Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old May 28th, 2021, 10:47 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Engineers of Valhalla Workshop Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
I've experimented with different teleportation hexes, and I think it's a good idea to discuss size and logistics. The current proposal, for me, seems to have its form and function working in two different directions. The gameplay is that any figure (of any size) standing on any of the six adjacent hexes can go through the portal; this suggests that one need merely touch the object, or be within close proximity to it. However, the physical design of the piece suggests that characters must step through it in a direction perpendicular to the ring. (This of course also brings up the fact that Heroscape has a rule that figures cannot go where they cannot fit.)

I would suggest choosing which is more important (form or function), and adjusting the other to work with it.
  • If the touch-from-any-adjacent-space gameplay is most important, then I would look for a different physical object which is more like an obelisk, a control panel, a magic pool, a swirly misty thingy, etc.

• If the go-through-a-portal theme is most important, then I would brainstorm gameplay options that deal with walking through the portal from an appropriate side/direction, make sure the physical object makes that direction clear, and deal with the implications of the rule about figures fitting into the spaces they travel through.
In fact, there could eventually be two different kinds of portals with different mechanisms, in which case it's even more important that each one works like its physical presentation suggests it works.
I’m mainly focused on two things here. Gameplay, and not over complicating the piece of terrain. I’m sure as the thingiverse photo does not show it on a hex. I will post the updated, assembled one on a hex. I orient the portal facing a flat side of the hexagon. All three sides on the front easily face the front entrance, while all three sides on the back face the rear entrance to the portal. The corner part of the hex space is where the portal rings line up. It doesn’t look or feel weird on the board. I’ve literally made dozens of these portals for fellow scapers already. As far as figures going where they can fit, no figure will ever stop on top of a portal space. Besides the topics I addressed above, I can’t see any problems with this. Do you have any reservations about the design itself? I figured this one would be a pretty sweet and simple one If I’m being honest. Jumping through a portal from point A to point B using an adjacent space to another portals empty adjacent space, doesn’t get any simpler than that. I’ve thought of other scenarios with gun turrets facing the correct direction in which I’d say those could simply be rotated as part of the function. Most of the terrain pieces could simply be represented by a penny if they aren’t destructible with hit zones or have a part of them draw line of sight. I wouldn’t want to over complicate things when unnecessary.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 28th, 2021, 10:48 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

When I have a chance I’ll get a picture of an assembled portal on a hex board so you guys can easily see that it works.

Old May 29th, 2021, 12:49 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

I guess I thought (hoped) the idea would be to discuss pros and cons and bring up any issues with form and/or function in order to shepherd designs through a refinement process — not unlike what happens in C3V and SoV. It sounds like your preference is to not really worry so much about form and try to get some functional pieces knocked out quickly, maybe relying more heavily on the author's preferences and less on a consensus process. I guess that can work too, but in that case I'm not sure why it needs a formalized process. Each designer can just post what their design is, somebody can add it to the list, and then the process can move on to the next one.

For me personally, I would want my own designs to go through the gauntlet of criticism and discussion. Usually we're all too close to our own creations to be truly objective about them.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old May 29th, 2021, 01:28 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
I guess I thought (hoped) the idea would be to discuss pros and cons and bring up any issues with form and/or function in order to shepherd designs through a refinement process — not unlike what happens in C3V and SoV. It sounds like your preference is to not really worry so much about form and try to get some functional pieces knocked out quickly, maybe relying more heavily on the author's preferences and less on a consensus process. I guess that can work too, but in that case I'm not sure why it needs a formalized process. Each designer can just post what their design is, somebody can add it to the list, and then the process can move on to the next one.

For me personally, I would want my own designs to go through the gauntlet of criticism and discussion. Usually we're all too close to our own creations to be truly objective about them.
The rules aren’t set fully as of yet. I was hoping an additional person would set those up in one of the threads. If you guys want all the pieces to go through a longer and drawn out process I’m okay with that. That wasn’t the vision I had for the project, but if the majority want it to go that way that is the reason teams are formed, to get a general consensus. I’ll let you guys figure out what goals the team wants to do, and at the very least I’ll have provided a cool logo for you guys to use if it’s not going to work out for me.

Edit: I’ve come again to a realization that team projects aren’t for me. It looks like you guys will still have a decent sized team and a great basis to get the project rolling. Go ahead a finish figuring out what you would like your process to be. There is a big demand for new terrain in scape and there is definitely a place for a group like this. Have a moderator or admin transfer the thread control to someone else interested in running them.

Last edited by TREX; May 29th, 2021 at 02:12 AM.
Old June 4th, 2021, 01:56 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

So did I overstep, or did I misunderstand the nature of the workshop?

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old June 4th, 2021, 03:54 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I think you are in charge now.
Old June 5th, 2021, 01:27 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Would seem so.
Old June 9th, 2021, 11:54 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think in the thread launching EoV (love the logo by the way @TREX ) we talked about a two phase system. The first was a workshop where we would collaboratively work on ideas, and the second phase was a review process (an engineering review board) for all designs (both those from the EoV member community, and those from individual creators). This would be a parallel to C3V as the workshop, and SoV as the review board. I think we still need to come into agreement on the process for this, but outlining that is in my agenda.

I appreciate that TREX recognizes the best way he works, and appreciate all the enthusiasm he has which has helped launch this initiative. I think an arcane portal is a great idea for some of the reasons mentioned above (being able to use heights of 10+ without flying figures, or even isolated parts of maps - imagine a glyph enclosed with LOS blockers only accessible via portal!), and hope that we can review as part of a more fleshed out review process so we can bring things like it to the masses.
Old June 10th, 2021, 01:54 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Sorry for the double post, but I would also be okay with being the owner/organizer for these threads. I was just on vacation, so haven't weighed in as much since I left 5/26 but I remain very interested.

Here's my understanding of current "Ideas".

-Hedrons (see here, planning on making official EoV thread for this)
-Trex's Arcane Portal (maybe this is outside the Workshop? Let's flesh out the EoV plans)
-Just_A_Bill's AotP tiles to be desert/quicksand (see here and here)
-Muskie's Obelisk (see here)
-S1R_A's Misc Ideas (see here for booster hexes, LOS (but not movement) blockers, and "inspirational" objects in the vein of jungle pieces)
Old June 10th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

If you can post a list of threads you want to take over in response to me here and then put up a throwaway post in each of the threads, I'd be happy to give you control of them.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old June 10th, 2021, 10:02 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
I think in the thread launching EoV (love the logo by the way @TREX ) we talked about a two phase system. The first was a workshop where we would collaboratively work on ideas, and the second phase was a review process (an engineering review board) for all designs (both those from the EoV member community, and those from individual creators). This would be a parallel to C3V as the workshop, and SoV as the review board. I think we still need to come into agreement on the process for this, but outlining that is in my agenda.

I appreciate that TREX recognizes the best way he works, and appreciate all the enthusiasm he has which has helped launch this initiative. I think an arcane portal is a great idea for some of the reasons mentioned above (being able to use heights of 10+ without flying figures, or even isolated parts of maps - imagine a glyph enclosed with LOS blockers only accessible via portal!), and hope that we can review as part of a more fleshed out review process so we can bring things like it to the masses.
That would be great if you took over the threads. If the project isn’t going to be in the scope I wanted it to be, I’d rather it go on in the direction you guys want to take it without me. Thanks for stepping up to the task and good luck with the project. Hopefully you will have fun with it.

Old June 11th, 2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
-Just_A_Bill's AotP tiles to be desert/quicksand
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but that project is intended to be a full-blown desert-themed expansion set with terrain tiles, non-destructible objects, interactive terrain features, and possibly destructible objects. It's based on AotP terrain plus .STL files that I am developing to work with the terrain in a modular way.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles