Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old October 14th, 2022, 11:57 AM
Upset City Baby!

brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness brak88 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Age of Annihilation - Backer Trend and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
I'm in for two, I would throw in for more if its on the edge. Two is all I need though.

The exclusive content from the HeroQuest campaign is up to about $850 on ebay right now. I could see the two exclusive figures from HS AoA going for $100.
Crazy to think that the exclusive figures from this will go from "I don't like those colors or that price. I'm passing on this matter set as a whole" to "I'll basically pay almost the same amount of the full AoA for just those two figures."

I feel like the vast majority of people that would be willing to pay close to same amounts of money as the super rare painted original exclusive con heroscape figures and individual Aquilas alliance figures are the ones currently planning on buying 3+ copies already. I don't currently see where outside demand will happen that aren't already going to back

But I'm not a collector just for collecting and sitting as look pieces type person though, so I can't really understand or get into that mind set.

Upset City Baby.
Old October 14th, 2022, 12:05 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

There's always a % that either miss the boat completely or (especially if this is funded) get introduced to the game after the fact and go feral

-insert signature here-
Old October 14th, 2022, 12:16 PM

SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness SuperSamyon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

It's a great question and there is definitely a strong psychological aspect to collecting. I do believe that the mental elements that drive a person to be a compulsive gambler are the same elements that drive a person to make irrational purchase decisions for the things they collect. Hence why paying outlandish prices for exclusives is so engrained in our hobby culture.

It's why I think eventually loot crates and collectable card games may face the same scrutiny as gambling sites since so often these items are purchased for their second hand market strength. I've often argued that Kickstarters in some way are also by nature somewhat predatory given that there is very much a culture of backing Kickstarters without ever having an intention of playing the game. The phrase "FOMO kicking in" is a rebranding and more pleasant way of saying "addiction kicking in." Addiction tied to spending leads many down a path of financial instability which is why I'm always advocating against addictive or FOMO spending since once someone starts, it can be hard to stop.

It shouldn't be too surprisingly to any of us that those who have a propensity towards addictive spending on their hobby cannot then fathom someone making the decision to not spend money on an item even though they love it.
Old October 14th, 2022, 12:23 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSamyon View Post
It's a great question and there is definitely a strong psychological aspect to collecting. I do believe that the mental elements that drive a person to be a compulsive gambler are the same elements that drive a person to make irrational purchase decisions for the things they collect. Hence why paying outlandish prices for exclusives is so engrained in our hobby culture.

It's why I think eventually loot crates and collectable card games may face the same scrutiny as gambling sites since so often these items are purchased for their second hand market strength. I've often argued that Kickstarters in some way are also by nature somewhat predatory given that there is very much a culture of backing Kickstarters without ever having an intention of playing the game. The phrase "FOMO kicking in" is a rebranding and more pleasant way of saying "addiction kicking in." Addiction tied to spending leads many down a path of financial instability which is why I'm always advocating against addictive or FOMO spending since once someone starts, it can be hard to stop.

It shouldn't be too surprisingly to any of us that those who have a propensity towards addictive spending on their hobby cannot then fathom someone making the decision to not spend money on an item even though they love it.
I’m just the opposite. Even if I can afford something, I won’t buy it just to have it. I’ve never been motivated by exclusives or add-ons. In fact, most of the time, it’s just too much.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old October 14th, 2022, 12:38 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I could (should) probably learn a thing or two from the GB school of finance.

-insert signature here-
Old October 14th, 2022, 12:50 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
In fact, most of the time, it’s just too much.
This is how I feel about the all-in kickstarters that give you 12 boxes of extra miniatures and expansions, etc. If it takes me more time to get it all out and sort through than it does to actually play I’ll either never touch it or I’ll pull out the base game box and the extra stuff will sit.

I do realize the irony of this statement on a Heroscape forum.
Old October 14th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
I could (should) probably learn a thing or two from the GB school of finance.
Well, I mean there’s no Taelord in this set. If Taelord was included, we would have funded by now!

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old October 14th, 2022, 12:55 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Quote:
In fact, most of the time, it’s just too much.
This is how I feel about the all-in kickstarters that give you 12 boxes of extra miniatures and expansions, etc. If it takes me more time to get it all out and sort through than it does to actually play I’ll either never touch it or I’ll pull out the base game box and the extra stuff will sit.

I do realize the irony of this statement on a Heroscape forum.
The odd thing is that gamers will gripe about the tiniest shift in price all the time. But you look at these big multimillion dollar KS campaigns and you see that they have all-ins coming in at $600+ dollars. You think “that’s ridiculous, who’s going to pay that?” Then you find out that over 70% of their backers were all-in, and you realize that there is a lot of money out there just waiting to be spent on frivolous things.

And remember when Heroscape first came out, one of our forum members bought 42 copies of ROTV. Not to part out and sell on eBay. He just bought them to own them and stack them in his basement.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old October 14th, 2022, 01:00 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yes, that compulsion @SuperSamyon mentioned above is powerful. They get you in for $100 and it’s only $150 more for all the things you REALLY want, no actually NEED for the full experience, but for just $200 more you can get EVERYTHING!
Old October 14th, 2022, 01:02 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think channeling excitement and creating momentum is a powerful tool with any marketing campaign. The "bandwagon effect" can make someone that's willing to spend $600 on a game or buy a dozen copies of something not feel like an oddball or question their own judgement if they know there are hundreds or thousands of others willing to do the same.

EDIT: The person buying 42 copies knows they're ridiculous and doesn't care.
Old October 14th, 2022, 01:15 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
And remember when Heroscape first came out, one of our forum members bought 42 copies of ROTV. Not to part out and sell on eBay. He just bought them to own them and stack them in his basement.
I always assumed he bought those when Toys R Us (RIP) sold the RotV set as a "buy one, get one free" deal, so he only bought, uhhh.... 21 sets? Totally normal amount.
Old October 14th, 2022, 01:20 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think an overlooked part of why a lower buy-in is so useful in a campaign is that so often you can get people to do the initial buy-in as an impulse buy and then a lot of them will convert to the higher amount over time by spending more time around the campaign, whereas if the initial buy-in feels too high, they'll have more of an ability to just walk away.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion