Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 9th, 2020, 07:17 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

I've never played Spartacus, because of the theme. But a person who I respect recently rated it on BGG as the best of Gale Force Nine games by Sean Sweigart (who passed away)--even over Firefly and Star Wars Ascendancy, both of which I love.

I'd try it if anyone I knew proposed it for the table. After all, I did get through the gory and decadent TV show and its sequel!
Old February 9th, 2020, 08:25 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I have all the games you listed there and I would also rank Spartacus as the top one.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 10th, 2020, 10:30 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I have all the games you listed there and I would also rank Spartacus as the top one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
My buddy Dave's favorite game, he loves thematic games and it's just the one he has loved since it came out.

He and I played other things this last Saturday though, a variety of co-operative games. Started out trying the Space Marine Adventures. We lost our first play through because we didn't think the Necrons would get so many turns in a row. He thought it was okay but was hoping for some more dungeon crawl like structure. There are advanced rules and some fan made advanced advanced rules that would likely suffice for that desire I'll have to try out.

We also played Street Masters which was a good adventure/scenario game that has a feel of a arcade side scroller game. Each character has powers with a card deck similar to Sentinels of the Multiverse but there's a board and simple actions to be done.

Then played some Samurai Spirit. It's definitely simpler than Ghost Stories but has a similar feel and plays quick. Nice filler for up to 7 players.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old February 10th, 2020, 11:05 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
A friend just gifted me his copy of Merchants and Marauders! He played it once and didn't like it, so much so that he says he'll never play it again. He got it from a pal of his who also didn't care for it. Its a story telling game rather than a strategy game, and not every one is up for that. Still, on BGG, many swear its the best pirate game out there!
It's definitely a strategy game. Lots of random elements, like Heroscape, but the best strategy wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 11th, 2020, 11:29 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played list of late:

Abomination (Dark theme, but I love it)
Feast for Odin
Black Rose Wars
Barrage
Res Arcana with expansion (not sure how I feel about the expansion)
Marvel Champions (preparing for Wrecking Crew)
Marvel Crisis Protocol
Lords of Hellas (surprisingly good)
Robo Rally (still one of my favorites because of the chaos)
Tainted Grail
Old February 13th, 2020, 11:10 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Had a great first game of Risk Europe yesterday. Three of us got into a virgin copy, punching out and unbagging components, and were just enchanted by it! I'm working to find my own copy now, while making do with a loaner. The only Risk I still keep is Risk 2210, but this one will join it on my shelves.

Also brought home a gift copy yesterday of a third hand Merchants & Marauders. Its just been reprinted if you want to buy a new copy!

Last edited by chas; February 13th, 2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old February 13th, 2020, 04:35 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Had a great first game of Risk Europe yesterday. Three of us got into a virgin copy, punching out and unbagging components, and were just enchanted by it!
I'm working to find my own copy now, while making do with a loaner. The only Risk I still keep is Risk 2210, but this one will join it on my shelves.

Also brought home a gift copy yesterday of a third hand Merchants & Marauders. Its just been reprinted if you want to buy a new copy!
Saw you message on BGG too. I like this game but haven't played in awhile or very often. When I do play I use my Slight rule changes for a smoother, more balanced game. Includes 2/3/5/6 player variants.

A friend has 2210 AD and we play that sometimes, and the only other version I have is Star Wars RISK, but have only played once and I think it needs multiple plays to enjoy (I need to be Dark Side Empire).
Old February 16th, 2020, 06:09 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played On Mars yesterday. Really interesting game. Tons to think about like all Lacerda games.

Played Nations today. Can’t believe I am just getting around to playing it. I have owned it for 6 or so years, but forgot about it until someone mentioned it in a forum about a different game. Pretty fun for a civ game and played 2 player in just over an hour and a half including setup and tear down and referring to the rulebook. I need the expansion which is oop. (Wallet creaks open)

Last edited by Gurei-Ornery; February 18th, 2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old February 17th, 2020, 03:40 AM

Had a truly epic Breakthrough format game of Memoir 44, using the new fan created Korean War expansion after solitairing through all 18 of its scenarios, and having the designer address the FAQ I did for it on BGG.

This was on the most famous battle of that war Chosin Reservoir. After two games where the Americans lost, and I thought it impossible for them to win, this battle ended 12 to 12 with a totally unexpected American victory. On the final turn I as the Chinese should have taken an ungarrisoned town to win with the Behind Enemy Lines card, but I got Ambushed and wiped out!

Since the game required 12 VPs, one of which had to be one of the two victory towns, I saw the American player take his 12th VP to win, while I had the 12 VP but not the town. At the end of his desperate struggle, my opponent had a mere four units with six figures left on the board! It was an amazing performance he made by sticking with an almost hopeless situation, and I bought him dinner and a beer afterwards for it!

Meanwhile, another pal won a bid for me on eBay for a copy of Risk Europe, a very fun game. I've got both it and Merchants and Marauders on my March "Retro Game Month" schedule. M&M has just been reprinted, and I may soon also get Seas of Glory, its only expansion, which should be reprinted soon. I'll be running it for the first time next week. And next month's game dates will also include Blood Rage (with "new" original player animal clan counters for their player boards and three new monsters just released on Kickstarter.

And on the schedule for next month is also Alien Frontiers, for which will be delivered the new Factions Definitive Edition by crowd funding in March. This will include 14 small expansions and a brand new one. AF was the very first board game design ever offered years ago on something brand new called "Kickstarter!" Wonder how that will work out...
Old February 18th, 2020, 12:16 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
And on the schedule for next month is also Alien Frontiers, for which will be delivered the new Factions Definitive Edition by crowd funding in March. This will include 14 small expansions and a brand new one. AF was the very first board game design ever offered years ago on something brand new called "Kickstarter!" Wonder how that will work out...
It was the first game I backed on Kickstarter as well! And I backed the Definitive Edition as well.
Old February 18th, 2020, 10:43 AM

MS,

Wow, cool! I've actually only played Alien Frontiers a few times, since I came to it late. I picked it up from the game store where I was attending an annual Islandscapers mini-Con a couple of years ago, as a support purchase to the store, which had just relocated to a new space. I got the large expansion Outer Belt from Amazon.com soon after, as the others were not available, and think it really improves the game. I still haven't gotten any of the small expansions yet, so the new KS really came along for me at the right time. It will both expand the possible number of players, and, like Outer Belt, make the game work better with more players.

Both provide more docking port options, so that the main complaint with the core game, that there is too limited an opportunity for actions when other players grab the best spots, will no longer apply, or at least not as much. I've never played it with more than three, but hope to do so soon, as it should then be a better game.

Have you played with any of the expansions? If so, what do you think of them?
Old February 27th, 2020, 04:07 PM

Just played a first game of Spheres of Influence: The Struggle For World Domination, (Little Nuke Games, 2-8 Players, 90 min.) which is a Risk type evolution Kickstarted in 2015 by a small company, rather than published by Hasbro. This game to me was an undiscovered gem, with rave reviews and a general BGG rating of 8.0. We had a great time with it yesterday night!

I mention it because besides being great, its being Kickstarted in March for a Second Edition with an Expansion. Check it out! Besides BGG, the original offering is still up on the KS site.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games