Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 28th, 2023, 02:07 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

Resubmitting Yngvild Pass.

Requires: 1 RotV and 1 TT
.PDF Download

Each pothole next to the glacier level 3 snow has been removed.
Added a level 1 ice space to each side of the glyph level 3 snow.

The new version was used at HexiCon and NE Ohio Basement Brawl (link to .org). It was also used online for CCL Qualifer #2

Last edited by Sheep; October 28th, 2023 at 09:51 PM.
Old October 31st, 2023, 10:21 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post

.PDF Download

The new version was used at HexiCon and NE Ohio Basement Brawl (link to .org). It was also used online for CCL Qualifer #2
Same as Superfrog, I'l give Yngwild Pass an upvote as I was about to upvote the first version and the second version seems even better.

I've played the first version bunch of times and the experience was always excellent.
While looking simple it's a map that brings a lot to the table with the big glacier and the ruin effectively cutting center of the map horizontally in 4 different zones. And all 4 different zone having super interesting micro-positioning choices.
It is a map that really shines with thoughtful glyphs selection from the tournament organizer but which also works fine without that.

The center in between the 2 part of the startzone is also a point of interest, but not too strong as it can't cover the glyphs zones, so figures in the glyphs zones have free reign over the startzone while the figures on height in between the startzones have nothing to attack. While I feel some level 3 near startones is often a problem but it isn't for me on this map, I actually even see this level 3 helping melee fight range in some situations.

While having no "melee helpers" sets on it, I feel melee is completely fine on this map, the map feels very nice is to navigate through, making attacking plays on the different zones very possible, or just simply forbidding range to settle there by being there first.
Incent to go forward is very high and the action usually start extremly fast, and almost everywhere at once.

The map is beautiful, very cohesive TT+RotV landscape.

While not looking complicated, Yngwild Pass checks all the criterias of a great tournament map and should be part of the Wargrounds of Scape. YES to induct.

Old February 26th, 2024, 07:10 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post

.PDF Download

I have enjoyed all of my games on Yngvild Pass, which I can't always say. The map is long and pretty large and I worried about melee units from the outset. Fortunately, there is enough cover to help them stay alive. Also, the widespread height (without any true perches) allows melee to often work their way into engagement on even ground before taking too many hits. (They can even just pay an extra move to step up to high ground, since it is so available, and still be able to engage on the next turn). Ranged units can run and shoot a bit using the same strategy, but there is enough cover and the map just isn't big enough to run for long. I was pleasantly surprised to see melee do well.

I wasn't a fan of the glyphs being so close to the edges of the start zones. An easy flight over. If you can develop some screening units a bit, you can then drop a flying unit on to a glyph (or take a risk and send it early). It isn't a deal breaker, but I would rather see the water spaces in the start zones used in order to cut back on the number of spaces within flight range of the glyph--or the height just behind it. (If Zelrig was a unit seeing a lot of play, that would be really dangerous.)

Much less significant, but still annoying, was the placement of the walls near other terrain pieces, making it hard for dragons or large/huge figures to position near them. Fortunately, they are not usually spaces you want your dragons and minor issues for dragons and other large units isn't so bad. (Most of them kind of deserve some issues.)

I'm not going to say this is my favorite map (those usually have roads or jungle bushes, let's be honest), but I was impressed with how well it played and how much of the map mattered (especially is you played with glyphs that were balanced with each other). If one glyph is strong, the game tips to that side and isn't as good, but doesn't break.

The start zones and initial development bother me a bit (one with more cover, one closer to height, one with water in the way, each with a different ruin, etc.), but I didn't find them to be game breaking. Just not to my preference. And, to be clear, I do appreciate maps that are not just perfectly symmetrical and allow for some interesting choices and possibilities (without being truly unbalanced). I would though still love to see a version with the start zones moved back into the back water spaces.

Overall, this is a map that I feels does some valuable things without necessarily being a favorite. While I think it could still be tweaked to be better (or maybe just different), I also don't feel like the map has to be fixed necessarily. I was impressed with this map and surprised with how well it played despite things that I initially disliked, and I am now comfortable voting YES to induct.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios