Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old June 24th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Apple screws up - Iphone 4 loses reception when you hold it.

All I gotta say is I'd be pissed, especially if I was left-handed.

http://gizmodo.com/5571171/iphone-4-...e-antenna-band

First time I've seen a company put out a phone that almost requires a case to work properly.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Last edited by jschild; June 24th, 2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Apple screws up - Iphone 4 loses reception when you hold

Seems unfortunate. The Xbox 360 taught me one thing: never buy the very first run of any electronic product.
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:18 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
Seems unfortunate. The Xbox 360 taught me one thing: never buy the very first run of any electronic product.
I agree with this sentiment, and I'm gonna have a really hard time sticking to it when the Nintendo 3DS comes out...

Old June 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
I agree with this sentiment, and I'm gonna have a really hard time sticking to it when the Nintendo 3DS comes out...
From what they showed at E3 it works great.......as long as you hold it exactly the right way lined up with your face. Otherwise you get crosseyed (think 3D movies with the glasses off) and they are not recommending it for small children because of eye strain issues due to that.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:32 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

On the original topic, I told my coworker who did get the Iphone 4 about this issue, we were able to replicate it. According to the Gizmodo article, most people could get it to go down to 1 bar but still keep calls. We got his phone to go from 5 bars all the way to searching for signal, and drop calls. Fun stuff. Of course, Apple is selling the $29 "Bumper" case to fix this, which is just a strip of rubber that goes around the outer edge where those antennas are.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
On the original topic, I told my coworker who did get the Iphone 4 about this issue, we were able to replicate it. According to the Gizmodo article, most people could get it to go down to 1 bar but still keep calls. We got his phone to go from 5 bars all the way to searching for signal, and drop calls. Fun stuff. Of course, Apple is selling the $29 "Bumper" case to fix this, which is just a strip of rubber that goes around the outer edge where those antennas are.
Yeah, I wonder if they are going to be stupid like MS was with the RROD?

They should offer one of those free to every person who bought one, instead of charging them or making them buy them.

Old June 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM

Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby! Claws of Death rolls all skulls baby!

*Sniff*

Smell that? Smells like a scam to make more $$. CONSPIRACY!!!!

"People of Gotham! Take control.... take control of your city! THIS.... this is the instrument, of your liberation...."
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Dr Feelgood

http://gizmodo.com/5572279/apples-ac...d-it-like-that

Quote:
Gripping any mobile phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases.
I've got to say, I've never held a cell phone that depending on where my hand is it went from 5 bars to zero.

Apparently, Apple is going with MS's "Let's not deal with reality" strategy for the RROD. I can see this going real well for them.

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Apparently, Apple is going with MS's "Let's not deal with reality" strategy for the RROD. I can see this going real well for them.
At least Microsoft gave an extended warranty for the RROD (an extra 2 years, actually) and made tons of attempts to solve it (as I understand it, most of the re-designed xbox is just covered in vents).

I remember reading something about how the antenna design was "a work of genius" because it used the metal band around the device as part of the antenna, which greatly boosted reception. Funny how that turned out.

I would like to think that this is a conspiracy to sell more cases, but that is kind of just a lucky side effect for apple and anyone who happens to make a case for this thing. But I guarantee Apple doesn't care, as with most other things. They will just adopt a "suck it up and deal with it" attitude (or, rather, they already have) and everyone will buy their phone anyways. I swear, they are slowly climbing on my list of "companies that don't deserve their success."
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
At least Microsoft gave an extended warranty for the RROD (an extra 2 years, actually) and made tons of attempts to solve it (as I understand it, most of the re-designed xbox is just covered in vents).
They did..... eventually. They did everything they could to not acknowledge it at the start though, just like apple is doing. Look for them to eventually offer the bumpers for free (as it's obvious they should be required - talk about a bad design oversight).

Quote:
I remember reading something about how the antenna design was "a work of genius" because it used the metal band around the device as part of the antenna, which greatly boosted reception. Funny how that turned out.
It was brilliant - I just don't know why they didn't coat the freaking thing with a polymer or something.

Quote:
I would like to think that this is a conspiracy to sell more cases, but that is kind of just a lucky side effect for apple and anyone who happens to make a case for this thing. But I guarantee Apple doesn't care, as with most other things. They will just adopt a "suck it up and deal with it" attitude (or, rather, they already have) and everyone will buy their phone anyways. I swear, they are slowly climbing on my list of "companies that don't deserve their success."
All I gotta say is that anyone who thinks Apple is more open and supportive than MS is totally insane. Everything is proprietary and closed, they don't play well with others (not that MS is great at that, just Apple is worse).

They need to watch the attitude before Google sneaks up on them like they have everyone else. Being open sourced, open to all carriers, and letting anyone design what they want is going to win them in the long run if Apple doesn't lose the superiority complex.

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:36 PM
GW Bush's

Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby! Billtog rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claws of Death View Post
*Sniff*

Welcome to Apple.
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Dr Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claws of Death View Post
*Sniff*

Welcome to Apple.
Well, you do have to honestly consider the timing of the Bumper - Apples first official case for the Iphone came out exactly in time for this, it costs 30 bucks and if pretty much 100% required if you are left handed or use it like the people in all the Apple adds do.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General