Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old March 7th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Watched Blade Runner last night on Netflix. I think it's a victim of the same thing Citizen Kane was for me. Really important, formative movie, that inspired a lot of other movies since. Which means I've already absorbed a ton of the good ideas of the movie in, frankly, slicker packages.

As a result, it ended up feeling outdated and unnecessarily slowly paced for me, with awkwardly inserted exposition, and characters it insisted I care more about than I ended up doing. It was solidly OK, but didn't match its reputation for me.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 7th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

If you saw it when it first came out, then it would have been much better. Sometimes it's harder for older movies to live up to the hype, especially now that special effects have become so much better over the past decade or so.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:14 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
If you saw it when it first came out, then it would have been much better. Sometimes it's harder for older movies to live up to the hype, especially now that special effects have become so much better over the past decade or so.
Exactly. And honestly not just special effects, but also narrative delivery style has changed. Modern audiences just don't tolerate things like voiceovers. We expect you to slyly slide important information into the dialogue and general plot progression of the film.

I think Blade Runner would've benefited a lot from Deckard teaming up with Rachel sooner so that the two could've simultaneously discussed the case without use of voiceover and formed a more convincing emotional bond.

Also, just some interesting anachronisms: Deckard reading a newspaper (who'd have predicted those would be so outdated now?), the surprisingly rapey love scene, an instance of yellow face (Roy with the big eyes and sticking his teeth out while using a racially charged voice) that would've never flown today, etc.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 7th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I felt the same way about Blade Runner when I saw it a couple years ago. It's not a very exciting movie, though I feel a bit uncultured saying that.

I watched Dave and Children of Men over the weekend. Dave was funny and never tried to be stupid-funny, which I appreciated. The plot was strong as well. My only snaggle with it was the forced romance. Children of Men was a masterpiece. The cinematography was brilliant and the movie made me feel like I was right there in the war, bullets buzzing around me. I liked how the main characters felt so normal; too often in fiction all the events and characters revolve around the protagonists. In Children of Men, the protagonists were just unfortunately stuck in the middle of it all, which felt very realistic.
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:33 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Watched Blade Runner last night on Netflix. I think it's a victim of the same thing Citizen Kane was for me. Really important, formative movie, that inspired a lot of other movies since. Which means I've already absorbed a ton of the good ideas of the movie in, frankly, slicker packages.
Amazingly I've yet to see it myself, but feared the same results so haven't really tried. Though I still enjoyed Citizen Kane when I saw it last year.

To a lesser extent but same idea in the bolded portion above I watched Oblivion, Total Recall remake, and Elysium in a short period of time between Oblivion in the theater and Elysium released on Bluray and felt like I would rank them all differently if I watched them in the opposite order. I think I would have liked Elysium more had I not already seen the other two.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I was never a fan of Blade Runner and I saw it as soon as it hit home video.

But not liking Citizen Kane is a crime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Amazingly I've yet to see it myself, but feared the same results so haven't really tried. Though I still enjoyed Citizen Kane when I saw it last year.

To a lesser extent but same idea in the bolded portion above I watched Oblivion, Total Recall remake, and Elysium in a short period of time between Oblivion in the theater and Elysium released on Bluray and felt like I would rank them all differently if I watched them in the opposite order. I think I would have liked Elysium more had I not already seen the other two.
Yeah, tons of movies that pull from the same concepts as Blade Runner but do it with a bit more pizzaz. Fwiw, I liked Citizen Kane more as a movie, and didn't find it as slow as I found Blade Runner, it's just that I'd kind of seen the Citizen Kane style and substance before (including recently in The Aviator at that point).

Old March 7th, 2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I was never a fan of Blade Runner and I saw it as soon as it hit home video.

But not liking Citizen Kane is a crime!
I actually did like Citizen Kane, I just know that I would've liked it better had I not seen a lot of other movies inspired by its aesthetic and using its techniques first.

Old March 7th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

OK, no jail time then but you'll need to do some community service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
That's exactly how I feel about the first Alien movie. That film's influence can be seen everywhere, and I can only imagine how audiences in 1979 must've reacted to seeing that kind of stuff back then. But the Xenomorph is common movie knowledge nowadays, so it was really hard to be scared of the unknown when said unknown is a pop culture icon.

Quote:
Exactly. And honestly not just special effects, but also narrative delivery style has changed. Modern audiences just don't tolerate things like voiceovers. We expect you to slyly slide important information into the dialogue and general plot progression of the film.
Watch the director's cut (the Netflix version is the theatrical release). Ridley Scott fought against putting voiceover in the film and it detracts from the overall experience.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old March 7th, 2016, 05:43 PM

Yeah, but the Netflix version is already paid for.

Glad to hear that the voiceover is one thing different in the director's cut. I have heard that the director's cut is better on that one.

Old March 10th, 2016, 02:18 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:

As a result, it ended up feeling outdated and unnecessarily slowly paced for me, with awkwardly inserted exposition, and characters it insisted I care more about than I ended up doing. It was solidly OK, but didn't match its reputation for me.
Excellent points about Blade runner. Even though there is a DVD copy on the shelf behind me, I haven't seen it in YEARS. However, just because it is futuristic and Harrison Ford is in it, I'll always it as the Pre-Prequel prequel to the original Star Wars Tilogy as Han Solo's backstory (ha ha ha). This movie and "Ice Pirates" are two of my all time SciFi favorites.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies