Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old October 26th, 2013, 02:34 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
HaploScape: Keep the strategy half, drop the luck half!

Inspired by this thread (and the input of sarashinai in particular), I present:
~A WAY TO PLAY HEROSCAPE WITHOUT LUCK BEING INVOLVED AT ALL~

...That's all I've got for an intro, so let's get on to the rules.

1. Combat

Forget everything you know about rolling combat dice. When you attack in this system -- normal or special attacks -- your full attack goes up against the attacker's full defense. Even if the attacker isn't strong enough to inflict any wounds (as will be the case against Deathwalkers), you can still reduce their defense for the rest of the round. I recommend representing defense loss with upside-down wound markers. If defense drops below zero (for example, because a figure loses its defense bonus mid-round), treat it as zero anyway.

--example--
Two Venoc Vipers (3 Attack) vs. One Deathstalker (5 Defense, 1 Life)
Viper 1 attacks with 3 Atk. Deathstalker loses 3 Def.
Viper 2 attacks with 3 Atk. Deathstalker loses its remaining 2 Def, and the remaining point of attack inflicts a wound. Deathstalker is destroyed.

Additionally, because this system heavily favors squads, all Unique (and Uncommon) Heroes gain the following special power:

Heroic Defense: When defending against a normal or special attack from a common or squad figure, reduce the attack's power by 1. Yes, this modifies special attacks. Yes, it can be negated in the same way as any other powers.

2. Die-Rolling Powers

Instead of randomizing results for such chancey powers as Mind Shackle and Frenzy, the results come in a preset order: Start with 10. Each subsequent "roll" adds 7, and subtracts 20 if it goes above that. These numbers are tracked separately for each army card. I recommend leaving a d20 on each such card with the current number face-up.

--example--
A Venoc Viper squad uses Frenzy.
First attempt: 10.
Next: 17. Frenzy activates.
Next: 4 (add 7, subtract 20).
Next: 11.
Next: 18. Frenzy activates.
Next: 5. And so on.

3. Falling, Leaving Engagement, and similar damage.

For each combat die worth of damage you receive from regular or major falling, or leaving engagement attacks, you receive half a wound. Don't ask me how to represent this on squads; I honestly have no clue. Nope, remove that. You alternate between receiving a wound and being safe. Each player has one result for "half wounds" shared by all of their figures, which begins each game at not-wounding.

Extreme falling damage and molten lava damage are always lethal.

4. Initiative

Everyone's initiative roll is the same round-to-round normally. Simply average the printed Move number of all your surviving army cards, then double it. Everything else is the same.

5. Individual Special Power and Official Scenario changes

Spoiler Alert!

I'll be filling in the rest of this huge mess later. There are so many figures, and so many scenarios. C3V and SoV figures will come last.

Any and all feedback is welcome. Besides suggesting that I should stop doing this. That feedback is unwelcome; I have come too far to stop now.

Last edited by Anitar; November 2nd, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:44 PM

sarashinai is surprisingly tart
Re: HaploScape: Keep the strategy half, drop the luck half!

First, I think this idea is awesome and I fully endorse it... Except for the name... AWFUL! :P

Second, I recommend against using d20s to track the value as they could easily roll over to a wrong value. I suggest using a table with a checkmark spot or a clear token to mark the space.

Third, I don't like the notion of half wounds but if you MUST. Then I suggest rounding all halved damage down (minimum 1).

Fourth, I think your method of determining initiative is AMAZING and should be put on a plaque somewhere where people can gaze upon it in wonder. Except it requires division and then multiplication. Why? What was your reason? Why not just add them up?
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Bugger

El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness El T wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have to give this idea a big thumbs down.

The thing that makes the strategy of heroscape so fun and exciting is that you have to incorporate luck into your strategy, and account for luck in planning ahead. Without luck, the game is one-dimensional.

Sorry.
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:49 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarashinai View Post
Second, I recommend against using d20s to track the value as they could easily roll over to a wrong value. I suggest using a table with a checkmark spot or a clear token to mark the space.
The token could work too. Not the checkmarks though; those are too permanent.

Quote:
Third, I don't like the notion of half wounds but if you MUST. Then I suggest rounding all halved damage down (minimum 1).
I'm not so fond of them either. But the rounding wouldn't work so well, given the small number of "half-wounds" that tend to be inflicted at a time.

Quote:
Fourth, I think your method of determining initiative is AMAZING and should be put on a plaque somewhere where people can gaze upon it in wonder. Except it requires division and then multiplication. Why? What was your reason? Why not just add them up?
Because you shouldn't get to go first just for having MORE army cards. A team with 5 cards of 4 move would be slower than one with a single 8-move card, despite totalling 20.
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitar View Post
Quote:
Because you shouldn't get to go first just for having MORE army cards. A team with 5 cards of 4 move would be slower than one with a single 8-move card, despite totalling 20.
And why the doubling?
Old October 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And why the doubling?
Because otherwise, the +8 from the Glyph of Dagmar would be HORRENDOUSLY high. Even doubled, it's still a lot.
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El T View Post
I have to give this idea a big thumbs down.

The thing that makes the strategy of heroscape so fun and exciting is that you have to incorporate luck into your strategy, and account for luck in planning ahead. Without luck, the game is one-dimensional.

Sorry.
Of course, every gamer will have a preference of game style. I'd suggest, though, that it's not really luck that you're talking about but probability.

If luck was required to make a game fun and exciting then no one would play chess. Both Heroscape, dice-less or not, and chess work of principles of probability and prediction. How much information can you integrate into your mental simulation and then how well can you use that simulation to make choices.

A dice-less Heroscape takes unpredictability of any given action out of the picture and replaces it with more long-term predictive planning.
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And why the doubling?
Because otherwise, the +8 from the Glyph of Dagmar would be HORRENDOUSLY high. Even doubled, it's still a lot.
Would you add the glyph bonus after the averaging and doubling?
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:03 PM

Yes.
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

So how does Stealth Dodge work?
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
So how does Stealth Dodge work?
"I'll be filling in this huge mess later."

Same with such unusual powers as Counter Strike, Defensive Agility, Helm of Mitonsoul Aura, and anything that adds automatic skulls/shields.
Old October 27th, 2013, 11:08 AM

How about:

Stealth Dodge
When the Deathwalker 7000 (for example) is attacked by a unit who is not adjacent, as long as Deathwalker 7000's current Defense exceeds the attack by at least 1, the Deathwalker 7000's Defense is not reduced by the attack.

Counter Strike
I think this should work with the straight values. It means that you have to be more strategic with mixing ranged and melee attacks against CS targets; whittle them down first and then close in. I know Anitar's preference is to make it only 1 wound but I think this makes them underpowered.

An alternative, which I think would be neat and extends Anitar's system is to have the response from Counter Strike become Defense reduction on the attacking unit rather than wounds. The reduction would only come off at the end of the defender's next turn.

Defensive Agility
This is just the adjacent equivalent of Stealth Dodge, so it would work the same way.

Helm of Mitonsoul Aura
According to http://heroscape.wikia.com/wiki/Runa, the Helm of Mitonsoul Aura is a d20 power and would use Anitar's d20 result chart.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions