Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old March 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Heroscapers that are published authors

Quote:
Originally Posted by philowar View Post
Well, don't know if this counts as published, though fed up with waiting months to be taken on by an agent or publisher and after figuring I don't want to wait months more on the very slim chance that something might happen, I decide to make my fantasy novel LORD OF ULIM available on Kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Ulim-Lord...2706949&sr=8-1
Congrats! Good luck with it.
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Well, don't know if this counts as published, though fed up with waiting months to be taken on by an agent or publisher and after figuring I don't want to wait months more on the very slim chance that something might happen, I decide to make my fantasy novel LORD OF ULIM available on Kindle:

I've read part of the preview. Impressive work! I caught a typo ("corpses both friend and foe" instead of "corpses of both friend and foe") but otherwise it looks fine.

I can't say how the rest will turn out, but it has a nice pace to it. I'm looking forward to the depth that the characters will develop after the initial battle scene.

Old March 26th, 2012, 05:56 AM

philowar is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:

I've read part of the preview. Impressive work! I caught a typo ("corpses both friend and foe" instead of "corpses of both friend and foe") but otherwise it looks fine.

I can't say how the rest will turn out, but it has a nice pace to it. I'm looking forward to the depth that the characters will develop after the initial battle scene.
Thanks for the feedback! It's not a typo actually. I was going for a more poetic old school style with a lot of the prose, which may become apparent with subsequent chapters. You're right though. I see how that could read like a typo and have changed it. So, thanks! BTW, I see I sold two copies yesterday. Were you one of them?

Last edited by philowar; March 26th, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossman View Post
Quote:

Congrats! Good luck with it.
Thanks Moss. I was kind of nervous but went ahead and took the plunge. If can sell even a modest number of copies on Amazon and get some generally positive reviews, I'll be happy. I've been at this writing game for over a decade and it's really beaten the crap out of me. I've read some of your blog and I'd have to agree: bookstores and print media seem to be dying off, and the traditional route of landing a deal with a brick and mortal publisher has become less viable for new or small-time authors looking to get in the game. Every agent or publisher seems to be looking for either the next book from Mr. Big Name Writer or the next Big Thing from an unknown. I'm guessing that in ten or twenty years though the publishing landscape will look a lot different, as in a lot of publishers and agents out of business, a lot less books in print, and e-devices for reading--despite being currently seen as a novelty--being the norm.
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mossman is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Are you going to make it available for Nook, either through Smashwords or Pubit?
Old March 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossman View Post
Are you going to make it available for Nook, either through Smashwords or Pubit?
Funny, I just googled Nook. I had no idea there was another Kindle-like e-reader out there. Would you suggest going with Smashwords if I do? Never heard of Pubit. The only options I was even aware of were Amazon and Barnes and Noble (heard B&N is bad for indie books). In terms of Smashwords, I thought they were only for hard copies. I'd definitely like to get on board with whatever e-book options I have.
Old March 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM

Pubit is Barnes and Noble's publishing platform. It's easy to use- very similar to Kindle. It's not nearly as lucrative as Kindle, but I do okay there. Smashwords works well as a "go-between" that will get your ebook on several sites: iBooks, Sony, Kobo, Diesel, even Barnes and Noble if you don't want to fool with Pubit. It's another one that's easy to use and you'll at least make a few sales here and there. I think they're all worthwhile.
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I did actually buy a copy. And awesome Erol Otus avatar, BTW!

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Feels good to sell that first copy. Of course, it will be a real bummer if I can't sell many more. I feel buried in a sea of other books, and how anyone is ever going to come across mine I don't know. Guess that's what real publishers are for--the marketing thing.

Erol Otus? Yes, he's one of my favorites. Old school rules!
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Feels good to sell that first copy. Of course, it will be a real bummer if I can't sell many more. I feel buried in a sea of other books, and how anyone is ever going to come across mine I don't know. Guess that's what real publishers are for--the marketing thing.

Erol Otus? Yes, he's one of my favorites. Old school rules!
Look for bloggers that review fantasy and accept ebooks and see if they'll take a look at your book. You could also purchase a sponsorship on a site like Kindle Nation Daily, but they're expensive. You might want to be active at Kindleboards. They have a very supportive indie author community. The best thing you can do, though, is patiently keep writing and publishing. The more you have out there the better the chance you'll get noticed.
Old August 14th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Wow, I had no idea there were so many authors who play heroscape, and vice-versa. I'm going to have to add some books to my reading list.

I'm also interested reading about the troubles of getting published. Writing a novel is on my bucket list, and though I have plenty of time, its good to hear ebooks are making publishing easier. It makes books easier to get, too.
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

There's a big, big gap between writing a novel and publishing one. Which one is on your bucket list?

Believe it or not, even unpublished novels can be worth writing.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books