Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old April 28th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

@Hahma , I hope she manages the disease well. And I hope things continue to go well for your older daughter as well.
@Dad_Scaper , sounds like Grandpa_Scaper had a blast!

Old April 28th, 2015, 01:30 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Sorry to hear that Hahma, good luck!

Played another mission in our IA campaign last night. It was kind of a draw with Rebels getting the first objective, but failing the second.
Old April 28th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Dad_Scaper, sounds like Grandpa_Scaper had a blast!
Yup. I think coming to visit us may be his favorite thing in the world. He has nobody to play with when he goes home, despite family all around him.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 28th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
My thoughts go out to your daughter, @Hahma . I have a friend with Type I diabetes and he manages to live a fuller life than many others I know, just with simple management of his treatment and diet. Good luck to her and the rest of your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Oof! Good luck, Hahma. As Sherman says, and as I'm sure you know, it's just something you have to deal with. Not the end of the world. Like the parent of a kid with a severe allergy, you just watch her walk along the cliff's edge. You can keep her from falling, but you can't pull her back to safer ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Bummer, Hahma! I'll be sure to keep your daughter in my prayers!

Thanks fellas. Yeah, it's just basically a lifestyle change that we have to deal with and there is certainly a lot worse. Being that she's only 12, we have to make sure she learns the right way to take care of herself and make sure the school is on board with everything, and they are.

My dad got type 1 when he was 19 and had lots of issues and died in his mid 50's. Of course there has been a lot of advancement since then, and he didn't take care of himself the way he should have. My oldest daughter who just turned 23 and lives in Albany, NY, had gotten type 1 when she was 17 and is doing fine. Just a thing that has to be monitored and treated regularly and kept in balance.
My prayers are with you @Hahma . Since you obviously know the disease well having lived through it with multiple family members, I will keep my caution to a minimum. However, I would be remiss if I didn't mention my niece's battle since age 3 with the disease. Your eldest would not have experienced going through puberty with it and the subsequent self esteem issues that could occur. My niece struggled with weight and self esteem issues in her early teens and it got out of control before my sister could get a handle on the emotional side of things. My sister was so worried with the physical part of the equation that she missed the signs. My niece gave up taking care of herself for a while and while emotionally stable now, happily married etc, the damage is already done to her body. Just keep the emotional component in mind for her sake.
Old April 28th, 2015, 03:00 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
My dad was in town this past weekend, which meant a lot of gaming. I'd picked up Splendor a couple of weeks earlier partly because I knew he'd like it, and I'd picked up Bohnanza in a trade partly because I thought it was a game we could play with the kids & him. Both were a big success, with countless 2 & 3 player games of Splendor over the weekend and a pair of 4 player games of Bohnanza.

KidScaper was dominant in Splendor, when he deigned to participate with his elders, and won one of the two games of Bohnanza, too. He was definitely the big winner of the weekend; I think he didn't win just one of the games he played. Little cretin.
I just picked up the expansions for Beananza as we like to call it, but i think I like the original more. Splendor is still a go to for time constrained gaming, but Boss Monster might be unseating it. We have been playing that every day for the past week. Fun games where you are trying to kill the heroes with your dungeon. Nice change of pace, although mom is not super happy with it.
Old April 28th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

My dad really likes puzzle-style Euros. His first love was Ticket to Ride, then Power Grid, which we only ever played with two. Then Guildhall, though his tendency toward AP nearly caused a patricide many times during that game. When @akden showed me Splendor I realized it was a perfect fit. Terrific components, puzzle structure, fewer options and less screwage than GH. I love 'em all, but this is the one for him.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 28th, 2015, 04:56 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
As will I.

Quote:
Thanks fellas. Yeah, it's just basically a lifestyle change that we have to deal with and there is certainly a lot worse. Being that she's only 12, we have to make sure she learns the right way to take care of herself and make sure the school is on board with everything, and they are.

My dad got type 1 when he was 19 and had lots of issues and died in his mid 50's. Of course there has been a lot of advancement since then, and he didn't take care of himself the way he should have. My oldest daughter who just turned 23 and lives in Albany, NY, had gotten type 1 when she was 17 and is doing fine. Just a thing that has to be monitored and treated regularly and kept in balance.
I have a coworker whose daughter was diagnosed at 3 and is 11 now. Hopefully your girls can support each other. Since they are twins at least she has the possibility of having someone close throughout the day for support. I wish your family well my friend.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old April 28th, 2015, 05:48 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
@Hahma , I hope she manages the disease well. And I hope things continue to go well for your older daughter as well.
@Dad_Scaper , sounds like Grandpa_Scaper had a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
My thoughts go out to your daughter, @Hahma . I have a friend with Type I diabetes and he manages to live a fuller life than many others I know, just with simple management of his treatment and diet. Good luck to her and the rest of your family.
Quote:
Oof! Good luck, Hahma. As Sherman says, and as I'm sure you know, it's just something you have to deal with. Not the end of the world. Like the parent of a kid with a severe allergy, you just watch her walk along the cliff's edge. You can keep her from falling, but you can't pull her back to safer ground.

Quote:

My prayers are with you @Hahma . Since you obviously know the disease well having lived through it with multiple family members, I will keep my caution to a minimum. However, I would be remiss if I didn't mention my niece's battle since age 3 with the disease. Your eldest would not have experienced going through puberty with it and the subsequent self esteem issues that could occur. My niece struggled with weight and self esteem issues in her early teens and it got out of control before my sister could get a handle on the emotional side of things. My sister was so worried with the physical part of the equation that she missed the signs. My niece gave up taking care of herself for a while and while emotionally stable now, happily married etc, the damage is already done to her body. Just keep the emotional component in mind for her sake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
As will I.

Quote:

I have a coworker whose daughter was diagnosed at 3 and is 11 now. Hopefully your girls can support each other. Since they are twins at least she has the possibility of having someone close throughout the day for support. I wish your family well my friend.
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the support for sure.

@Gueri-Ornery, thanks for the heads up regarding the puberty and emotional aspect. We'll be sure to make sure she's well supported in every way

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 28th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Back to gaming, has anyone tried Mysterium? It's an interesting game from the Ukraine.

Basically, it's a cooperative game where someone was murdered in a house and one player plays as the ghost of the victim, while the other players play as mediums trying to get psychic readings through dreams in order to figure out what the murder weapon was, what room the murder happened and finally, who the murder is.

The ghost player has one murder weapon card, room card and murderer card for each player and they are in individual stacks with the player's colored token on top to keep track. Then there is a row of murder weapon cards, a couple rows of room cards and a couple rows of murderer cards.

The ghost player has a stack of dream cards that remind many people of Dixit cards. They are weird illustrated cards that the ghost player will give one to each player per round/night. Using that dream card as a clue, the player will place his crystal ball marker on a murder weapon card they think the dream card is supposed to be a clue for. This happens for each player. The ghost player is not allowed to acknowledge if the players guess was right or wrong. Then the ghost player will look at each stack of 3 cards for each player to check to see if anyone got the murder weapon right. Any player that got it right, moves on to guessing the room that the murder took place and will get a dream card for that. For those that guessed wrong, they will get another dream card, but it will again be for the murder weapon.

Basically you have 6 rounds/nights for all players to get through this and guess the murderer as their last goal. After that, I guess there is some kind of 7th round where the real murder weapon, room and murderer is determined between all the ones gained by the players. We didn't get that far as 2 of us failed to get the murderer right. I only had once chance at it since I was stuck trying to figure out the room for a few nights.

Interesting game and it's easy mechanically for sure, but difficult to win because the art on the cards is pretty "out there" and have several layers to it, where the dream card clue could be any number of things related to that dream card. It's hard for the ghost player because the clues often end up being so abstract or difficult to decipher because they only get 6 cards at a time to choose from to give out, and draw one more after each one they give out.

It was such a hit a couple weeks ago (when I wasn't there), that it got played like 5 times in a row, and then got played a couple more times last week and once again last night. I think there has only been one win so far for the players, as it's pretty challenging.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 28th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Back to gaming, has anyone tried Mysterium? It's an interesting game from the Ukraine.

Basically, it's a cooperative game where someone was murdered in a house and one player plays as the ghost of the victim, while the other players play as mediums trying to get psychic readings through dreams in order to figure out what the murder weapon was, what room the murder happened and finally, who the murder is.

The ghost player has one murder weapon card, room card and murderer card for each player and they are in individual stacks with the player's colored token on top to keep track. Then there is a row of murder weapon cards, a couple rows of room cards and a couple rows of murderer cards.

The ghost player has a stack of dream cards that remind many people of Dixit cards. They are weird illustrated cards that the ghost player will give one to each player per round/night. Using that dream card as a clue, the player will place his crystal ball marker on a murder weapon card they think the dream card is supposed to be a clue for. This happens for each player. The ghost player is not allowed to acknowledge if the players guess was right or wrong. Then the ghost player will look at each stack of 3 cards for each player to check to see if anyone got the murder weapon right. Any player that got it right, moves on to guessing the room that the murder took place and will get a dream card for that. For those that guessed wrong, they will get another dream card, but it will again be for the murder weapon.

Basically you have 6 rounds/nights for all players to get through this and guess the murderer as their last goal. After that, I guess there is some kind of 7th round where the real murder weapon, room and murderer is determined between all the ones gained by the players. We didn't get that far as 2 of us failed to get the murderer right. I only had once chance at it since I was stuck trying to figure out the room for a few nights.

Interesting game and it's easy mechanically for sure, but difficult to win because the art on the cards is pretty "out there" and have several layers to it, where the dream card clue could be any number of things related to that dream card. It's hard for the ghost player because the clues often end up being so abstract or difficult to decipher because they only get 6 cards at a time to choose from to give out, and draw one more after each one they give out.

It was such a hit a couple weeks ago (when I wasn't there), that it got played like 5 times in a row, and then got played a couple more times last week and once again last night. I think there has only been one win so far for the players, as it's pretty challenging.
Late to the party, but I'll add my prayers and well wishes along with those of the rest of the group.

I played Mysterium with a group at Hoop and Stick Con in February and thought it was an awesome game. It was described to me as a cooperative cross between Clue and Dixit. The only reason I haven't picked it up yet is because I didn't want to order it all the way from Eastern Europe. I hear a version is coming out in the U.S. this summer (Gen Con, maybe?), but it will have different artwork, which may be disappointing. It's a great game.
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

It sounds like a cross between Clue and The Resistance, looks fun.

My condolences as well, my sister has been struggling with diabetes for a few months now, and I know that's been tough on her.
Old April 28th, 2015, 11:25 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Late to the party, but I'll add my prayers and well wishes along with those of the rest of the group.
@Hahma - Ditto... praying and wishing you well. Having gone through this with your dad and oldest daughter, it won't be all new and the life style change won't be SO drastic. My wife has been gradually slipping into Typw-II D, and is now on medications (no insulin yet) and adjusting her diet, etc.

Last Friday my wife and I attended for the 3rd time the monthly "Family Game Night" at a local Baptist church and had fun making new friends. She played Ticket-To-Ride and won, while I muddled / fumbled through the first campaign scenario of FF's Star Wars: Imperial Assault as the Dark Side "DM" with three newbies who had a great time playing as the rebel heroes.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games