Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 11th, 2014, 10:34 AM

Bonesaw is surprisingly tart
Looking for thoughts on a 2 vs 1 scenario. "Kill the King."

A little backstory. I play with two other guys, usually on a massive battlefield running 2-3,000 point armies. We each drafted a faction at the beginning of our first season, I have Utgar, my two friends Ullar and Jandar.

Anyway, I was thinking of kicking off the next season with a unique (?) scenario called, "Kill the King," in which two players (and their respective factions) team up to march on a defending castle and kill the third player's designated King. The battlefield would be constructed on a large rectangular table. In the middle, at the back, facing the battlefield- the castle would reside on a high hill, surrounded by snow, bridges and trenches.

The two attacking players would begin at "the front of the battlefield at opposite corners...basically like this.

xxxDxxx
xxxxxxx
AxxxxxA

We would each eventually take a turn as the defender with points awarded according to how many rounds you are able to keep your king alive. Each player would designate a select number and variety of units (established ahead of time) and "replenish" from that reserve as units are destroyed.

Has anybody ever played a game like this? I worry that it would be a route- that the attacking players would easily overwhelm the defender, making for too quick of a game.

Just looking for thoughts here...

Old January 11th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Looking for thoughts on a 2 vs 1 scenario. "Kill the Kin

The person who has the King can always draft an extra 1500 points or perhaps have a small skirmishing party of units in the middle controlled by another set of Order Markers (1000 pts of other generals perhaps).

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old January 11th, 2014, 02:35 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Well with the castle in the mix it will make things a little easier for the defender since he will have height advantage. If there is only one way for non flying figures to get in that will make it even better for the defender. You might find that two on one with even army sizes and the castle will be even. The attackers will have more order markers so there will be somewhat of a horde effect storming the castle but if the defender has a lot of ranged units on the walls then he should be able to take out a lot of attackers. If he is able to get some units out in front of the walls to tie up attackers even better. Then the ranged units up on the walls can snipe away!
Usually when you play a two player storm the castle game then the attacker needs to have 1.5 to 2 times the points in his army to have much of a chance. I think having even points with three players would be a good place to start and see how it goes then adjust the points as needed.
Another thing to look at is the terrain. You are placing the castle on a high hill with snow etc. This is going to make it even harder for the attackers. Ranged units on the walls will have a field day. If you keep the terrain the same then I would add points to the attackers armies. They will take heavy losses getting to the walls so they will need the extra points to make the game competitive. One thing you might add to help the attackers would be some los blockers like trees or walls.

I have played a lot of storm the castle games and they usually fall in favor of the defender. Two on one evens it out some but the terrain will play a big part in the battle. It will be a fun game though, no matter the outcome.
Old January 11th, 2014, 09:25 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well if the castle is big/fortified enough, I've seen players defend up to 3 teams at once. Also, if your king is a unit like Kato Katsuro, you're pretty set, since you can just plop him in the center of the map and your opponents will have to break down the walls before they can get to him, and even then, he can use all his powers from safety so you won't be throwing away the points.

If you want the fortress to be a tad weaker, you could add a third, smaller team of Vakrill/Vydar units to enter the battlefield as reinforcements to the Utgar team after a designated time. That would give the scenario a sense of anxiety as players rushed to kill the king before reinforcements arrive.

Sounds like a cool idea, I'd probably try it myself if I had more castle/road sets to use to create the fort.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion