Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 13th, 2013, 08:33 PM

1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!
Custom Creations Mini-Course for School (Grades 9-12)

Since 2005, I have been sharing the Heroscape gaming experience with my students through after gaming time--after Heroscape.net, but during the time of HeroscapeHQ.com. Over the last 6 years, I have been allowed to run two different game-day events per school year (a Winter game-day and a Spring game-day). Each game-day event has been filled with a variety of students (from document gang-members to foster youth, and regardless of the composition of the group, students have always been engaged and excited to play. We have even been allowed to make t-shirts each year, that have been given to each participating students (for both the Winter game-day, and the Spring game-day).

Last year, I was also fortunate enough to be nominated for two different Teacher of Year Awards--one I received, and the other I was in the top 5 finalists for the county I work in. So the point of mentioning all of the above is not meant to toot my own horn, instead it is meant to show the seriousness and sincerity of why I started this thread.

Over the last few years, I have also been blessed to be a member of a hand-full of different professional developments, grants, & research projects—ranging from improving writing across the curriculum, such as being a Teaching Consultant for the CSU Stanislaus based Great Valley Writing (GVWP), to helping create integrated courses with the University of California Office of the President (UCOP). All of these opportunites coupled with the reception of my hour long Teacher of the Year presentation (this past October) about after school programs (which featured a music mentor program, a school garden, and a Heroscape gaming club), has led to me draft a mini-course based on creating custom units for Heroscape.

During the planning and writing of my Teacher of the Year presentation, I was determined to demonstrate the benefits of exposing all students, especially students in alternative school programs, to a variety of afterschool activities. Early in the planning of my presentation, the music program and school garden seemed to be the easiest activities to present, especially since they are rooted in more well-known sentiments about student enrichment and hands-on learning—such as the Guitars Not Guns Music Program and California School Garden Network. On the other hand, an after school board game group seemed to be a little difficult to explain since most of the games played, especially Heroscape, didn’t really fall under the traditional examples of gaming clubs that are usually organized around classic games, such as Chess or Backgammon. Though the game Heroscape seemed non-conventional, I quickly realized—after listing the skills needed to play, as well as the skills that were practiced and developed through creating customized game pieces and rules—that compared to both of the other after school activities, the customizing of game pieces and rules actually led to a higher level of critical thinking, reading, organization, communication, and creativity for all participating students.

A month after my epiphany about the level of rigor and academic applications that are related to the after school board game group, I decided to find a way to integrate such a fun and engaging learning experience with my entire home-room class. After conducting an interest poll for my home-room class, and running a short-pitch across my administrator, I got to work on determining which California State Standards and Common Core State Standards would be addressed. I quickly discovered how I could create a variety of rigorous and relevant activities that can scaffold into a complicated end product, while also covering variety of academic skill-based standards that range from English Language Arts to Science.

n general, I suggest that the credits earned through the following mini-course be applied as elective credit, but this does have to be the exclusive destination. Depending on the modifications to the activities and the time dedicated to each activity, a teacher can easily use such a mini-course as a once per week enrichment activity for an English class. The school program in which I teach, allows for flexibility, especially when creating innovative and rigorous learning experiences, so my application of the follow mini-course is currently done as a preferred activity, time or PAT, for those familiar with Fred Jones and his book Tools for Teaching.

Prior to creating this mini-course idea, I have had extension assignments that were previously attached to the (Winter and Spring) game-day events:

-Story telling: Students retell a single game in a narrative with dialogue and description of the major events of the game/battle.

-Mock historical accounts: Two students write short (1 page per student) accounts from contrasting sides. After writing their own mock historical account, both students compare and analyze all biased viewpoints that shaped each written account.

-An essay*: About the benefits of team building—focusing on importance of developing and identifying common goals when working with people that you do not know that well. *This applies to games that included team-play.

I am using many of this site's resources as references for the key activities and assignments in the mini-course, such as the pdf files of the Heroscape rulebook, the Books for Official Units, and the C3V play testing reports, and the C3v fictional narrative/biography writing guidelines.

Now, for the reasons for creating this thread:
1. To have a space reserved, and to document the overall progress of the course--considering the strengths, weakness, and challenges of the Key Assignments and Activities.

2. To get feedback from the community--especially other educators.

3. To share this with other educators and after school programs that may be able to implement or offer such a mini-course.

This thread only the most recent mini-course outline, but over time it is expected to evolve in clarity, expectations, and implementation. Other future ambitions also include: videos, tutorials, and letters to Hasbro (to share the academic application). For now this will be expanded one step, and one success, at a time.

Heroscape Custom Game Piece & Card Mini-Course Outline

Second Draft

Spoiler Alert!

How Activities From the Mini-Course Can Blend into Other Subject Areas
Though a reading of the following course outline will most likely cause a reader to see connections between the activities and the academic standards of varies subject areas, I feel it is beneficial to provide some specific examples and explanations.
English Language Arts: Students will be required to complete a variety of writing tasks.
1. Writing a creative story (fictional narratives or biographies).

2. Technical writing that is precise and specific (when writing customized rules).

3. Completing a written play-testing report that provides an analysis of their own testing results, as well as providing clear and concise feedback.

4. Writing multiple drafts (including a finalized typed copy) of both their customized game card and their fictional narrative (or biography).

Government, Economics, and History: Understanding how to understand and interpret an established system of laws and behaviors.
1. Students will understand the significance of specific terms or phrases and how they impact procedures and potential innovations.

2. Students are forced to work within an already established rules system, but they are able to create new rules if they do not directly imbalance other units in the already established game system.

3. Understanding supply and demand when researching miniature game pieces.

4. Understanding marketing and product testing—through the creation of their own unit presentation.

5. Copyrights, and intellectual property rights, when considering Hasbro’s statement on creating and distributing customized game pieces for the Heroscape Game System.

6. Demonstrating historical knowledge when writing a fictional narrative, or biography.

Science: Applications of the Scientific Method and Peer Review.
1. Students will understand the importance of keeping records when testing something.

2. Students will understand the importance of peer review and repeated tests, in order to check the accuracy of prior test results.

3. Students will understand the importance of trying to prove a hypothesis wrong, in order to avoid any many errors as possible—especially when designing tests with a confirmation bias.

Math: Probability, Percentages, Pre-Algebra, and Constructing Tables or Graphs
1. Students will need to understand how to calculate probability related to rolling multiple 6-sided dice at the same time.

2. Students will need to understand how percentages are directly related to a 20-sided die.

3. Students will need to be able to calculate averages.

4. Students will need to compute basic calculations on a regular basis, or they may also create equations that included 1-2 variables.

5. Students must understand how to develop a variety of graphic organizers or tables, and they must also determine which type(s) best summarizes the data related to their presentation.

My Current (Poor Quality) Google-site for the mini-course:
http://goo.gl/GI09l

Student Surveys & Reflections Forms:
http://goo.gl/jnwhr
http://goo.gl/i55tt
http://goo.gl/44xO6

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hymar's_Temple
1moreheroscaper's_Customs
War_of_the_Great_Wellspring

Last edited by 1moreheroscaper; March 3rd, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:39 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth
Re: Custom Creations Mini-Course for School (Grades 9-12)

Wow 1HS; that is so darn cool!

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old January 13th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Your wish is my command, Chief Underpants Eater

ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness ibechief wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Very impressive. This has potential to give kids a subject matter that will make them 'want' to learn and excel.

“Have you ever hoped for something? And held out for it against all the odds? Until everything you did was ridiculous? "
Old January 13th, 2013, 10:07 PM

1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBeeblebrox View Post
Wow 1HS; that is so darn cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibechief View Post
Very impressive. This has potential to give kids a subject matter that will make them 'want' to learn and excel.
Thanks for the brief feedback so far.

Here is the article that my administrator sent out to our teachers, which inspired this brain child to really take shape:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elizab...b_2412120.html

I am also a curriculum writing mentor for our program's thematic curriculum--from social studies to science, so I am already familiar with a lot of the teaching strategies and standards (especially for California), so such an elective class seems very plausible to me. Also, the entire processes of the C3G & C3V, including the heavy peer review and analysis is very rigorous--academic in record keeping and writing--and it leads to a professional grade final product.
So in short, it seems to be a no-brainer.

Hymar's_Temple

Last edited by 1moreheroscaper; January 13th, 2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:38 AM

Got the thumbs up on starting the mini-course (held once a week).
This Friday is scheduled to be the first class: Guided game instructions and 1-2 mini-battles per student.
Classes 2-3 will be reading, clarifying rules, and learning from playing errors done during the first class, and then correctly following/applying the rules.

After the first three classes, the real creative work, writing, thinking, and collaboration will begin.

Hymar's_Temple
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:01 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This is very cool. I have just introduced Heroscape to my 7th and 8th graders. They play Heroscape during their breaks in addition to Magic the Gathering.

Just had Parent Teacher Conferences last night and had a handful of parents express their gratitude for giving students the gaming opportunities.

I just think that it is awesome that your school let you create a class for this. If you have your students post their customs on here, I would be happy to help play test and critic them.
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
This is very cool. I have just introduced Heroscape to my 7th and 8th graders. They play Heroscape during their breaks in addition to Magic the Gathering.

Just had Parent Teacher Conferences last night and had a handful of parents express their gratitude for giving students the gaming opportunities.

I just think that it is awesome that your school let you create a class for this. If you have your students post their customs on here, I would be happy to help play test and critic them.
Tiranx, thanks for the sharing your experiences about student and the positive impact of Scape. Also, thank you for the offer of play testing the cards...maybe we can turn this in to an inter-school activity.

My director has suggested that I draft my mini-course into an article for an administrative journal, since it is an extension of the Afterschool activities presentation that I gave earlier in the school year. I am also trying to coordinate some filming of the key activities and assignments from the mini-course.

So far for week #1, every student has played their first game--after a brief demo, using preset armies. I also conducted a short student survey via google-forms.

For week #2, we will be reviewing the rule book, reflecting on last week, and the students will draft their own 450 point armies for week #3. One of the survey questions for week #1 was about the type of unit genres or themes that interests them most--so I can be prepared to gear them towards certain units for their army builds.

A very funny thing I have to share is this:
There were a fair amount of the junior and senior students that were skeptical of this "geeky" strategy board game with robots and vikings, but it changed once I started informing them about the army themes that I had predrafted for the day. It was along the lines of:
"Who would like a Roman and Redcoats army?" "Me!"
"Who would like a bunch of Dragons?" "I will!"
"I have a vampire and zombies army" "I'll take that one."

These cool teens, quickly found themselves something that match their own tastes.

Hymar's_Temple
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:08 AM

Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby! Drewman-chu rolls all skulls baby!

I just found this thread and had to respond. I am a fellow educator from Ma and think you are on to something very cool. I have run after-school middle school game clubs that have included Heroscape but I think you are doing something that has great potential. I had the same idea of introducing customs to students but I work in a much different capacity then your position. I am a occupational therapist who works with grades K-12.
I think your outline for the course looks fantastic. All the critical thinking skills involved in playing the game and creating customs will make for a incredibly rewarding experience for your students.
I would be happy to offer you any support that can. I have been involved in making customs Marvel section for a couple of years and have really enjoyed the process that goes into creating a custom card. I have made 1 attempt at a classic Heroscape custom too. I also dabbled with some Star Wars customs. The possibilities are endless and there can almost always be something to suit the individual student. Again I think this is a awesome idea and please let me know if there is anything I could do to assist you.
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:14 AM
C-Wedgie

cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness cwidje wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This makes me want to live there!

Though numerous pronunciation attempts have been made, I have recently spurned my moniker. Feel free to refer to me as BowTieJones instead.
Old February 27th, 2013, 02:28 AM

Drewman-chu sent me a PM about the mini-course. I have been meaning to update this thread, but I have been slammed with other extra things at work recently.

Anyway, my director has definitely said that she wants me to add some more explanations and commentary to my course outline, so I can submit it as an article for an upcoming journal for administrators--so on that level it is good.

As for the students and the class, here is the current break down:

Class #1: Playing the game with minimal instructions (and armies I pre-drafted)--basics: order markers, turns, rounds, movement, attacking, and defending. Whole class instruction to get started. I also had some experience students playing, so I match them with new players.

Class #1 Post Class Reflection Survey: http://goo.gl/jnwhr
(Your welcome to look at all of the surveys to this point, but please don't submit any responses because I want to keep my spreadsheet with only my students responses)

Class #2: Reviewing the Rulebook, the anatomy of an Army Card, and how to draft an army. This first drafting by students was generally poorly chosen armies. I used the "BOOKS" as the drafting resource since they are so awesome.

Post Class Reflection Survey: http://goo.gl/i55tt

Class #3: Playing with poorly chosen armies.

Post Class Reflection: http://goo.gl/44xO6

Class #4: Exploration and beginning of custom design.
I haven't completed the survey for this one yet, they will take it after class #5.

UPCOMING - Class #5: Complete rough-drafts of customs and small peer review groups. I expect this to be rough, but I am hoping that about 20% of the students will have some decent ideas to work with for week #7 (first play-testing by unit creator)

I provided the short links for each of surveys/class reflections so far, so you can look at the questions if you are interested. I had to skip one week of class because we had some disappointment with classwork and student behavior when we had a substitute teacher for another class--not during the scheduled Heroscape day, but during the middle of the week. I laid out the weekly expectations before we started the mini-course, so the class did not earn the mini-course for that one week.

As for the participation and engagement of the students--they all participate, but the level of seriousness various just like all other subjects and activities. I estimate that about 20% are really sketching out some good ideas for customs, though they will need a lot of editing and testing. Then it seems that about 20% are really stumbling with ideas, concepts, and more specifically the game rules. The remaining 60% are truly in the middle--still a little confused, but they show the potential of having something that could be used for reasonable playtesting.

This week's class will give me a better idea. Next week will be miniature research, in order to find a miniature that matches their custom ideas and character storyline.

Drewman-chu, thank you again for getting to update this sooner rather than later.

Hymar's_Temple

Last edited by 1moreheroscaper; February 27th, 2013 at 02:34 AM.
Old February 27th, 2013, 08:35 AM

cstrocs is surprisingly tart

This is by farone of the coolest ideas for a high school course EVER!
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:00 AM

cstrocs is surprisingly tart

I need to take this course is there an online version??

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards