Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old April 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Wind in the Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcs Blade View Post
Very cool. I never would have guessed that they are all siblings. However, what does that make Valkrill?
Why, their little brother, of course. (You know, the one that killed the game when he arrived?)
Old April 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM

bumper15 is surprisingly tart

Chapter 7

The Wood Sprites let out a loud cheer as the ground beneath their feet began to grow firm and the trees began to look and feel more welcoming. They had at last made it out of the devil swamp.
The Marro had plagued them every step of the way since their first encounter. Most of the time they just kept a close watch, while every now and then they attacked. Everyone in their party bore at least one scratch or one burn mark from the Marro's deathly weapons. Everyone except for Aryan. Golgor's jubilant smile faded when he remembered her. He turned to his left and saw her being carried along in her stretcher.
She had fallen dangerously ill a few hours after the first battle and had been carried through the jungle. Sometimes she would mumble unintelligibly, but most of the time she stayed in her dark slumber.
Golgor's thoughts turned blacker when he remembered Rodric and Stefen. Rodric had been killed by a blast from one of the Marro, Aquilla had called it a 'Stinger'. Stefen had been cut to pieces by a swarm of the spear-wielders, 'Drones', two days later.
Aquilla who was in front turned around and said to him, "We have entered Ullar's lands. I do not think we can trust that we have maintained a perfectly straight line since Aryan last told us Mother Tree's direction, so instead I will take you to Ullar's castle where we'll meet with him and the rest of your people."
Golgor nodded an affirmation. Aquilla dropped back and continued in a whisper, "These Wood Sprites will follow you anywhere, if you are sure of what you are going to do, you have them and me behind you."
"Thank you," Golgor whispered back, "I have to, it has to end."

Orin turned at the sound of foot steps behind him. He was in the Great Hall again, studying the portraits. He had only been half paying attention to them however. As the day grew nearer, Orin found his thoughts turning more and more towards Golgor and the puzzle laid at his feet by Lindon's trial. Ullar entered and told him, "I need to see you in my study, it is about time I tell you why you are here."
Orin turned and followed Ullar to the room he called his study. Ullar took a seat behind his cluttered desk and motioned for Orin to pull a chair from the side. Once Orin was seated Ullar pulled out a roll of parchment and, after clearing off the center of his desk, unrolled it. It was a map of Valhalla.
"This here is my kingdom," he said waving his hand across a portion of the map, "My scouts have recently informed me that a small army has just left Utgar's jungles here," he indicated a spot on the map, "And are heading straight for this castle."
"Why would Utgar be invading now?"
"The army isn't Utgar's, it is led by Aquilla, and, according to the scouts, is made up of roughly one hundred archers."
"That is Aryan and the other Wood Sprites!" Orin exclaimed, letting his anxiety out.
"That is correct, I thought we should start our meeting with that bit of good news. Now for the reason I summoned you. I wanted to wait until the others arrived before I told you, but something has come up and once they arrive, I am going to have to send you out."
"We will fight for you Ullar, but I believe that it will take time for Aquilla to agree to let go of her half."
"Very true, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem, they will follow where you and Mother Tree order them to."
"Alright sir, now what is the reason that we were summoned? You know that we can't fight for you unless our enemies attack us first?"
"But you can fight undead. There is a large army of zombies from your planet of Feylund that have constantly been pressing my western border. It is your job to annihilate them."
Orin, while not pleased with continuing his fight with the undead, was nonetheless willing to repay his debt to Ullar. "If I may ask sir," Orin started, a frightening realization coming to him, "Who leads these undead?"
"I understand your fear, Orin, but you will not be fighting the Necromancer again. You do not know the being that leads these undead for he ruled after you were summoned here. He will exist in your future however. His name is Cyprien Esenwein."
Orin's blood ran cold, for while it is true that Orin had never heard of Cyprien, Esenwein had been the name of a noble, ruthless family of vampires up north in the Wastelands. A family of necromancers, weaker than the Necromancer but nonetheless powerful. They had refused to submit to the Necromancer, and he had responded by annihilating the entirefamily. Apparently either a young Cyprien, or an ancestor had escaped.
"I know of the family, sir," Orin said softly, "You can count on us to end his threat."
"Good, Orin," Ullar said, "Oh and one more thing. You need to be given your rank, so you know who you answer to. Judging from your skills with secrecy and you ability to read people, you are going to be my Intelligence Master, you will answer directly to me, and my second in command, Atlaga," Orin nodded, he had already met the captain of Ullar's personal guard and trusted him as a leader, "You will be busy on the Western border so you may pick up your duties as Intelligence Master on your return."
"Thank you sir," Orin said bowing his head slightly.
"You are dismissed."
Orin stood up and left Ullar's study, running through an endless list of ideas of how he will face his new opponent.

Last edited by bumper15; April 17th, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This thing just keeps on getting better and better. It's like you have a fountain of endless ideas, and somehow manage to weave them all together and make it flow naturally. This is great.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 01:11 PM

The comments are appreciated. Here's the next part.
Chapter 8

He had heard the horn, the day at last had come. Orin had been woken from his bed by the horn. It had originally been placed to warn the people of the city when an army was approaching. It was doing its job perfectly, but Orin knew this army had no intentions of attacking.
He finished pulling his clothes on and raced out to the courtyard to greet his brethren. The issue with Golgor would be handled later. Golgor and the others had just crossed through enemy territory, Orin didn't know the details, but he did know that they would be exhausted and the issue would only tax them further.
Orin made his way swiftly to the courtyard and proceeded to wait for the rest of the Wood Sprites in Ullar's castle. The warning horn was placed on the outer wall, so it would take some time for Golgor, Aryan, and them to arrive. Orin noticed that Ullar was already here. Orin watched as Ullar stood up from where he was waiting and came over to him.
"Are you ready?" he asked.
"Yes. The real question is, are you ready to face your sister?" Orin replied.
"It is not like I haven't done it before, it is always trying though."
Orin said nothing in reply and just sat there waiting. In a few moments, the rest of the Wood Sprites started trickling in. As they gathered, Orin began to feel anxious. He was eager to see his people reunited in this strange place, and he also wanted to meet this Aquilla in person.
A second horn sounded and all the Wood Sprites in the courtyard tensed, the others were at the gate. Ullar looked down to Orin and said, "When the gates open, you and I will walk forward."
Orin nodded just as six of Ullar's guard came up to the gate and proceeded to open it. A long line of Wood Sprites walked into the courtyard, five wide with something hidden in the center. Orin and Ullar stepped forward and walked towards the procession. Golgor stepped from the crowd, a woman, matching the picture hanging in the Great Hall, stepping with him.
"So you must be Aquilla," Orin began, "I am pleased to see that your journey was successful." He turned to Golgor and noticed several wounds on his arms that had almost healed. "Golgor, what befell you on the way?"
"Orin, that is a story for a different time, but I will show you a part of it," he gestured behind him and Orin saw that the hidden object in the column had been a stretcher, and in it lay Aryan unmoving. "We also lost Rodric and Stefen," Golgor added in a low voice. He turned to Ullar and said, bowing, "Lord Ullar, I haven't introduced myself, I am Golgor of Alarya, Captain of the Wood Sprites."
"You are welcome here, although I apologize for your troubles on the way."
"Brother, may I ask that the negotiations be held at a later time, so that the Wood Sprites may rest?" Aquilla asked.
"I have no qualms with that whatsoever. Do you agree Orin?"
Orin had made his way to his sister's side, he looked up and said, "I was going to request the same thing myself." He walked back up to them and said, "Mistress Aquilla, Lord Ullar, feel free to begin negotiations while we are gone," he turned to Golgor, "Are you up for a few more hours of travel?"
"We've walked for a week, I'd say we can make a few more hours. Provided I know where we are going."
"My friend, we are going to our new home," he turned to the Wood Sprites that had come with Golgor, "Are you willing to travel several more miles to welcome Mother Tree?"
The name of their protector and ward brought a loud cheer from every Wood Sprite in the courtyard.

Last edited by bumper15; April 23rd, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
"Brother, may I ask that the negotiations be held at a later time, so that the Wood Sprites may rest," Aquilla asked.
Let's see. If you really want criticism: Aquilla is asking a question. There should be a question mark inside the quotes at the end, not a comma. Same thing for exclamation points.

Great addition! What was that you were saying about jumping around?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:13 PM

I noticed that afterwards, I was hoping you wouldn't.

Thanks for the criticism, I completely missed that. Should I have had an exclamation point somewhere, or are you just saying that for future reference?
Old April 23rd, 2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumper15 View Post
I noticed that afterwards, I was hoping you wouldn't.

Thanks for the criticism, I completely missed that. Should I have had an exclamation point somewhere, or are you just saying that for future reference?

No, that was just for future reference.
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:11 PM

Chapter 9

"That is the entire story?" Orin asked Golgor.
"Down to the last shred of detail," Golgor affirmed.
Orin's mind raced through all possibilities of the mysterious affliction that plagued Aryan. They had arrived at the hill where Mother Tree stood vigil, over not only the Wood Sprites but the wellspring, five days ago. Everyone had rested gratefully. Orin reassumed control of a united family, although he became distant as he worried incessantly over Aryan.
Golgor had been an immense help, watching over Aryan when Orin couldn't, assissting Orin with settling disputes, and relieving tensions among the Wood Sprites towards the battle they knew was going on everywhere in this world. Some had witnessed it, the rest had heard about it. All were eager to finish their service here and return home.
Everyone's health had improved with their return to Mother Tree. That is except for Aryan. Aryan's condition had only gotten worse since she was brought here. Her body was rejecting all of Mother Tree's attempts to help. Orin didn't know what happened, but why had it only affected her?
Orin turned at the sound of someone climbing to the top of the hill where Golgor and Orin were meeting. It was Lindon. Orin noticed Golgor tense at the sight of him. Golgor's case would have to be handled shortly.
Golgor collected himself, "Lindon, how is the project going?" Golgor had maintained the position of Captain, at least until the trial.
"Very well Golgor. The project is proceeding well," Lindon was in charge of the project of extending the caverns under the hill to accomodate two hundred people. "I have come to inform you that one of Ullar's messengers showed up recently and said that Ullar and Aquilla request both of you as soon as you are able.
Orin turned to Golgor feeling exasperated. That was the only source of contention between them. Golgor insisted that the Marro were of more importance than a possible undead host being assembled. Orin was wary of the jungle where Aryan had fallen ill so suddenly and felt that it would be better to attack Cyprien's undead since they actually showed evidence of invading.
This argument also boiled down to which general to fight for. Each felt the general they had served under should lead them. Orin feared that if tensions grew hot enough, Golgor would take go outright against Orin's orders. Orin couldn't figure it out yet, but Golgor seemed changed.
Golgor nodded back to Orin. Orin sighed, it was time to get it over with, "We will set out at once to meet with them."

(Jump alert)

The negotiations were exactly how Orin had feared. Ullar and Orin sat at one side of the table, and Golgor and Aquilla sat on the other. Neither side was willing to give in. Golgor and Orin had both stated that a compromise was acceptable to them, but the generals would have none of it.
Golgor had at first offered the compromise that the Wood Sprites would fight under Aquilla in the spring and summer, and Ullar in the fall and winter. Aquilla refused on the grounds that summer was almost over, and that the troops would have to be moved to Aquilla's territory through Utgar's. Ullar refused saying that it would take more than half a year to eliminate Cyprien's army. Orin thought it was the best option, but kept silent for he still feared the Marro. He was starting to piece the puzzle pieces together, and he was fearing the final outcome more and more. He finally spoke that Golgor's option was the best.
It had turned from a fight between the two parties to between the Wood Sprites and the Valkyrie. Orin suddenly recalled his last negotiation, and the terror that had ensued, the terror that had brought them all to this spot. He feared what the result of this negotiation would bring.

Last edited by bumper15; May 1st, 2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:26 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

I love the way this is going. Keep up the good work.

Feeling like an old lurker. 15 years, wow. That's half as long as I've lived. Love y'all like family.
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:50 PM

Good work. Keep it up!
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:01 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcs Blade View Post
Very cool. I never would have guessed that they are all siblings. However, what does that make Valkrill?
Why, their little brother, of course. (You know, the one that killed the game when he arrived?)
Quote:
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to The Grim Reaper's Friend again

Feeling like an old lurker. 15 years, wow. That's half as long as I've lived. Love y'all like family.
Old May 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM

Orcs Blade knows what's in an order marker Orcs Blade knows what's in an order marker

Wow! I haven't been on heroscapers (a lot) recently, and haven't been keeping up with this story, but it's great! Keep it coming!

And to think I've been looking for reading material while I had this under my nose

Orcs Blade is Evar Scarcarver...
in theTWILIGHT CAVE...

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction