Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV
TV Not Heroscape-related.

Old September 24th, 2010, 05:10 PM

chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun chas is a penguin with a machine gun
Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda (2000-2005)

"He's tall, like some Greek God!"
--Seamus Harper, describing Kevin Sorbo's character with an 'in' Hercules joke in the pilot episode

A very good Sci-Fi TV series was Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, which ran for 5 seasons in syndication in 2000-2005. Although not as good as my favorite shows (Star Trek OS, B5, Farscape and Firefly), I'd rate it just below them, say at A-. If you're looking for a DVD set to watch, consider it. There is a very good wikipedia page on Andromeda, if you want to get up to speed on the show.

Roddenberry went through the mill to get his ideas up on the screen. When he was a motorcycle cop to feed his family, he'd ride it into restaurants to give a script to a producer (that got their attention). By the time I saw him speak in the mid Seventies he was pretty cynical about the entertainment industry, although he still brought a fun ST blooper reel for us to watch--such things were not available to the public in those days. He left behind a number of projects which were made as pilots that didn't get green lighted for further shows, several of which used this series' name for its hero: Dylan Hunt. Earth Final Conflict was the first non Star Trek one that was made, but it lost focus early on when they changed the lead character.

Andromeda has a beginning (the two hour pilot), a middle, and an end. While it strays sometimes from the main arc into episodic adventures, it comes back to deliver the promise of its early days, and ends on a satisfactory note. It is not mindlessly optimistic, but has lovable main characters, scheming evil ones, and an interesting Universe to play in, with very nasty races called The Neitzcheians (genetically altered "Ubers") and The Magog (you really don't want to know--they spit acid and lay their eggs in you).

I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions. The series was shown so erratically by Channel 11 that it drove me crazy, and I never did manage to see some of the best episodes, even when it was rerun on SYFY. My most difficult project was to collect all the DVDs, which I finally have. I'm now rewatching them in the proper order for the first time (its a long story), and enjoying them quite a bit.
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Jandars_Hope is surprisingly tart
Re: Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda (2000-2005)

I have the first 4 seasons on dvd and think the show on a whole was rather good, but what I saw of season 5 (most, but not all of the episodes) didn't strike much interest for me. They spent most of that season on that planet which just seemed boring, in my opinion.

I'd give it a B/B+

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > TV