Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old April 29th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!
Need help with an MS Excel Script/Formula

I'm working on a form for my job (A monthly mileage statement). We record end of day mileage from the bottom up in column A, and the daily use in column B. 31 lines on the form. So Day 1 is Cell A41. (There are header cells)

What I'd like to do is have Cell B40 and up scan down to the next filled A cell and subtract out the Current day's end from the prior day's end to give the actual use. Essentially B40=A40-A41. However it has to be smart enough to skip a null cell (weekends, days out, etc).

Do I need a script or can this be done in a straight formula in a cell?

Thanks
~Dennys

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:44 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Need help with an MS Excel Script/Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys View Post
I'm working on a form for my job (A monthly mileage statement). We record end of day mileage from the bottom up in column A, and the daily use in column B. 31 lines on the form. So Day 1 is Cell A41. (There are header cells)

What I'd like to do is have Cell B40 and up scan down to the next filled A cell and subtract out the Current day's end from the prior day's end to give the actual use. Essentially B40=A40-A41. However it has to be smart enough to skip a null cell (weekends, days out, etc).

Thanks
~Dennys
You could Conditionally Format it to count Null Cells as 0 can't you?
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys View Post

Thanks
~Dennys
You could Conditionally Format it to count Null Cells as 0 can't you?
Probably, it wouldn't matter. I just need it to recognize the next valid odometer reading for the calculation.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

pm me with your email address and I'll do it for you.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Can you use column C (or any hidden column) to run a mileage tally (=sum(c40+b39))? Then all you need to do is subtract c40 from c39 to get your daily total.

~Aldin, who suspects there is a formula, but usually cheaps out like this

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Or use a second sheet as a 'crib note/calc' sheet...

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:04 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I know there's a COUNTBLANK function that might be helpful. Something along the lines of if the COUNTBLANK function = 1 then don't do the calculation.

-insert signature here-
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I'm my own grandpa

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I have it

B14 =IF(A14=0,0,(A14-LARGE(A15:A23,1)))

Logic: If Mileage input = 0 then Usage =0
Else Mileage = Existing Mielage -Largest (,1) (LARGE function) in
range of prior week's inputs (A15:A23) .

Turn off Zero results (non viewable)

GENERATION 27:
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

That works (unless someone takes a week-long vacation)

~Aldin, formulaicly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I'm my own grandpa

Yeah, I changed the second variable cell

B14 =IF(A14=0,0,(A14-LARGE(A15:$A$23,1)))

Where A23 represents the absolute lowest usable cell, so the search parameter will search from the current line to the entire bottom. Thanks for the catch.

GENERATION 27:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General