Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old August 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM

eric.dunfee Woo who?
My take on the wedding cake columns

So I recently got into HS, and lucky for me found this site. I've been checking out a bunch of the other customs, and have seen some completely AWESOME customs on here. I had seen the wedding cake columns, and wondered where they came from until I read through all of Grishnakh's amazing customs. I really like the way he did them, but wanted to apply my own twist to them.

I'm really torn on the whole awesome looking customs mixed with the rather plain looking official terrain. I still go back and forth on flocking my terrain and making customs that just don't seem to fit in with the rest of heroscape. With my columns, I decided to stick with the heroscape colors. I mixed two colors together, to get a pretty darn good match to the castle color. You can see the colors I used in the first pic. The mixture was roughly 3 parts mudstone, to 1 part rain grey.

Having only 1 master set (so far) I really don't want to use up valuable terrain for customs. I wanted the columns to be mixable with the regular terrain, but I didn't want to lose any pieces in the process.

For the most part I did exactly what Grishnakh had done, but for the top, I cut hexes out of 2mm plastruct that would fit snugly inside a heroscape tile, and glued them to the top of the columns. This way, if I want to use them I can, but if I decide not to, I'm not out any terrain. I drilled 7/8" diameter holes through the center of them to all the single castle tiles to be usable as well.

I glued 2 layers to the top of the large columns. This allowed them to sit flush with other adjacent terrain. They have a height of 14.

The shorter columns required just a tad more work. They are already the same height as 8 tiles, so adding the plastruct to the top made them 2mm too tall. What I did to remedy this was run them through my table saw to trim off the top 2mm.

So that's my take on the columns, let me know what you think!
Old August 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM

cycoduck is surprisingly tart
Very nice. I have some extra columns I haven't worked on yet, I just might do the plastruct/drilling bit myself. thanks for the idea.

Old August 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM

zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker zanter knows what's in an order marker
Wow! That nearly looks like real hs parts! Glue a repainted tile to the bottom and it will pas as the next set!

I do art. Check it out.

http://insanelyzanter.deviantart.com/
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:57 AM

eric.dunfee Woo who?
Thanks for the comments!

I should also point out. When you glue the plastruct hexes to the top of the columns, make sure and line the column up visually (or some other way) with the tile itself. The reason being, if you look at the underside of a hex, you'll notice the plastruct hex doesn't sit in there perfectly parallel with the HS hex. Because of the way the HS hexes are designed, the plastruct hex will sit off angle a little bit, so make sure you're lining the column up with the HS tile and not the plastruct hex.
Old August 28th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
When I click on the images to see them larger they never load in the new browser window. Can you post larger pics in this thread? Please and thank you!
Old August 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher
When I click on the images to see them larger they never load in the new browser window. Can you post larger pics in this thread? Please and thank you!
Try right-clicking on them and selecting 'open link in new window' from the pop-up menu before he starts putting 900kb of images directly in the thread. If your connection to the imageshack server is squirrely, the direct image links won't load, either, and you'll still be in the same fix.
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:24 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The links are working now. Wierd . . .
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:21 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher
The links are working now. Wierd . . .
Netburp.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM

GeneralBeaner is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Where would you get those pillars/columns?

I'll write this in the most signified manner possible. Making crude or lame jokes on these are just pointless because of their insignificance.
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:23 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBeaner
Where would you get those pillars/columns?
You can get them at Michael's or AC Moore or any other craft store that has cake decorating supplies. They usually come 4 to a package and come in 2 or 4 sizes depending on where you buy them.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:01 PM

GeneralBeaner is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Thank you very much!

I'll write this in the most signified manner possible. Making crude or lame jokes on these are just pointless because of their insignificance.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles