Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old August 25th, 2010, 03:00 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of the Wyvern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
Technically, the flying figure would actually land in the water, rather than hover over it. And in the case of Lava, the figure would have to roll for lava damage if it "lands" (ends its movement) on the lava space. The only flying that ever actually happens is during the movement phase of a turn.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
And to quote Cavalier, Heroscape is a game, not a simulation. For the sake of simplicity, many game mechanics defy logic and reason. I too like to try and rationalize certain aspects of the game, but I understand that the game was not designed to be rationalized.
I think I got that one covered...
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwDriver View Post
Ok, I guess if logic and card rule is in dispute... follow the card.
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:20 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker

When I first viewed the Wyvern's Talon Grab ability, I thought that it was a real game changer. But after having played a handful of times with one or two of them in an army, it doesn't seem like this figure has overly changed the game. Granted, I haven't gone up against an army that is overly reliant on Raelin, but I did recently have a battle in which one time it was definitely NOT to my advantage to talon grab, and the other time it was.

Here was the match-up.

Spiders x 2
Wyvern x 2
4th Massachusetts x 3
Drake (ROTV)
600 points

against

Mohican River Tribe x 3
Brave Heart
Axegrinders x 2
Darrak Ambershard
Migol Ironwill
Water Elemental x 1
600 points

In one instance, my first Wyvern alighted where he had height advantage against Migol. I thought about Talon Grab, but the result would be the loss of height advantage. So I kept the Wyvern there, using him and 4th Massachusetts to bring Migol down. Keeping Migol away from the high ground where he could gain the height advantage was more important.

In the second instance, after the first Wyvern had been taken down by dwarves, I had the chance to engage Darrak with the second Wyvern. He was over in one corner of the board with a couple of Dwarves and Tribesmen. I realized that his Sneak Attack power could prove detrimental. So after the initial engagement and attack (inflicting one wound or so), I disengaged, used Talon Grab, and carried him over to the other corner where the Wyvern disposed of him there away from his companions.

It wasn't a major earth shattering blow, but one of many throughout the game. In every battle there may not be the huge opportunity, but perhaps a small scale tipping point. Talon Grab can prove useful in certain situations, but not every situation.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:28 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I've found Talon Grab to be very useful. My favorite uses of it so far are:
  1. Pick up a figure and drop it so it's engaged to 3 Spiders. Then, if the Wyvern fails to kill it, you can try and Entangle it while moving and attacking with 3 different Spiders (if you want).
  2. Pick up a blocker or screen figure and move it so the Spiders can get at the important units.
  3. Pick up a figure on height and move it down
  4. Pick up a figure in Raelin's aura and drop it outside of Raelin's aura.
  5. Pick up Raelin and drop her onto a hex where a bunch of Estivara-boosted Spiders can get high ground on the same turn, and wreck her (this works for pretty much any hero, but I love killing Raelin)

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I've had fun with the Wyvern myself, dropping a Krav into engagement with a knight was fun. No Stealth Dodge for you

The Wvern tends to die pretty quickly most of the times I used it.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 29th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Looking East knows what's in an order marker Looking East knows what's in an order marker

I love the wyvern. It isn't particularly powerful but it has a very cool mechanic behind talon grab which still makes it a fave of mine. I wish I had another set of spiders to play with it.
Old October 31st, 2010, 01:41 PM

Crazybob is surprisingly tart

He's great for grabbing ranged units like (a pesky elf I know) off heighth advantage. Yesterday in a game I was playing against the Wyvern. I was planning to make short work of it with my dwarves, that was until he poisined stinged Shurrak who I was using as my (big dwarf) since he looks somewhat like a giant dwarf. My dwarves did make pretty short work of it, but it did a lot more damage to Shurrak than I thought it would. I tried a combo with the Wyvern and Shurrak. Shurrak I put on a very tall tower and the Wyvern was placed near by. When small or medium heroes came to attack I would pick them up and set them next to shurrak who would knock them off the tower resulting in death. I know that wouldn't happen at a tournament, but it was fun to do at a casual game.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:26 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Afraid I'll stick out my neck and ask a (doubtless already answered somewhere but very difficult to find) rules question.

Regarding the "empty same-level space" on which grabbed figures are deposited: same level as what? — same level as the spaces on which the Wyvern ends its turn, or same level as the space which the figure occupied before being grabbed?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:54 AM

dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Afraid I'll stick out my neck and ask a (doubtless already answered somewhere but very difficult to find) rules question.

Regarding the "empty same-level space" on which grabbed figures are deposited: same level as what? — same level as the spaces on which the Wyvern ends its turn, or same level as the space which the figure occupied before being grabbed?
Same level as the spaces on which the Wyvern ends its turn.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:09 PM

Jonny Jon is surprisingly tart

the same level rule seems stupid. If you were going to drop something from the sky, it shouldn't matter where you dropped it. I know the rationalization argument is in effect here... It just doesn't make much sense to me and really weakens the wyvern.
I bought a second one (not owning any spiders), and now realizing that (the same level rule) I wish I wouldn't have

*acquired some spiders. I no longer have to regret my $1.70 wyvern.

The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts. - William Hazlitt

Last edited by Jonny Jon; March 16th, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:32 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jon View Post
the same level rule seems stupid. If you were going to drop something from the sky, it shouldn't matter where you dropped it. I know the rationalization argument is in effect here... It just doesn't make much sense to me and really weakens the wyvern.
I bought a second one (not owning any spiders), and now realizing that (the same level rule) I wish I wouldn't have
Don't play him that way then! You'll probably want to increase his points though. Heck, do whatever you want with him and then post your new card on the site. Maybe everyone will love it and more people will play with your version of the Wyvern than the official one!

You've got to dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM

ironmyron is surprisingly tart

The thing about the same lvl rule is that it keeps the Wyvern cheep and that is what the spiders needed.

ironmyron is Jeb the Knight of Weston who has a slight herb problem...
in the
Garden of Horror....
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:17 PM

Lucky is surprisingly tart
Wink Re: The Book of the Wyvern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
They Wyvern is absolutely destroyed by the wind glyph. Not only can he not fly, but he can't use Talon Grab either. He becomes a big walking target.
I thought any character could drop any glyph at any time. And also doesn't the wind glyph say any character standing on the wind glyph can not fly. I interpreted that as it stays on the board. Does anyone else know if I'm correct on this fact because that is how we have been playing with it.

He is not just a devastating opponent, he is the bait; hence the name Master of the Hunt.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units