Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old December 1st, 2020, 08:12 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldarck View Post
Someone on french forum raised a typo on the card, in the last power, there is a typo on the second "Aldorn", it's writen "Aldon"
Crap. Good catch.

@Leaf_It , can you fix?
I've uploaded a fixed version to the server.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 09:06 AM

sandlinger Woo who?

What figures are used for the spectres?
Old December 2nd, 2020, 11:32 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Someone on french forum raised a typo on the card, in the last power, there is a typo on the second "Aldorn", it's writen "Aldon"
Crap. Good catch.

@Leaf_It , can you fix?
I've uploaded a fixed version to the server.
Ok, all fixed up.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 12:04 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I know I say it whenever I get the chance, but it's always true. I appreciate the contributions we get from the members of the French forum. It's always good stuff.

Thanks, French forum, for editing our card, which is in English!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 2nd, 2020, 12:34 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlinger View Post
The figures used for the Specters are from the Nolzur's Marvelous Unpainted Miniatures "Ghost & Banshee" and "Wraith & Specter" sets.
Old December 2nd, 2020, 01:29 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlinger View Post
The figures used for the Specters are from the Nolzur's Marvelous Unpainted Miniatures "Ghost & Banshee" and "Wraith & Specter" sets.
I would not hesitate to proxy with Phantom Knights or Shades of Bleakewoode, if you have either.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old December 7th, 2020, 09:37 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Beakface Rogue by @wriggz and @Sir Heroscape

The Beakface Rogue got a lot of positive feedback last time, but now it’s back without the Beakface Archer to support it. Can this Rogue stand on its own, or does it fall flat without the original partnered submission?

BALANCE
Balance was actually a significant concern that I ran into initially, though not for the reason that one might expect. In most of my early games, I found the Rogue to be highly underwhelming. Although it can get up to 5 attack or 5 defense, it just didn’t really gel well with its existing synergies. Neither Raptorians nor Brigands actually want to be engaged to opponents, which often made Sneak Attack very hard to take advantage of.

Throwing them an Order Marker in a Raptorian build gives up a lot of positioning freedom from Flocking, lacks the utility of the Quorik Warwitch, and 1 attack of 5 is accomplished more easily with more useful benefits by the Clawfoot Interceptor (who, to be fair, was released after the submission of this unit, so I didn’t hold it against the design). I found the Beakface Rogue to be very difficult to integrate into a full Raptorian build—it was almost always the case that either another squad of Sneaks or ponying up 25 more points for a Clawfoot Interceptor would be more worthwhile, and as a standalone filler, Flocking just wasn’t a useful enough synergy to make the Rogue significantly better than one of the other filler options that can round out the army more (at least without some tougher figures to hold down engagements). The lack of the Beakface Archer was very noticeable in this regard, as the Rogue felt more than a little out of place within the Raptorian army.

But how about the Nottingham Brigands? Well, they actually fared a fair bit better with the Rogue. Thanks to Rogue Hero Bonding, risky commitments to a single Beakface Rogue turn are unnecessary. A single Rogue or two can be a fair investment for a hefty Sneak Attack when the opponent draws near, especially when there’s a decent screen to protect the expensive Brigands. Darrak Ambershard already provides this utility with more bite for just 60 points, but the differing point structures and addition of Evasive carves out a larger niche here for the Beakface Rogues.

In that regard, I eventually found the Beakface Rogue to be balanced enough to be worth taking, and fun situations did emerge with him. It definitely takes a solid screen and even then, the figure falls on the lower end of the power curve, but it’s not like the unit will always underwhelm or never have its chance to shine, which is almost as important to me as making sure that it never dominates.

THEME
The theme here is simple but strong. The Beakface Rogue is an equal mix of HeroScape rogues and Raptorians. There are a couple of potential quibbles like the name matching the class while the Beakface Sneaks and Clawfoot Interceptor didn’t or Glide feeling less impactful as a Raptorian power than Flocking, but these are largely small nitpicks that don’t detract from the design. Overall, the theme here comes across very well and the card has a strong and memorable presence.

CREATIVITY
Even though the theme is simple, I think that the design is creative. The blend of Raptorians and rogues is unique, and the choice of pairing Sneak Attack with Evasive is inspired even if it does not always lend itself to great gameplay. The design feels like a simple, classic sort of thing that we might’ve seen, and the reuse of existing powers to create something new and still so flavorful is very creative.

PLAYABILITY
As I alluded to earlier, the Beakface Rogue is actually somewhat difficult to squeeze into Raptorian builds. Even in Rogue builds, Darrak Ambershard offers similar utility, so the usefulness of these Rogues is limited. That said, not every unit needs to be super competitive or highly efficient to be fun, and I think that the Beakface Rogue emphasizes that fact quite well. Even if there are generally better ways to spend your points in each army, it is possible to build something around these guys and have a good time. Despite the fact that they aren’t going to change the meta or aren’t likely to find a consistent role within Raptorian builds, they’re simple, thematic, and fun, and they can easily find more use in a variety of formats that take advantage of their unique strengths.

There’s also always the possibility of future Raptorians emerging to take a greater advantage of the Rogues' unique strengths, which could give them a stronger niche in Raptorian builds. That said, they don’t need it to be fun, and they’re still a strong addition to the canon of the game as it stands right now.

SUMMARY
Despite a shaky beginning where the Beakface Rogue struggled to find its footing without its original partner, the design has proven itself a fun addition to Nottingham Brigand builds, and it has the potential to grow further as the Raptorians expand. Add that on top of a wonderfully strong theme, and it’s my pleasure to vote YEA to induct the Beakface Rogue into the Soldiers of Valhalla.
Old December 7th, 2020, 10:23 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

The Beakface Rogue has received 4 Yea votes to induct (Scytale, superfrog, capsocrates, and Astroking112) and moves forward in the process.
Old December 21st, 2020, 11:58 AM

Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker

Posted in wrong location. Apologies.

Last edited by Myth26; December 21st, 2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old December 21st, 2020, 03:05 PM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

That reminds me. I never showed pics of those Dungeon Crawler flags. It's only BEEN A YEAR... Will get on it!
Old January 7th, 2021, 01:50 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would like to make an application for my custom skeletal commander, Tatomb.

TATOMB

The miniature used for Tatomb is Karrnathi Skeleton 2/44 from the Icons of the Realms: Eberron: Rising From the Last War D&D set.

BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

BALANCE
Spoiler Alert!

THEME
Spoiler Alert!

CREATIVITY
Spoiler Alert!

PLAYABILITY
Spoiler Alert!

AVAILABILITY
  • Availability currently looks good, if it goes down there is an alternate Karrnathi skeleton holding 2 axes instead of swords that is the same in terms of armor, similar pose and identical size. The current figure I'm using sits at around 2-3$:
    • Auggie's - 5
    • Coolstuff Inc - 8
    • Troll & Toad - 4
    • Over the Brick - 6
    • Ebay - 56 (First page sellers of singles not group, those with 10+ only counted as 10 in this count)
      Total = 79+

This figure is pretty common and not hard to get, with about 20 being in the 2-3$ range and the others being 3-5$

Let me know any feedback and any typos that I have on this post, thanks for looking.
Old January 7th, 2021, 07:53 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Undead Warden.
Me likey.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs