Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 18th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Need some help

I'm trying to come up with a 500pt army to play at an upcoming event. Or, rather I've built a few and am trying to decide which to play. So, I thought I'd post two of my ideas here and see what yall thought. Due to some of the restrictions of the event, I'm limited to what I can feild, so I'd appreciate feedback that does not include suggestions on changing the makeup of the armies. Just your thoughts on the armies themselves.
Thanks

Army 1
Raelin -ROTV
Runa
Kelda
Minions of utgar
Sentinels of jandar

Army 2
Carr
Deadeye Dan
Isumi
Krav agents
Nakita agents
Microcorp agent

Thanks again
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Taking Suggestions...

Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Need some help

Neither of those armies are very good. They both have way too many OMs. Apart from that, Runa? I will guarantee you Runa is never going to win a tournament. I get that you don't really want to change the armies around, but if you want to be competitive at all, you're going to have to.

Ty the Awasome is the S.A.S. Commando, Maj. Thompson
...in the LIBRARY...
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Forgive me. I don't get the OM reference. Whats that?
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM

donaldb Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
he is talking about the amount of cards in your armies. Most people don't like having a lot of cards because it makes the correct use of order markers (OMs) confusing. If I had to go with one of these armies, I would choose the agents one. The other just doesn't seem to work well. And Ty, Killercactus won a tournament not too long ago with runa in his army.

Do you have the NERV?
Frisbee. Heroscape. Airsoft. Life is simple.
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

Oh got it thanks. Well I find it hard to come up with a 500pt list and not have a lot of cards. The agents list has 6 while the other is 5. As an aside, I playtested these armies against each other, Runa used her helm to destroy Carr. Rare, I know but it was one of those HOLY CRAP moments.
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Army #2 is much, much stronger. Even with the high defenses, Army #1 suffers from an inability to take the inevitable attrition from the ranged units it just isn't fast enough to knock into melee range. Oddly, with the Nakitas engagement strike, Army #1 would have a hard time even approaching Army #2. KMA, NA and MCA are all tough to get rid of and have solid ranged strikes. Carr and the Izumi are wonderful skirmishers in front of them. DED can earn his keep if your opponent is running with something like Sentinals or Minions.

~Aldin, decidedly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would say that both armies are weak, but that Army 2 is much less weak.

Also, here is something I wrote a while back on the subject of having too many order markers.
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Personally, I like army #2. And I may be in the minority here, but I don't necessarily think 5 or 6 cards are too many for proper order marker placement. As long as you've playtested your army, and know how to move it and work it to it's most effectiveness, then go with it. Some people build hodgepodge armies and are quite successful with them.

Like I said, as long as you know how to work the synergy, or lack thereof, as the case may be, of your army with the proper OM placement, you should do fine.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Taking Suggestions...

Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldb View Post
Quote:
he is talking about the amount of cards in your armies. Most people don't like having a lot of cards because it makes the correct use of order markers (OMs) confusing. If I had to go with one of these armies, I would choose the agents one. The other just doesn't seem to work well. And Ty, Killercactus won a tournament not too long ago with runa in his army.
Yes, but I meant that Runa will never be the figure that actually wins the tournament for you.

Ty the Awasome is the S.A.S. Commando, Maj. Thompson
...in the LIBRARY...
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty the Awasome View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, but I meant that Runa will never be the figure that actually wins the tournament for you.
I agree with Ty the Awasome. killercactus even said in his battle report that he never really used Runa, and never had Runa destroy an opponent's unit when he won with the army.
Old May 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM

donaldb Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty the Awasome View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Sadly, this is true. Runa has never lived up to anywhere near her potential for me, except for when I am getting extremely lucky.

Do you have the NERV?
Frisbee. Heroscape. Airsoft. Life is simple.
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:32 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart

Not taking anything away from KillerCactus here but wasn't there only like 5 people that showed up to the tournament? In his report I think he even said that it didn't count since there was only 5 people.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion