Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old November 21st, 2017, 05:49 AM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker
What makes a good Heat of Battle map?

I wanted to give a go at map making after not playing or designing maps for ages, and thought I'd start by putting some Heat of Battle maps on the table so I can try and get in some ad-hoc games if a friend comes around and we want to get some quick games in.

I've read lots of threads and general observations about standard map design, but not a lot on designing Heat of Battle maps. So a question to the veterans here; what makes a good Heat of Battle map in your experience? I'm sure there are some 'standard' maps that are also good for heat of battle, but I'd like to think you could design specifically with heat of battle in mind and come up with something interesting you just couldn't possibly see for regular play.

For reference, in my example I tried to a fair bit of height with lava fields, with an overhang that figures can hide under which I assume would be atrocious for normal play. I haven't been able to play it to test it yet though.
Old November 21st, 2017, 06:15 AM
The Real Zombieland

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: What makes a good Heat of Battle map?

I haven't ever tried to make a Heat of Battle specific map, but I assume you should follow a lot of the same rules any normal map would, you just don't have to worry about symmetry, or start zones. As long as melee armies can develop from good defensive position to good defensive position without being too powerful, and range isn't given too much of an advantage in any good pod locations, you could make some pretty interesting maps. Just design maps around the idea of a battle that's already started, instead of a battle that's about to start.

Overhangs are fine as long as they can be attacked from non-overhang positions. They are only a real problem when range can hide in them, and taller melee can't ever reach them, because of how deep the overhang is. Just don't make them too deep, or have too many of the them, and it should be fine.
Old November 21st, 2017, 01:05 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What makes a good Heat of Battle map?

I've never actually played a Heat of the Battle game, but I've got to imagine that it would actually be the easiest map type to design for. Many balance factors in a standard map account for making sure all units can reasonably get here and there. With initial unit placement being wide open in HotB, it eases that requirement. You'd still want to be cognizant of those things, but unit placement should be fairly autobalancing.

Again, I'm just speaking theoretically here...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios