Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old March 29th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death!
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I don't really see the "need" of another troll, but I love me some terrain dependent figures. I don't see anything technically wrong, and he looks fun on swamp.

Yeah to review.

Having him not get a bonus on figures above on an overhanging Road, seems like a missed opportunity, though.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old March 29th, 2018, 03:55 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Talk me through the Valhalla trolls. I can tell he has a different look than the D&D trolls, and from the Feylund trolls. I know that trolls from Valhalla are mentioned in the lore. It just seems odd to me that he has the signature power of the D&D trolls (Regenerate) even though he's not one.
I guess I never really separated the two, lumping all trolls into one category ...but I guess you’re right that there is a distinct difference. The thematic, “lore” aspect of this design was more centered on the swamp creature mentioned in the compendium. I thought the miniature fit well and decided troll was the best race (since there’s really no other race he’d fit into)

EDIT: I guess you could make an argument for Ogre
Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm not certain I'm a fan of Valhallan trolls regenerating when that's the key hook of D&D trolls and we know Feylundian trolls don't. I'd personally suggest going in a different direction here and really doubling down on the lurking monster angle you find in folklore (i.e. the sort you'd find under bridges), or making them more akin to trolls in
Norse mythology Norse mythology
(particularly since they would inhabit a place bloody well called Valhalla). Since trolls are already different from world to world in Heroscape lore, and there's quite a bit of variation in how creatures called trolls are portrayed anyway (mythological/folklore trolls, D&D trolls and Tolkien trolls (the ones that I personally think of when I think 'troll' - I pretty much grew up with the Lord of the Rings films...) are effectively three completely different things), I think keeping trolls from each world they inhabit distinct would be more interesting and feel less out of place than Valhallan trolls being 'D&D trolls, but not'. That way, you'd have a nice bit of distinction, variation, and allow the game to take from and expand different thematic areas - Valhallan trolls can have their own (possibly mythological/folkloresque) feel, D&D trolls can be what everyone expects from D&D trolls, and Feylundian ones like Krug can hold the mantle for the Tolkienesque 'Hulk Smash' brand of troll.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old March 29th, 2018, 04:07 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm not certain I'm a fan of Valhallan trolls regenerating when that's the key hook of D&D trolls and we know Feylundian trolls don't.
We do? You mean Krug?

Quote:
I'd personally suggest going in a different direction here and really doubling down on the lurking monster angle you find in folklore (i.e. the sort you'd find under bridges), or making them more akin to trolls in Norse mythology (particularly since they would inhabit a place bloody well called Valhalla). Since trolls are already different from world to world in Heroscape lore, and there's quite a bit of variation in how creatures called trolls are portrayed anyway (mythological/folklore trolls, D&D trolls and Tolkien trolls (the ones that I personally think of when I think 'troll' - I pretty much grew up with the Lord of the Rings films...) are effectively three completely different things), I think keeping trolls from each world they inhabit distinct would be more interesting and feel less out of place than Valhallan trolls being 'D&D trolls, but not'. That way, you'd have a nice bit of distinction, variation, and allow the game to take from and expand different thematic areas - Valhallan trolls can have their own (possibly mythological/folkloresque) feel, D&D trolls can be what everyone expects from D&D trolls, and Feylundian ones like Krug can hold the mantle for the Tolkienesque 'Hulk Smash' brand of troll.
Thanks for your input Lazy Orang, I think you have a good point here. If this troll is really supposed to be from Valhalla, I would like to see it have some more distinct characteristics in some way.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old March 29th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I'll be honest, I'm not certain I'm a fan of Valhallan trolls regenerating when that's the key hook of D&D trolls and we know Feylundian trolls don't.
We do? You mean Krug?
Yes, I'm referring to Krug. He's listed as a troll, comes from Feylund, and has no regeneration based power. Not sure why you're being quizzical here (unless we're to assume Krug has some sort of rare blood condition which makes him unlike all other trolls everywhere in being unable to regenerate, which certainly wasn't mentioned in his bio and would be a weird thing to assume).

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; August 17th, 2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (only under 10 points though)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Been mulling this one over. I'm in the camp of thinking Rujin looks strong. I've play tested him a couple times and while he's fallen short I've also seen him put the smack down on figures. Maybe ironically, I think he'll probably work better without Durgeth Ravagers in favor of constant regeneration. Even if it means giving up height I'll take a 2 wound regeneration all day in most circumstances. But opinions on his power level seem to be all over and I’m willing to test for that.

I do think the point of making a Valhalla Troll more unique is a good one, but also feel like the design of a regenerating swamp monster fits the bill nicely for what Sir H is going for. It’s definitely scary to fight.

to review.
Old March 31st, 2018, 02:21 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

The idea that the swamp monster mentioned in the lore is just a troll, and the idea that we are going to adopt D&D trolls as Valhalla trolls rather than make them their own thing just seems too off to me.

to review Rujin.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Quote:
We do? You mean Krug?
Yes, I'm referring to Krug. He's listed as a troll, comes from Feylund, and has no regeneration based power. Not sure why you're being quizzical here (unless we're do assume Krug has some sort of rare blood condition which makes him unlike all other trolls everywhere in being unable to regenerate, which certainly wasn't mentioned in his bio and would be a weird thing to assume).
Sorry, my train of thought caught up with you before I finished posting, but I neglected to edit out my skepticism.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 2nd, 2018, 08:51 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm fine to test the design. I haven't played around with the Durgeths yet but I have my doubts about how a regenerating hero will work with them (since you want consistent triggereing to keep up their health).

However, I really don't like this as being a troll from Valhalla. There are a variety of trolls from D&D worlds, including swamp trolls, so it strikes me as a wasted opportunity to define Valhallan trolls just to link this hero with the Ravagers a little bit more. You can just have cross-world synergy with a D&D troll.

For that narrow reason, I vote NAY to review.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 11:06 AM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

from me for the swamp troll. Not keen on wasting design space by having Valhalla trolls being the same as DnD trolls.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old April 2nd, 2018, 11:10 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death!

Am I missing something here? I mean I appreciate all the judges voting...but Rujin did already receive a majority vote to be reviewed.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 11:20 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The criticism that's emerged about Valhalla trolls is an interesting one. I'd rather this not get foisted off on the C3V until the SoV judges have completed their process, Sir H. I would not be surprised if one of the early voters is reconsidering, based on an (easily addressed) inconsistency with the canon. I know my own thought, which is that this is an excellent troll - as I posted before - but the "Valhalla" piece is troubling me as well.

edit: Did you explain somewhere why Valhalla? I apologize if I missed it. Even if this does get through the SoV, I am sure others will want to know.

edit 2: Nevermind, I found it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Rujin hails directly from Heroscape Lore. His home is in the Durgeth Swamps; a native to the area, and we read from the compendium regarding the Duregeth Swamps that "a powerful divining rod was thrown into the waters of the swamp to keep it from falling into the wrong hands and is guarded by a large swamp monster." (emphasis added)

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old April 2nd, 2018, 11:28 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death! Sir Heroscape is hot lava death!

I mean, I’m a little confused by all the push back. If it’s only canon inconsistency that is the issue here then I’ll just not give him a BIO and instead of claiming him as a figure from Heroscape canon from the Durgeth Swamps, I’ll claim him as a good ‘ol DnD troll who just happens to bond with Ravagers. Problem solved. Because other than that, there has been no other reason to not review him.
Old April 2nd, 2018, 11:50 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I'd have less of a reservation about this unit if it was a D&D Troll. Not enough to vote against it at this point, but it would start my review with a strike against it.

If you're not opposed to changing it, I think he'd have an easier time making it through.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs