Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old September 2nd, 2020, 11:43 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Utah Monthlies 2020

UTAH MONTHLY SEPTEMBER 2020

When: September 26th, 1:00-5:00 PM

Cost: $5 (100% of entree fees go to prize support!!)

Format: Glyph Push
It's a @Leaf_It original! (With some great input from others after the August Monthly -- thanks BodaciousBlood, UtahScott, Jazack, and Treven!) This format is like Capture the Flag, except instead of getting a glyph and bringing it back to your start zone, there will be a glyph in the middle of the map and you try to take it to your opponent's start zone. Any figure, including squads, can move the glyph in order to get the win, but there's a catch! It's radioactive, so figures on the glyph are weakened and might take damage! Read the powerset below for details (I'll be making a card soon to put at tables on game day):

Glyph of Radioactive Win Condition
Figures do not have to stop their movement when moving onto the Glyph of Radioactive Win Condition. Any figure that is standing on the Glyph of Radioactive Win Condition is considered negated. (If a squad figure is standing on the Glyph of Radioactive Win Condition, only that figure is negated. It may still be activated alongside other squad members when an Order Marker on their Army Card is revealed, but can never use or participate in any Special Powers on their card.) After moving with a figure that started its turn on the Glyph of Radioactive Win Condition, if the figure ended its movement on an empty space, you may place the Glyph of Radioactive Win Condition underneath that figure.

If a figure ends its turn in the opposing player's start zone and on the Glyph of Radioactive Win Condition, that figure's controlling player wins the game.
  • 495 Point Armies
  • 18 Figure Limit
  • C3V & SoV allowed, Official Marvel allowed
  • Power Glyphs: Unique Attack +1, Move +2, Initiative +8, D20 +1, Wound, Healer
  • Treasure Glyphs: Elixir of Speed, Belt of Giant Strength, Ring of Protection, Scarab of Invulnerability, Brooch of Shielding
  • Four 50-minute Rounds

Raffle: Imagining Dragons
Keep track of how many wounds your figures take while they're standing on the Glyph of Radioactive Win Condition. If you take the most wounds while on it over the course of the tournament, you'll get a bonus prize!

Maps:
Spoiler Alert!

Standings:
Spoiler Alert!

PLEASE BE SURE TO RSVP so we can be sure to accommodate maps, prizes, etc. for all attendees. Also, with COVID restrictions, it's required now anyway.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; September 29th, 2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2020, 11:09 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Hmm...

Honestly just bringing a strong army for this will be the best option and avoid the flag outright. That’s a lot of negatives enacted on the one trying to move the “flag”
- move minis 2
- figure negated
- figure has to start on the glyph
- figure has a 40% chance of being wounded when dropping it for the win or to transfer to another figure

The conditions DO try to account for OP heroes and squads that could abuse the format, but in so doing...I fear it’ll just be easier to play the game normal and win based off of a normal condition. I.e if my opponent tries to take the glyph with Cyprien, I have no need to fear. If he tries to take it with a speedy Viper or Spider, that viper or spider could die and then they would have to wait 2 full turns to move the glyph again (cause a figure has to start on the glyph to love it)

Might need some more tweaking to incentivize people to go for the flag win condition.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old September 3rd, 2020, 12:04 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Hmm...

Honestly just bringing a strong army for this will be the best option and avoid the flag outright. That’s a lot of negatives enacted on the one trying to move the “flag”
- move minis 2
- figure negated
- figure has to start on the glyph
- figure has a 40% chance of being wounded when dropping it for the win or to transfer to another figure

The conditions DO try to account for OP heroes and squads that could abuse the format, but in so doing...I fear it’ll just be easier to play the game normal and win based off of a normal condition. I.e if my opponent tries to take the glyph with Cyprien, I have no need to fear. If he tries to take it with a speedy Viper or Spider, that viper or spider could die and then they would have to wait 2 full turns to move the glyph again (cause a figure has to start on the glyph to love it)

Might need some more tweaking to incentivize people to go for the flag win condition.
Well said Sir H. I was in fact thinking pretty much on the exact same page as you reguarding the format details. It would be worth just playing the game normally killing the enemy figures and then just running the glyph to their startzone.

If you negate the figure on the glyph that reduces them from flying or teleporting and such. (Unless it is an elf being summoned by emiroon or any figure being summoned by saelind.) and reduce their move some, you may not have to add the other negative effects. Id also add that the character that is taking the glyph may not be affected by other figures abilities. Kind of like a null zone free of any magic, etc. Just my two pennies. Ill most likely not make it down but do enjoy fun variants to change up the game so to speak.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 3rd, 2020, 01:04 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

The whole negation piece is to keep the Cyprien's, Saylind's, Theracus and Nicholas' from breaking the format...so I get that...BUT that also means it's going to be a lot "easier" for just solid A level armies to dominate for format. For example, If I bring Nilf and Greenies...I can just destroy my opponent rather than go for the win condition...BUT if I bring Nilf and Greenies and my opponent brings Cyprien and the negation factor isn't a thing...then all of a sudden the Nilf army isn't OP cause now I have to change the way I play.

I think these formats should encourage bringing the Saylinds, Cypriens etc rather than discourage them. To keep them in check though, you could keep the movement hindrance and even the wound...but the negation of the figure just seems unfun.

removing the negation factor would also encourage bringing "counter" armies...that is...If I Know Cyprien could be a legitimate pick for the format, then maybe I'll bring Blasts and Glads. As it stands now though, someone could also just go Rat spam and range and just lock up the board so that the figure with the glyph could literally never reach the startzone (because negation and slower move).

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old September 3rd, 2020, 06:15 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Take my opinion for what it's worth. I'm not trying to shoot down a cool idea.

It might be really good to reduce some of the negatives, but increase the number of times you can take the glyph to the opponent's start zone. This could work with smaller maps I think. The glyph could be reset to its starting position at the end of the round. You could also assign a point value to bringing the object to the opponent's start zone so that there is more of an incentive to do so. So, you score points by killing opponents figures based on their point values, but also like 150 points for taking the glyph into the opponent's start zone.

I dunno. That's just me spitballing ideas.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old September 4th, 2020, 11:29 PM

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

h8rz gonna h8...

Kidding! Thanks so much for your input, guys! We've been discussing the suggestions a bunch and are still planning on testing some this weekend to see where things lie and how we want to adjust. Which means that some stuff is up in the air, but I did want to share a couple things that have come up from the discussion to shed some light on what we're thinking.

I think the main area where opinions are missing each other here is the nature of the alternative win condition. We aren't really looking to promote a "fast" win condition, but rather a long-term win condition. We're hoping to hit that balance between needing to play to an objective without polarizing it to being able to ignore everything else. It's a lot like the Crystal format we just did -- the crystal is strong enough that banking on an early snipe or building your army around just killing a crystal becomes putting all of your eggs in one basket and can be very punishing. Rather, if you're losing the normal army v army game, it gives you another way to win, so you're never truly out of the game. And in the same vein, if you're winning the normal army v army game, going for the crystal becomes a risk that could backfire. It's adding a decision point to the game to make it more skill-testing.

We don't want it to be a fast win condition because of how limiting that becomes. Yes, it encourages those wild Cyprien/Nicholas/Saylind builds that you don't see as often, but that also means it's an initiative gamble. Roll initiative, whoever wins wins the game, and that's not fun for either player. Sure, you can counter that meta with Gladiatrons, but that's the only counter, which makes a very limiting format. We're hoping to encourage a wider meta than that.

We are looking at decreasing the negatives for sure, though. We're also looking at adjusting how moving with the glyph works (have to start on the glyph v picking it up while moving, full negation vs restricted powers, etc.). We really like the glyphs=points angle, but that feels like a more different format that we'd have to readjust almost the whole approach to, so we're keeping it in mind for the future. We're also looking at examples of maps we'll likely use, as the map size and type has a larger impact on how this format balances out than usual. Again, a lot will hinge on how we feel after running a couple of games.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts! Hopefully this doesn't come across as a cop out -- just looking at where the difference in perspectives are coming from (because I'm a nerd like that).

Quote:
(cause a figure has to start on the glyph to love it).
Fear not! We have no restrictions on love here! Feel free to love your glyph whenever and wherever you want!

10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old September 5th, 2020, 11:14 AM

Okay that explanation does help. If that’s the case where you’re a adding another win condition and not making it the focal point of the format, I think allowing units to pick up the glyph WHILE moving would really help. Movement is already -2 so having a second move restriction would make it really hard to play with.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old September 8th, 2020, 11:04 PM

We've posted the updates! For those who saw the beta version, here are the changes that were made:

Figures are still negated on the glyph and also still have to start on the glyph to move it, BUT
No move reduction
No wound roll
Figure limit from 24 -> 18

Removing the move reduction and wound roll got rid of a lot of the frustration that could come up while moving the glyph -- it's easier to be able to move a full movement, especially when trying to get over/around bumps in a map. We started by lowering the odds for the wound to trigger, but at that point it became too swingy -- if the wound was taken, it felt more due to an unlucky streak than a consistent effect to be planned around. Also, rolling for the wound is easily forgotten, so we felt that just removing it entirely was the best route.

In the games I got in over the weekend, this format quickly became one of my favorites. It makes you capitalize on development, map awareness, and target selection. It's suuuper skill testing in those areas. It can be apparent early on which army is stronger or weaker in a straight up fight, but the format is awesome because it puts a very real win condition within reach of the army that would usually be at a disadvantage. Both players need to be paying attention to paths to victory. The defending player usually has map/figure/position advantage, but has to give some of that up in choosing to attack targets they usually wouldn't want to in order to deny the glyph from being carried for the win. The one thing I didn't like in my tests was that most armies want to fill the start zone as much as possible in order to have more figures to block or carry with, so 18 figures puts more emphasis on maximizing your odds by choosing stronger/better figures over spammy figures.

10 Points Under Videos

Old September 9th, 2020, 12:53 PM

is the position of the central glyph going to be identified on each map that is chosen for this format?

Also, you're post above and the OP I think are contradicting. The OP says you don't have to stop movement on the glyph to pick it up...but the post above says you do.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old September 9th, 2020, 02:31 PM
I'm Feeling Inspired To Play Some Gladiators

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
is the position of the central glyph going to be identified on each map that is chosen for this format?
Yes. It will be identified on the map.
Old September 9th, 2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Also, you're post above and the OP I think are contradicting. The OP says you don't have to stop movement on the glyph to pick it up...but the post above says you do.
So I tried to clarify a thing and it made it more confusing. My bad, I'll work on fixing it.

So the OP is correct, but it says that you don't have stop movement when moving onto the glyph. Meaning that since we're essentially treating the glyph as a Power Glyph, it will not stop movement like Power Glyphs usually do. This wasn't really a question that had come up, but all of us were assuming such was the case anyway. I just put in that clause at the beginning just in case anyone else was wondering as they read over it.

It does still say that a figure must start on the glyph to move it, so that part is still correct. I'll work on rewording the first sentence to make it less confusing. Maybe I'll just switch the format to bullet points instead of the text block.

10 Points Under Videos

Old September 18th, 2020, 06:03 PM

Maps?

Also are there really only 2 attendees so far?

I’m planning on coming down with +2 maybes (need to confirm still)

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events