Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers
Meet Other Scapers Find other scapers in your area

Old September 13th, 2010, 08:22 AM

Ducer15 is surprisingly tart
Re: UK Scapers (The life and times of RichardD)

Played the Castle Ravenloft board game a couple of times over the weekend. I had a solo game on Friday evening. I lost! Then on Saturday I went to my local game groups session and played a four player game, which we one.

I really like this game so far, although some of the rules, especially in the scenarios are open to interpretation.

Traveling through cyberspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!

Old September 13th, 2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I ordered mine from an online bookseller, who has yet to receive any supplies. Due the last week of September, I've been told.
I got my copy for £42.50 including delivery, from Mythreal who I had never used before. They delivered via UPS within three working days. Happy with the service I got from them.

Old September 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM

timothyous is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Tim from Purfleet in essex! Only just discovered the joy of heroscape! Where does everyone get their figures from?

Any tips for conversions of figures from my 2nd rotv set?

Let me know! Thanks!!!
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyous View Post
Tim from Purfleet in essex! Only just discovered the joy of heroscape! Where does everyone get their figures from?
There are a lot of places you can get figures online. I tend to use IGUK a fair bit, but will go to whoever has stock of the set I need. I have also used Spirit Games, Gameslore and Leisure Games. Look them all up.

Oh, and welcome to the world of Heroscape.

Old September 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation

Quote:
www.spiritgames.co.uk for recent UK releases; www.housemousegames.com for older US-only releases. I'm lucky - I ordered most of my HS from the USA when the £ was worth almost $2, and I had more money than sense. The exchange rate's nowhere near as good now, and I'm earning a heck of a lot less too.

Re: Castle Ravenloft:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducer15 View Post
I got my copy for £42.50 including delivery, from Mythreal who I had never used before.
Ha. Read it and weep. £33. I can live with an extra couple of weeks' wait if it's going to cost me just 2/3rds the price in my local shop.

Off to Essen in Germany next month. Plan is to buy as few new games as I can, but when surrounded by 700 new games and 150,000 gamers, that might be a tough ask.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old September 16th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Any tips for conversions of figures from my 2nd rotv set?
Hoard it jealously, and don't convert. Each side can field the same unique, so there's some merit in having two sets anyway. I bought ten sets. Got to love it when Argos are doing really deep discounts.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

Old September 17th, 2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
Ha. Read it and weep. £33. I can live with an extra couple of weeks' wait if it's going to cost me just 2/3rds the price in my local shop.
I am guessing that is from the book depository. I did not see that offer until after I had my copy.

Looks like they may even be a bit cheaper now. Now sure how they can discount so much more than everybody else?

Quote:
Off to Essen in Germany next month. Plan is to buy as few new games as I can, but when surrounded by 700 new games and 150,000 gamers, that might be a tough ask.
Should be good. I would like to get along to that one year. Try not to spend too much.

Old September 19th, 2010, 06:53 AM

I've slowed down a lot since my first visit over ten years ago. Back then I was buying stupid amounts of games, and it wasn't unusual to go to Essen still having 20 games in shrink-wrap from the Essen before!

This year my aim is to buy 5 games. I won't count expansions (though I'm unlikely to buy any of those), games I get given (working on a stand for some of the time means I'll get a few freebies), or games I buy for my children. Last year I bought 6, and two are still unplayed, so that was still too many.

My problem is that these days, I'd rather sit down and play a game I know is great instead of trying out something new that might not be. So many games are "like" other games I already have, and I don't have the space, the time or the money to justify buying games that feel similar to games I already have. I'm also not remotely interested in buying good games; I have several hundred of those already. I want great games.

Still, I currently have a list of about 25 games to try out at Essen (like there's going to be enough time to do that), and there are always games at the show that hadn't made onto my list that catch my eye once I'm there.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
My problem is that these days, I'd rather sit down and play a game I know is great instead of trying out something new that might not be. So many games are "like" other games I already have, and I don't have the space, the time or the money to justify buying games that feel similar to games I already have. I'm also not remotely interested in buying good games; I have several hundred of those already. I want great games.
I agree with you. I almost certainly have a lot less games than you, but don't really want to play the average ones as much. I maybe buy 3 to 5 games a year, but look for them to do something different to ones I already have, or have some other unique aspect.

Old September 30th, 2010, 07:04 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I finally got round to playing some scape today! Because i've just moved into a house of my very own (and my bed hasn't been delivered yet) I have alot of floor space in my bedroom, so I thought it was about time I tried out some of these new figures.

Normally, I love playing EVERY figure, all out battles, but really didn't want to spend all day on a game, so I decided to just pit Ullar vs Vydar, and it was a great game. Ullar won due to the elven alliance (and probably due to having a higher point cost total), plus Sharwin Wildborn really held her own. Mika Connour was also a heavy hitter (before getting exterminated) and those two new comers are possibly new favourites of mine.

One thing I tried for the first time in a game, was using the treasure glyphs, and I have to say that I absolutely loved them! They add another dimension to the game, meaning figures might decide to accumulate some equipment before charging head-on into battle. It was really interesting to have Major Q9 pick up the +1 Def and gain height advantage.

So tomorrow, i'm planning on having an Einar vs Jandar (& maybe Aquilla) battle. I'm really looking forward to testing out some more of these new D&D figures.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 05:50 AM

Not played scape for a few weeks now, but plan on trying to get it to the table again soon!

Did play Castle Ravenloft last night with some friends. Great fun, although for some reason it went on for almost 3 hours!

Just out of interest did you get your copy Richard?

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:04 AM

Yup. Played it one Weds evening, scenario 2, to learn the system, then spent Saturday a fortnight ago playing it all day. We went through the scenario book, from no.3 to no.9 IIRC (skipping the solo one). All the games took about 1hour to 1h20m, except the "collect 12 treasures" one - where the rules are poorly expressed and as a result the game takes about 2.5 hours to finish (because the author's intent was for you to keep and count any "use immediately" treasures gathered *before* sunset, although it doesn't quite read like this; if you play it as written, you have to go through almost the entire deck of treasure to win).

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers