Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old June 7th, 2017, 07:24 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Frostgrave, Halo Ground Command and other tabletop minis

That is just so awesome Hahma. You get so much with that set. I want it.

I am curious. I wonder if the new plastic miniatures for this set have the same quality and detail as the old ones? I can't tell by the pictures.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old June 7th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post

I am curious. I wonder if the new plastic miniatures for this set have the same quality and detail as the old ones? I can't tell by the pictures.
Here's a video from Guerilla Miniatures Youtube series. Ash Barker is the host and has tons of videos of miniatures gaming and other parts of the hobby. I'd highly recommend subscribing, as it's fun to see so many games systems getting played.

In this video, he compares some of the new plastic models to their previous metal versions. The details are still good, but the poses may be less dynamic because of one piece molds instead of multiple piece that allows for more neat poses.

Note: the link I copied wasn't at the start of the video so wind it back to the beginning and you will get to see the comparisons.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 7th, 2017, 01:34 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

Here's a video from Guerilla Miniatures Youtube series. Ash Barker is the host and has tons of videos of miniatures gaming and other parts of the hobby. I'd highly recommend subscribing, as it's fun to see so many games systems getting played.

In this video, he compares some of the new plastic models to their previous metal versions. The details are still good, but the poses may be less dynamic because of one piece molds instead of multiple piece that allows for more neat poses.

Note: the link I copied wasn't at the start of the video so wind it back to the beginning and you will get to see the comparisons.

Thank you! I'll watch it when I get home.

I am already subscribed to his channel. He is the one I watched in the first place to learn Guild Ball. I watch him play Malifaux and other games too. Love his channel.

I didnt know about this video though.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old June 7th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:

I am already subscribed to his channel. He is the one I watched in the first place to learn Guild Ball. I watch him play Malifaux and other games too. Love his channel.

Cool!

I believe I read somewhere that the Masons were one of the teams chosen for this in order to re-scale a couple figures since some of the models have been getting bugger. Really just Flint and Mallets are bigger than before for them. For the Brewers, thay are all about the same size, except Stave is slightly smaller and he doesn't have the little kegs around his waste.

I'm sure about rule changes from previous seasons, other than they said the Icy Sponge placement for their health points when they come back is higher than before, so it's not as easy to cherry pick characters returning to the field after being knocked out.

I did just yesterday watch Ash run through some Malifaux 2E something starter set where there are several introductory missions that teach a little more each time. It may take a little getting used to the card system, but like anything it would be a matter of time where it would be second nature.

I've also watched some videos of him playing Dark Ages. I may be going to a game store on Sunday to try a demo of that game.

Old June 7th, 2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Cool!

I believe I read somewhere that the Masons were one of the teams chosen for this in order to re-scale a couple figures since some of the models have been getting bugger. Really just Flint and Mallets are bigger than before for them. For the Brewers, thay are all about the same size, except Stave is slightly smaller and he doesn't have the little kegs around his waste.

I'm sure about rule changes from previous seasons, other than they said the Icy Sponge placement for their health points when they come back is higher than before, so it's not as easy to cherry pick characters returning to the field after being knocked out.

I did just yesterday watch Ash run through some Malifaux 2E something starter set where there are several introductory missions that teach a little more each time. It may take a little getting used to the card system, but like anything it would be a matter of time where it would be second nature.

I've also watched some videos of him playing Dark Ages. I may be going to a game store on Sunday to try a demo of that game.
Yep, I watched that same Malifaux video. The card system is one of the things I find really cool about it.

Dark Ages is another game I have watched. Another fun looking game with interesting factions and great looking miniatures.

So so many great looking Miniatures games and so little time and money. I want them all.

Old June 7th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Prickly Cactus

@keglo

I didn't demo Dark Ages at Adepticon back around February, so I wanted to take the opportunity to get to play a game at a game store on Sunday.

While at Adepticon, we noticed how many different units there were for a game we hadn't heard of. We talked to one of the main guys from CMON for awhile and he said that it's been out for a little while, but they hadn't really marketed it well enough. They had a rulebook there, but he said that a new one would be released soon. The 2 player starter set seemed pricey for what comes in it, with only quick start rules.

I'll see how the game is soon enough. But yeah, there are a ton of cool new games out there and not enough time or money to get in on them all, or even close.

Edit: From watching some of Ash's video, Malifaux did look kind of neat with the story/scenario element.

Last edited by Hahma; June 7th, 2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old June 7th, 2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
@keglo

I didn't demo Dark Ages at Adepticon back around February, so I wanted to take the opportunity to get to play a game at a game store on Sunday.

While at Adepticon, we noticed how many different units there were for a game we hadn't heard of. We talked to one of the main guys from CMON for awhile and he said that it's been out for a little while, but they hadn't really marketed it well enough. They had a rulebook there, but he said that a new one would be released soon. The 2 player starter set seemed pricey for what comes in it, with only quick start rules.

I'll see how the game is soon enough. But yeah, there are a ton of cool new games out there and not enough time or money to get in on them all, or even close.

Edit: From watching some of Ash's video, Malifaux did look kind of neat with the story/scenario element.
Yeah I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on Dark Ages after you play it.

As for Malifaux, yeah, I love the story, the models, and the whole atmosphere of the game.

On another note, I thought since you shared pictures of you Guild Ball set that it would be fun for me to share mine. Let's see who has the best GB setup

Hehe. I made all that back when I first learned of GB and wanted to try it out. Like that fancy pitch?

Butchers vs. Fishermen
-
-
-

Old June 7th, 2017, 07:54 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Quote:
@keglo

Yeah I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on Dark Ages after you play it.

As for Malifaux, yeah, I love the story, the models, and the whole atmosphere of the game.

On another note, I thought since you shared pictures of you Guild Ball set that it would be fun for me to share mine. Let's see who has the best GB setup

Hehe. I made all that back when I first learned of GB and wanted to try it out. Like that fancy pitch?

Butchers vs. Fishermen
-
-
-
Nice! That's a good way to try out the game for cheap to see if you like it. It's cool that some companies are doing that. The board seems to be the same proportions as the one in Kickoff. A narrower one next to the bigger one.

Fishermen, from what I've read, are super fast and skilled at scoring, whereas the Butchers seem to be all about the beat down to score points. Is that how it's been for you?

Old June 7th, 2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Nice! That's a good way to try out the game for cheap to see if you like it. It's cool that some companies are doing that. The board seems to be the same proportions as the one in Kickoff. A narrower one next to the bigger one.

Fishermen, from what I've read, are super fast and skilled at scoring, whereas the Butchers seem to be all about the beat down to score points. Is that how it's been for you?
I didn't really play it enough to get a good feel for that, but that does sound about right. I was playing by myself basically trying to learn the rules and to see if I would like it. It's been so long ago I would pretty much have to learn again from scratch, if I ever want to play it again, which I do.

Old June 7th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Prickly Cactus

@keglo

Yeah, I'm on my second game of soloing and keep finding more little things I missed the first time, as well as some real neat nuances of the interactions of characters and how to work as a team.

The Masons have a pair of sisters that work well together and remind me of Heroscape in a way, as Honor is the captain and really good, and she has a trait that let's her sister Harmony activate right after her, whereas you normally only get to activate 1 per turn. Also, if Harmony is within 8 inches of Honor, she gains her sister's Tac and Kick stats, which are a bit better. Harmony also gets better defense when within 4 inches of Brick. Flint is the stud ball handler and has cool abilities for that. Brick has a neat counter charge that can let him charge an opponent that ends it's advance within 6 inches of him, as long as he currently isn't engaged. Mallet has a 3 inch engage range when it's his activation, so he can attack from 3 inches and yet be out of engagement with all other characters that I've seen, as 2 inches is the max I've seen. Marbles the monkey has a neat ability called Goad, where he can force an opposing character within 6 inches to only be able to move toward him with an advance.

The Brewers are less skilled and less armored than the Masons, but they have buff abilities that can allow for more damage during normal attacks, or extend the charge move of a team member of they charge an opponent with the Marked Target affect pit on them. Friday is their most skilled player and can do a 2 inch dodge at the start of her turn. She also has great defense of 4 but it goes up by one when she is within 4 inches of Spigot. She also has a ranged character play called Dirty Knives that does damage and a poison condition. Spigot is good at giving buffs, as he can also improve a team members kick stat when within 4 inches of him. Stave is the big guy with a lot of health but is slow and low defense and 0 armor. He can move and push enemies 1 inch away if his base would touch theirs, and he can throw small kegs that have an AOE of 3 inches that push figures 4 inches from center of AOE and knock them down. Hooper is a brawler and likes to hit others while knocked down. Tapper is the captain and has pretty good stats all around and some good buffs. Scum the cat can move 6 inches after Friday activates if within 10 inches, and has an ability called Hamstring that reduces the enemy figures move by 4 inches. Several of the Brewers also have Tough Hide or something like that, which reduces damage by 1.

I still have to figure out better use of the Brewers, but it's a learning curve to get a handle on how to play each team since they all have their own style, and the style of the opposing team is another thing that affects how you approach a game. Seems like a very deep game system, and there are other team members that can be added, as well as some Union Guild members that can give your team even more options.

Old June 8th, 2017, 06:33 AM

For your second solo game, you sure seem to have a lot figured out already. I am a pretty slow learner when it comes to figuring out all of those little nuances, strategies, and synergies. It usually takes me a while with any deep game system before I really get it.

I did watch a good portion of Ashe's video. And while it does seem that there was some loss of detail in the models when they switched from metal to plastic, it wasn't drastic. They still look fantastic as far as I can tell.

So many of these good miniatures games are two players only. It would be much easier for me to justify (with the wife) purchasing them if they where multiplayer. Still, I'm not counting this out. I'm hoping that the two player starter box stays around a while.

Old June 8th, 2017, 12:58 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
For your second solo game, you sure seem to have a lot figured out already. I am a pretty slow learner when it comes to figuring out all of those little nuances, strategies, and synergies. It usually takes me a while with any deep game system before I really get it.

I did watch a good portion of Ashe's video. And while it does seem that there was some loss of detail in the models when they switched from metal to plastic, it wasn't drastic. They still look fantastic as far as I can tell.

So many of these good miniatures games are two players only. It would be much easier for me to justify (with the wife) purchasing them if they where multiplayer. Still, I'm not counting this out. I'm hoping that the two player starter box stays around a while.
I still have more to learn about the nuances and strategies. It's harder to learn and optimize a team's play style when playing both sides at the same time and walking back and forth around the table. But it's getting there.

Yeah, too many 2 player games that are fun. The good thing about Frostgrave is that it can be played with more than 2 people, same with The Walking Dead All Out War miniatures game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures