Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old September 23rd, 2007, 04:02 AM

Elimite has disabled reputation
Unique Tournament Scenarios

I just held a tournament and for the semi-finals and finals I had unique scenarios that turned out very well and I just thought I'd share them with those of you out there to try out. They were very fun and talked about a lot (like the "your wife just got a new haircut and now looks like a model" talked about, not the "your wife just got a new haircut and now looks like Maryland Manson" talked about).

"Skillz"
In this scenario each player has their usual teams for the tournament in opposite corners with an island in the center of the map (obviously surrounded by water for it to be an island) with a pillar on the island.

The story: This field of conflict was once where the Knights Templar were commissioned by God to carry out their holy quest.

The rules: Because of the spiritual energy field here your characters have their abilities slowly drained from them. Each card may only use it's abilities (passive and active), or attempt to, 3 times before their energy must be regenerated by climbing to the top of the pillar on the island, once there they are able to use their skills 3 more times (this event is repeatable). The number of times a card can use abilities is calculated by measurement of turns (ie Kee-Mo-Shi can use 3 abilities in 1 turn, their for after one turn of using all 3 abilities Kee-Mo-Shi can use 2 more turns of abilities before she must recharge them). When on the island (not just the pillar) you may not attack or use abilities(or any other members of the same card whether on the island or not) because they are on holy ground. For instance, if 1 Marro Warrior is on the island,the other 2 may not try to regenerate nor attack. They may only move.

Clarifications: This question arose during the tournament. If a figure with counterstrike (recently recharged) is attacked while on the island by someone off of the island, does counterstrike take effect? No, no abilities work on the island. If the pillar is one hex wide how can, say, Charos get his abilities back? He must move over top of the pillar and then move back off of it onto an empty space he can fit into on the island.

This was very fun. It depolarized the tournament from just about who's team had the best abilities to which player knows how to and when to use his abilities properly.

-------------------------------
"The Fog of War"

This scenario takes some set up. You need a table, 3 identical maps, doubles of all figures being used, a board or something to block the opponent's view, and an unbiased moderator.

The story: The fight has been a long and hard one. Your hatred for the enemy and zeal for blood has blinded you and clouded your thought. You now have a hard time distinguishing friend from foe, your sight is limited.

The set up: On the table place one of the identical maps. On either side of the table place the two other maps. Underneath the table put something in the way to obstruct your opponent's view (I used a very large box). Now you're going to place your figures on the board on the ground. Your opponent will not know where your figures are (keep your cards completely hidden as well, it's always fun to pull a Jotun or Q9 out of no where and send your opponent into shock). All dice are rolled on the table where your opponent can see, but everything else is hidden.

The way this works: Each figure has a range of sight. If an enemy is not in that range of sight you cannot see them nor attack them. Just because you are in your enemies range of sight (and may even be attacking you) does not necessarily mean they are in your range of sight. To figure out a figures range of sight look at their move stat and their range stat. Which ever stat is higher is their range of sight. For instance, Q9 has a move of 5 but a range of 8, therefore he can see anything not obstructed by landscape or another figure within 8 hexes of him. Or, Izumi Samurai have a move of 6 and a range of 1, therefore they can see up to 6 spaces away. The moderator is the one who will see where you move (on your hidden map) and appropriately will reveal any enemies to you (or reveal you to your enemies). The board on the table is where the moderator will reveal your enemies to you. Once you can see them and they are in range you may attack, use abilities, and defend as normal. If an enemy leaves your range of sight they once again disappear off the middle board.

This makes it interesting because you may not know what enemies are coming at you, forcing you to evolve your strategy mid-game. Nor do you know where they are coming from. Also you can't see if the enemy put 3 turns on Jotun or if there aren't any on the Jotun you just saw. It makes the game more fun. Big maps are good.

The only downfall to this scenario is that you need a lot of land (for 3 identical maps), a good amount of room to host this (it doesn't just take a table top), doubles of each player's figs, and someone willing to moderate. I find that 6 Master Sets is the right amount of land (2 MS per map provides enough room to be able to diversify your attack strategy... a pincer attack anybody??).

A lot of set up, but a unique and fun variation from the mundane. Again everyone in the tournament loved this idea too.

The King of Strategy.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I love to see custom maps but this should be in another thread. Way to brag in your Signature though I don't have a lot of money for this stuff I will make Eclipse's Esenwein Manor maps with all the details I love his maps they are absolutely perfect you should try playing some of his maps in a Tournement.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM

miniandmee7 Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan
I love to see custom maps but this should be in another thread. Way to brag in your Signature though I don't have a lot of money for this stuff I will make Eclipse's Esenwein Manor maps with all the details I love his maps they are absolutely perfect you should try playing some of his maps in a Tournement.

If chocolate chip cookies are made out of chocolate chips...what are girl scout cookies made of?

If vegetabale oil is made out of vegetables...what is baby oil made of?
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM

Minnion has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniandmee7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan

I would have to say there is no other thread for this, note that they call this section Maps AND scenarios... more maps than scenarios because most prefer pictures than words... So while this might not be that interesting to some it is in the correct place.

"We are all mad here" ~Cheshire Cat

It is the domain of a geek to seek out meaning in that which seems trivial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doWOd...elated&search=
Old September 24th, 2007, 10:14 PM

Elimite has disabled reputation
I didn't take pics I have the virtualscape files of the maps I used but those aren't really the point. The point is the scenario. It can be used on a wide variety of maps (especially the second thought). If anyone wants I can printscreen the virtualscape 3d views and post jpgs of those... but really what's the point of all that work if a couple of imaginationless people will probably criticize me anyway.

The King of Strategy.
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:45 PM

Glitch has disabled reputation
I like how you took the old fog of war idea and made a well thought-out scenario for it.
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM

jodokast is surprisingly tart
Both of these scenarios are great! I can't wait to try them on my own maps.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!!

Think Safely!
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:48 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
The Fog of War scenario seems especially cool.

Also, in your profile, are you saying that all of that stuff cost you $100?
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
I really like the fog of war idea. I'd maybe double or x1.5 the range or movement, as someone can see farther than they can shoot.

The first thought I had when I saw the title of the thread was an all unique tournament. That would be a different game only using uniques in an army. You'd still be thinking of how to beat Q9, but you wouldn't have to worry about swarming units. Probably not a new idea, but it would be fun to try.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios