Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old March 28th, 2012, 07:52 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: nyys terrain *INDEX Pg1* Arcane Legions 02/15/10

Thanks Porkins.

I used a couple of different methods of texturing. For the bases and the crumbled statue (the Power Ranger toy) I covered everything with a mixture of white glue, water, and sand. The texture on the walls of the crypt and the crumbled wall was done with a rock. Grabbed a hand-sized, roundish one from outside and pressed it into the foam several times and from many angles. Makes for a very realistic look up close.

The painting started with an undercoat of black, followed by a coat of brown, and the highlights (drybrushing) were done with a tone of tan (I think it is called Teddy Bear Tan).

Even though it costs a bit more, I typically try to use H20 spray paints for my undercoats. Soooo much faster than doing it by hand, and it doesn't melt the foam. But in a pinch, going the brush route works as well. I even, somewhat, developed the ability to highlight with spray paint as well. Makes the whole paiting process (the part I don't like at all) so much better.

These pieces could have been painted with a lot more detail with better layering and some patience, but that's not me. I like to build it, hate to paint it, so the faster the process (as long as the result is decent) the better for me.

-insert signature here-
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:19 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Well, I think the paint jobs look great. Thanks for the detailed response. I need to get me some pink foam.
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:49 PM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I get it at Home Depot. A 4' x 8' sheet is $6-8 I think. There's also blue foam, but my store doesn't carry it. I guess the difference is that it's more dense.

-insert signature here-
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:54 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Do you use one inch thick sheet? I know they sell it in multiple thicknesses. Have you tried thicker? Is it good or bad? I guess it probably depends on what you are making.

I've looked at many Home Depot and Lowes stores, and have only found one store that carries it. I think they have the blue, but can't remember. As I recall, it was quite a bit more expensive than $7, so I didn't buy it. Some new houses are going up nearby. I think I'll try to raid the dumpster for scraps after the insulation goes up.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Scrap raiding is a great way to get the stuff for free. Usually the construction sites will let you have it, they're just throwing it away anyway.

I've used all ranges of thickness, just harder to cut through the thicker (the stuff also dulls razor blades very quickly, so have plenty on hand).

-insert signature here-
Old October 28th, 2022, 09:58 AM

Re: nyys terrain *INDEX Pg1* broken links recovered 10/28/22

Wow, can't believe it but I actually still had all the pics in this thread. Broken links fixed! All these terrain projects are super old at this point, but you can still see everything if interested.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles