Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old May 7th, 2017, 10:42 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Need a new game

@UtahScott

Well we, of course, have played what I call the old-school standards like, Uno, Crazy 8, Sorry, etc. But when I wanted to expand to the more interesting type games I got Heroscape, Castle Panic, The Adventurers, Dominion, Last Night on Earth, Summoner Wars, Game of Thrones, and Magic the Gathering board game. I think there were a few others but can't think what they were.

I will tell you that my family didn't even try many of these games. They sat up in the closet collecting dust until I, stupidly, sold most of them not too long ago. I regret doing that now but it's done. Now I want to try again for something that I think we will all like but I don't really want to purchase a game that I already had.

I have never even heard of Flash Point Fire Rescue. I'll check it out. And thank you for the link. I'll check out their recommendations for sure. King of Tokyo comes up a lot and is really moving up on my list. Carcassonne is also one that I have considered more than once. That and Settlers of Catan. But I admit to thinking that they aren't too pretty compared to Blood Rage or Arcadia Quest

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:20 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
I have never even heard of Flash Point Fire Rescue. I'll check it out. And thank you for the link. I'll check out their recommendations for sure. King of Tokyo comes up a lot and is really moving up on my list. Carcassonne is also one that I have considered more than once. That and Settlers of Catan. But I admit to thinking that they aren't too pretty compared to Blood Rage or Arcadia Quest
Now that I have tons of miniatures games, its so blah going back to tokens and meeples for characters. I just can't make myself do it.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 7th, 2017, 01:29 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Now that I have tons of miniatures games, its so blah going back to tokens and meeples for characters. I just can't make myself do it.
Hehe. I believe that we think alike. I feel the same way. That is why I was hoping to find a Miniatures game that met all of my criteria.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; May 9th, 2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old May 9th, 2017, 08:03 PM

Pandemic was not mentioned by anyone here but I see is suggested quite a lot in other places. Is it not a well-liked game with Heroscapers for some reason?

If I did decide to try Pandemic, should I go with the original or Reign of Cthulhu?

Old May 9th, 2017, 10:02 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Pandemic was not mentioned by anyone here but I see is suggested quite a lot in other places. Is it not a well-liked game with Heroscapers for some reason?

If I did decide to try Pandemic, should I go with the original or Reign of Cthulhu?
It's a cool little co-op game. The only problem is one really good player will basically play this game by himself, so be careful that doesn't happen with your family or they'll lose interest.

Theme-wise it's up to you. They are different games, but similar enough to basically decide on what theme you prefer (Scientists fighting contagions or Investigators fighting cultists and Shoggoths). I prefer RoC, but I'm a huge Lovecraft fan so I'm biased.
Old May 9th, 2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
I prefer RoC, but I'm a huge Lovecraft fan so I'm biased.
RoC certainly looks and sounds better to me.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old May 10th, 2017, 03:48 AM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Hehe. I believe that we think alike. I feel the same way. That is why I was hoping to find a Miniatures game that met all of my criteria.
Here's the miniatures from the Flash Point: Extreme Danger boxed expansion (Dog & Veteran available separately), but they're unpainted out of the box.

Re: Pandemic...Forbidden Island and its slightly more complicated sibling Forbidden Desert share the same game engine as Pandemic, but are a little cheaper. FI plays 4, FD plays 5. Nothing wrong with Pandemic, but it's notorious for "alpha players," who understand the game better, to order everyone else around, saying "You should go here and do this." Don't do that.

P.S. Why not go to a couple local game stores with your family and play some of their demo games? That way you can make an informed group decision as a family about what games everyone might like, before you buy anything. Check MeetUp.com for local gamer groups as well, I saw at least one when I checked a day or two ago.
Old May 10th, 2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post
Here's the miniatures from the Flash Point: Extreme Danger boxed expansion (Dog & Veteran available separately), but they're unpainted out of the box.

Re: Pandemic...Forbidden Island and its slightly more complicated sibling Forbidden Desert share the same game engine as Pandemic, but are a little cheaper. FI plays 4, FD plays 5. Nothing wrong with Pandemic, but it's notorious for "alpha players," who understand the game better, to order everyone else around, saying "You should go here and do this." Don't do that.

P.S. Why not go to a couple local game stores with your family and play some of their demo games? That way you can make an informed group decision as a family about what games everyone might like, before you buy anything. Check MeetUp.com for local gamer groups as well, I saw at least one when I checked a day or two ago.
Wow, those miniatures look fantastic. I am still considering this game, even more so now

So do all of the Pandemic variants (Forbidden Island, Cthulhu, etc.) suffer from this "alpha player" problem?

Old May 10th, 2017, 10:21 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I doubt Blood Rage will go over very well, I know it didn't with my kids. Mechs vs Minions is an excellent co-op but only plays 4 and must be ordered directly from Riot Games. Burgle Bros. is really fun, both my kids enjoy it. It is challenging to win but has relatively simple rules. Clank! is an interesting deck builder that includes a board and thief meeple to move around and collect things. We like Arcadia Quest but it always seems to take forever to play. Have you looked at Colt Express, Black Fleet, or Takenoko? They have all been hits with my kids at some point in their gaming development.
Old May 10th, 2017, 10:34 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahScott View Post

Wow, those miniatures look fantastic. I am still considering this game, even more so now

So do all of the Pandemic variants (Forbidden Island, Cthulhu, etc.) suffer from this "alpha player" problem?
I have forbidden Desert and my 9 year old son likes it but it takes discipline on my part to not be the alpha player. We let him make his choices and he typically thinks things through but sometimes he makes a choice that we are fairly certain will lead to doom. Sometimes it's worked out for him though so...you never know.

I've caught the tail end of my wife's first game of pandemic not long ago. I was playing another game that ended earlier at a friends game night so I checked it out. It seemed like it had the same issue since only one person had played it before. Afterwards I asked my wife if she enjoyed it and she said yes but then she also said...I'm not sure how much I contributed. I would imagine if you all started the game together and learned it at the same time it may be less of an issue.

Forbidden Desert is fairly cheap if you decide to give that family a try before investing in pandemic.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
I doubt Blood Rage will go over very well, I know it didn't with my kids. Mechs vs Minions is an excellent co-op but only plays 4 and must be ordered directly from Riot Games. Burgle Bros. is really fun, both my kids enjoy it. It is challenging to win but has relatively simple rules. Clank! is an interesting deck builder that includes a board and thief meeple to move around and collect things. We like Arcadia Quest but it always seems to take forever to play. Have you looked at Colt Express, Black Fleet, or Takenoko? They have all been hits with my kids at some point in their gaming development.
Mechs and Minions looks awesome. It is just far too expensive for me to even consider.

I have not heard of Colt Express or Black Fleet, but I have been looking at Takenoko and it looks interesting. I'll check out the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I have forbidden Desert and my 9 year old son likes it but it takes discipline on my part to not be the alpha player. We let him make his choices and he typically thinks things through but sometimes he makes a choice that we are fairly certain will lead to doom. Sometimes it's worked out for him though so...you never know.

I've caught the tail end of my wife's first game of pandemic not long ago. I was playing another game that ended earlier at a friends game night so I checked it out. It seemed like it had the same issue since only one person had played it before. Afterwards I asked my wife if she enjoyed it and she said yes but then she also said...I'm not sure how much I contributed. I would imagine if you all started the game together and learned it at the same time it may be less of an issue.

Forbidden Desert is fairly cheap if you decide to give that family a try before investing in pandemic.
I didn't even realize that Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island were based on Pandemic until you guys mentioned it. I'll have to look at those two games a little closer.

Old May 10th, 2017, 08:49 PM

CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker CJofCourse knows what's in an order marker

Every co-op game can suffer from the alpha player problem. While Flash Point does what it can to minimize the problem, it can still suffer, you need some self-control to not scream when others make the wrong decision, although if you're looking to build up strategic thinking in your younger ones, Flash Point is a solid choice. It is really chaotic, but simple enough that anyone can find or make a clear path to victory.

One game I have recently discovered is CVlizations, it plays up to five, under an hour, it is REALLY simple, it does require planning and prediction, which are the basics of strategy. I highly recommend it as a family game.

Yet another game I recommend is Survive: Escape from Atlantis, it plays up to five with a very easy to find and cheap expansion (normally plays four), although if your kids have that usual problem with THE situation, ya know, the one where you destroy one meeple of their's and they break down in tears/screaming/etc. you may want to avoid it.

+1 for King of Tokyo, while appearing simple and chaotic, you can find ways to plan some things out.
+1 for Catan, while it goes over your preferred time limit, it is a solid starter game.

-------------------------
Join our HeroScape discord! https://discord.gg/DXRaqvn
Talk about everything heroscape, or just hang out!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games