Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 12th, 2019, 07:10 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: GenCon 2019 Feedback Thread

I still am holding onto hope that one year we'll see the 4-legged event -- that is, all figures must walk on four legs (figures riding mounts are allowed as long as the mount walks on four legs).
Old August 12th, 2019, 08:12 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Four legs good, Two legs bad

Rats, rats everywhere. Everyone wants all the rats. No one will be upset.

~Dysole, tongue in cheek
Old August 12th, 2019, 08:17 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

You can field Deathstalkers, but only 2/3 of each squad because one of them has a paw in the air
Old August 13th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

HS was made for 1,000 pt games, that is what we need, 500 has to be hero's, hour and 20 minute games, that is what I dream of

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old August 13th, 2019, 09:37 AM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I love 4x400, I hope it stays as an event (only been to two Gencons so far, so I don't know if it's a relatively recent addition or if it's been around for a decade). A great chance to play tons of good units quickly that I otherwise likely wouldn't be able to fit into an event @ Gencon.

Ditto for General Wars - it's a nice way to have a 'main-ish' event (meaning more than 16 spots) for a bring-1 format.

6 round Main Event day 1 is perfect - consistently rewards day 1 performance (all 4-2s made it, almost certainly always will) and removes negative incentives (i.e. bring all A figures to go 3-2 and 50/50 chance at making day 2). Also made round 1 of day 2 more fair & even across the board by removing (most) of those armies from the field.

I do think Main Event day 2 needs a time limit that is reasonably close to the time limit on day 1 rounds (or even the same). The power of some armies (which invest in good/great cleanup figures like MWs [not always cleanup, but can/will be used in cleanup if the matchup is right for it]) changes drastically when you effectively remove the time limit (weaker day 1, stronger day 2), which means some armies gain/lose power in a way that is not necessarily reflective of how they performed in day 1. I love a 2 hour Heroscape game as much as anyone, and would prefer having no time limits at all, but in reality they are necessary and as such should be as consistent as possible.

My understanding is that Gencon controls this more than Heroscape organizers do, but I'd love any additional open play slots if that's possible. I would buy a ticket to all of them and be happy to try and help organize a tournament format during one of those times.

I think (not really enough experience to be sure) that I prefer flex with higher point totals (I think it was 600 last year?), just because it's the only format without a real time limit per round and it's nice to be able to run a higher point army without an increased risk of time being called.

All in all, awesome Gencon and thanks to everyone who helped organize and pull it off!

- CP
Old August 13th, 2019, 09:41 AM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
HS was made for 1,000 pt games, that is what we need, 500 has to be hero's, hour and 20 minute games, that is what I dream of
I don't think you'd need to specify X points must be heroes, I think just restricting the figure limit sufficiently (i.e. to avoid everyone bringing glads/blasts as the other 500 to steamroll heroes) would work.

With something like a 20 figure restriction I don't think you'd run into any issues with too many common squads.

Neat idea, probably would need to happen during an open play slot first. I'd probably participate though if it was.
Old August 13th, 2019, 12:51 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
I do think Main Event day 2 needs a time limit that is reasonably close to the time limit on day 1 rounds (or even the same). The power of some armies (which invest in good/great cleanup figures like MWs [not always cleanup, but can/will be used in cleanup if the matchup is right for it]) changes drastically when you effectively remove the time limit (weaker day 1, stronger day 2), which means some armies gain/lose power in a way that is not necessarily reflective of how they performed in day 1. I love a 2 hour Heroscape game as much as anyone, and would prefer having no time limits at all, but in reality they are necessary and as such should be as consistent as possible.
I'm not really too concerned about the power level variations between day 1 and day 2 because of different time limits. It was really relevant in the old non-alternating RTW days, but not as much any more.

That said, I'd be OK with some time limit on day 2. I really really don't want to see 50 minute rounds on day 2, but something like a 90 minute limit would be fine.
Old August 13th, 2019, 01:02 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
For Comparison

I play my day 2 game against IS very differently in the endgame if there's a time limit in play.

~Dysole, who remembered querying about it after a couple games wrapped up and she and IS were still playing
Old August 13th, 2019, 01:40 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

FWIW I know I've had 10 minutes called on me in the semis or finals at least once (I think it was finals in 2011) but the game finished before it mattered.

In general some of the day 2 games go longer because some players take longer on their moves on day 2. I would hate to see any of the games (particularly the semis or finals) decided by going to time after not too many rounds of play just because one player was being extra deliberate. Especially if the faster player lost in a winnable position. I know that would leave a sour taste in my mouth.

I have always enjoyed the relative freedom from time constraints that we enjoy on day 2 - not because I like to take a long time but because it means I don't have to stress about my opponents taking a long time and the game going to time prematurely. There's a sense of collective enjoyment and camaraderie to the day 2 games that I think would be diminished if there was tight time pressure.

That said, I think it would be reasonable if the longest-running round 1 and round 2 games had gone to time, as the very last ones did go quite long. Does anyone have a good sense of exactly how long the longest games went in those rounds? Going just a bit under that would be a good place to put a time cap if we needed one.
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:25 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like the lack of time limit on Day 2. You can exercise the strategy of hobbling squads to play with less than their figure per squad count, and the opponent can't keep one squaddie behind to preserve their full card points. Partial card scoring is also an option, but no one wants to whip out their calculator.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Does anyone have a good sense of exactly how long the longest games went in those rounds?
I fell asleep a few times in my last game but it was somewhere between 2.25-2.5 hours (which is waaay to long) before it was over.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; August 13th, 2019 at 05:32 PM. Reason: I'm bringing a pillow next year
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Does anyone have a good sense of exactly how long the longest games went in those rounds?
I fell asleep a few times in my last game but it was somewhere between 2.25-2.5 hours (which is waaay to long) before it was over.
Yeah, that can't happen again. People have stuff to *do* on the Saturday of GenCon, and it's not fair to spring on someone an hours-long commitment that will mess with the rest of the day. Unless, of course, the rules allow it, which they did this year.

I'm not you guys, but IMHO as a Heroscape TD, I think 90 minutes is a perfectly reasonable time limit for Day 2.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con