Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old June 15th, 2018, 04:05 PM

DjKniteX Woo who?
World Cup 2018

Sucks being in California it starts really early but man we got to watch Spain vs Portugal game and that was crazy.

You guys watching it? Have any favorites? Predictions?

Today (6/15) just finished and I think Group C begins tomorrow?
Old June 15th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: World Cup 2018

Not sure how much I'll watch, but I'll read about it and at least vaguely follow it.

I'm English, but have no great love for the national team. This batch seem a lot better than previous iterations from the little I know though. I'll be rooting for Egypt, Iceland and Australia too. 10 internet points for the first person to spot the connection.
Old June 16th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
... I'll be rooting for Egypt, Iceland and Australia too...
Well, not to plan so far, but happy to see Jedinak score. Come on Iceland!

Edit. Hmmm. Well, still 70-odd minutes to play.

Edit 2. And it's back on. Woooo!

Edit 3. A point!

Last edited by ollie; June 16th, 2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old June 18th, 2018, 12:56 PM

DjKniteX Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
... I'll be rooting for Egypt, Iceland and Australia too...
Well, not to plan so far, but happy to see Jedinak score. Come on Iceland!

Edit. Hmmm. Well, still 70-odd minutes to play.

Edit 2. And it's back on. Woooo!

Edit 3. A point!
Yeah haha that was crazy.

I'm excited for the England match and then Japan. It's going to be relaxing at work.
Old June 18th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Is a Quadradical

COME ON ENGLAND! ROAR! ETC!

Edit. Ha! If you post in all-caps, the site calms you down to little letters.

Edit 2. But putting more text in via an edit means you can keep the all-caps. I HAVE OUTFOXED YOU HEROSCAPERS.COM! THE ENGLISH WILL NOT BE SUBDUED! ETC!
Old June 18th, 2018, 03:29 PM

DjKniteX Woo who?

Quote:
COME ON ENGLAND! ROAR! ETC!

Edit. Ha! If you post in all-caps, the site calms you down to little letters.

Edit 2. But putting more text in via an edit means you can keep the all-caps. I HAVE OUTFOXED YOU HEROSCAPERS.COM! THE ENGLISH WILL NOT BE SUBDUED! ETC!
The game is pretty close! But England is favored to win but I wouldn't be surprised if a tie happens
Old June 18th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Is a Quadradical

Easy. Never in doubt. ROAR!
Old June 18th, 2018, 06:10 PM

DjKniteX Woo who?

Quote:
Easy. Never in doubt. ROAR!
You just had to believeeeee. Who you think will win the whole thing?
Old June 19th, 2018, 10:26 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I'm English, but have no great love for the national team. This batch seem a lot better than previous iterations from the little I know though. I'll be rooting for Egypt, Iceland and Australia too. 10 internet points for the first person to spot the connection.
... Aston Villa?
Old June 20th, 2018, 07:53 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
... Aston Villa?
Yep.

Jedinak's goal at the weekend made him the 4th Villa player to score at the World Cup. He might have been the first to captain his side too. (One or more of the Irish players might have beaten him to that---Townsend, McGrath, Staunton--but I suspect Keane was captaining when he wasn't off in a hissy fit. Maybe Mellberg captained Sweden while he was at Villa?)

Egypt have had two games now without Elmohamady playing. I hope he gets on the pitch next time, but I don't think he's usually a starter for them.

Bjarneson for Iceland looks most likely of the three to be parading around holding the cup at the end. I'm not holding my breath.

Following football for me mostly means following Villa. We're something of a shambles at the moment. After years of just about holding on in the Premier League we were relegated a couple of years ago. Then a new owner and lots of money spent to get us back up. Didn't quite work. It now turns out that we were relying on the Premier League money to repay a bunch of loans, contracted wages, etc. Oops.

I don't mind being in the Championship so much. We actually win games reasonably often, which was a nice contrast to the last few years. This year though it looks like we might have to sell our one potential superstar player, Jack Grealish, to balance the books. He's been a Villa fan since he was a kid and come up through our youth system. But given our current state, we need the ~$30M more, and won't even be able to spend it on replacement players.

So I have very little idea who's likely to do well at the World Cup. At previous ones I've known enough about Premier League players at least to get something of a sense for a lot of the teams. Now I have no idea, other than the fact that the three teams desperate enough to call up Villa players are probably not in great shape.
Old June 20th, 2018, 01:05 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I seemed to remember you mentioning AV at some point (Scaper of the week/month maybe). Good on them for their WC success.

Last edited by dok; June 20th, 2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Woo internet points!
Old June 20th, 2018, 06:03 PM

DjKniteX Woo who?

We had some crazy games lately. I wanna see how the Senegal vs Japan plays out. I want Japan to make it out of the group stage!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General