 10 minutes to learn. We played it 3 times in the same evening and it really had a good reception. Nice looking map and playing pieces also help the game.
Note that the PC/online version I've seen actually gets the rules wrong. There are few things more likely to get Reiner Knizia frothing at the mouth than people borrowing his game ideas THEN getting the rules wrong. I think he rather likes the implied flattery that a copy suggests, but if someone can't be bothered to copy the rules correctly, they're not flattering you very much! (We usually manage dinner with Reiner once a year - he's a genuinely nice chap, very funny too once you've worked out his understated Germano-British sense of humour). Samurai's one of my favourite games of his; other top picks are Medici and Euphrat & Tigris. It'll be interesting to see what he did with Blue Moon City in the end - I'd have to confess to hating what I saw during the early playtesting, but the games can evolve quite markedly from what is first seen to what gets released. As for his Titan: the Arena, the Avalon Hill rules writers did Reiner no favours; though I'm not a fan either. Has chuff-all to do with the original Titan board game, apart from borrowing the creature types and sharing the same publisher.

I'll stop dropping names now
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:39 PM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker
Growing up, it was Heroquest. All day. I canít get enough of that game, even today itís still my favorite. Iíve never seen a game concept like it. Completely captivating and with plenty of expansions available. If you havenít checked it out, you HAVE to.

Other favorites through the years:

Battle Masters (yes, by makers of HQ)
LOTR Warhammer
Axis & Allies
Risk
LOTR (Fantasy Flight)
BattleBall

Gimme a board with figures on it and Iím set.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:07 AM

dickflea Woo who?
Oh right!!! i forgot Heroquest and all the expansions.....that was an awesome game.

Battlemasters was not so hot though.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:24 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Does anyone know the rules to a game called Kings and Things by Avalon Hill? It is long since out of print. My friend picked up the remnants of the board game but no instructions. Just curious if anyone has heard of it or knows how to play.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:38 AM

bighamrules has disabled reputation
what the closer game you guys find to heroscape

i'm bigham and im back in the game
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickflea
Oh right!!! i forgot Heroquest and all the expansions.....that was an awesome game.

Battlemasters was not so hot though.
Heroquest had 4 expansions that could be found in the US and an additional 2 more than were only available overseas. 2 of the 4 US expansions had a low print run and you can find them on eBay for about $300 each. The overseas ones are about $100 or so. Insane, eh? Still selling well to this day.

Battle Masters was a good game as long as you added some to the basic rules. The immensity of the game was the thing that drew me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighamrules
what the closer game you guys find to heroscape
I noticed in researching Heroscape that one of the main consultants for the game was Stephen Baker, who did the above mentioned two games. You'll notice several similiarities from Heroquest and Battle Masters in Heroscape:

- The attack and defend dice
- The combat system
- The hexes (Battle Masters)

Oooh, what about a dungeon add-on for Heroscape?
Old May 23rd, 2006, 11:41 AM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker
Battlemasters has to be in the "cool" game category for the simple fact that you get an immense number of figures with the game.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:53 PM

spengali has disabled reputation
You can try www.boardgamegeek.com to find the rules to Kings and Things. The rules may be already uploaded or a link may be found. If not, just post a request for the rules.
I needed a Nerak army card and a fellow member of BGG sent me one, free of charge. I gave him all the geekgold, I had at the time. Great community!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM

spengali has disabled reputation
BGG File: Kings&Things English Rules.PDF
www.boardgamegeek.com/fileinfo.php?fileid=7909
Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:45 PM

Keebler has disabled reputation
Somehow I missed Battlemasters completly. Milton Bradley was putting out some cool games in the late 80's & early 90's. Did the gameplay in Battlemasters just suck? For that time the figures were really cool.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:04 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Battlemasters was a great game and the play mat was huge! It was a card based game where each card represented an Orc or Human unit or a special card like Cannon or the Ogre. The deck was shuffled and as each card was drawn the unit on the card could move and attack. Attack and Defense is almost exactly like HS, iirc. It's a great beer and pretzels game and when TRU was dumping them for 5.99 each, I got two cheap Warhammer Fantasy Battle armies.

Newb.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games