Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Notices

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:52 PM

SVD997 knows what's in an order marker SVD997 knows what's in an order marker
What kind of repper are you?

With the new rep system we have, I thought it would be interesting to put the different types of 'reppers' into a thread. I have arranged the different types I can think of into alphabetical order. If you can think of more (which I'm sure you guys can, you're all smart), I will update the list.

Brown-Noser- This is an evil repper. This person hands out rep, only to try to get more rep for themselves. They are in an imaginary race with themselves to try to collect the most rep without realizing that it really doesn't matter. They could be nice about their rep, subtly drawing their target to them. Most people won't fall for it, but some will. Some BN's (brown-nosers) may even be good people, they just have their intentions in the wrong place.

Casual- This person reads the forums quite regularly, and gives out rep anytime a post/member stands out. This is probably the most common repper. They see a post/member who deserves rep for whatever reason, and they give out rep without deep thought. They find their rep valuable, but they don't hoard it.

Fun- This person gives rep when it is fun to do so, sometimes for a single excellent post, sometimes for a funny remark, sometimes to reward an outstanding effort or contribution to the site, sometimes to comfort the wounded (i.e., pity-rep), sometimes just to say, "Hi!" to someone.

Free Spirit- This person gives out rep without thought or care. In fact, they may not even read the post that they give rep to, just leave rep, and a goofy comment. I don't think there are to many of those around, but they do lurk around...

Invisible- This person prefers to remain completely anonymous. They leave you rep, and don't sign their name, or message you. This will leave you wondering who left you rep, and why they left it for you. The invisibles may just do it to get into your head. Better put on your tinfoil hat...

Miser- This person rarely hands out rep. It could be simple oversight, or maybe they feel that no one deserves their praise. It could also be that they have no rep power, and feel that they don't have the right to hand out rep yet. Whatever the reason, they deprive the rest of the community of its well-deserved praise.

Private- This person will sign their name, or message you, but that's as far as it goes. They won't discuss publicly who they gave rep too, but they may tell a few close friends. They treat it very personally, and take pride in keeping it between them, and the person they repped.

Public- This person will tell everyone about the rep they distribute. They will post in the forums about who they repped and why. They are not always ego-maniacs, perhaps they just wish everyone to know that they really appreciated the post. They're also encouraging others to rep up the person also.

Thinker- This person puts a lot of thought and effort into every rep given. They pore over every post that might be worthy of their rep. It doesn't matter if this person has no rep power (new member and/or non-site supporter) or if they have massive rep power (rev, admins, etc), they still consider each and every rep like it's a valuable gold nugget.

Trophy- This is a person who gives out their rep as a prize. Perhaps for a forum game, or for accomplishing a task. This is well earned rep, and is worn as a badge of honor by those that receive it. It is not given out lightly, nor should it be.

As you can see, you can be more than one kind of repper. It may depend on the day or your mood, but whatever you are, be a good repper.
------------------
This is not an exhaustive list (not yet anyway), I was just thinking about this today, and thought it would be fun to get your guys input.

Thanks to Rev for Fun Repper and scorpiusx for Trophy.

NOTE: Some of these are tongue in cheek, and are not meant to belittle any particular member in any way.

Last edited by SVD997; May 31st, 2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added Trophy
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Forums Good I Has

J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker
Re: What kind of repper are you?

rev, admins, etc.

That should be his title.

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Casual!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

I'm probably a miser... to date, I've probably only given out 10 reps. Out of those, the ones that WEREN'T retroactive (like, when I repped most of the people involved in the Books of Heroscape) are few and far between.

I guess I'm just not in-tune to the whole system yet... I can't connect "Wow, that was a good post!" and "Wow, that deserves some rep!" yet.

BUT I SHALL SOMEDAY!

*runs into the woods for intense physical and mental training*
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:10 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
I'm probably a miser... to date, I've probably only given out 10 reps. Out of those, the ones that WEREN'T retroactive (like, when I repped most of the people involved in the Books of Heroscape) are few and far between.

I guess I'm just not in-tune to the whole system yet... I can't connect "Wow, that was a good post!" and "Wow, that deserves some rep!" yet.

BUT I SHALL SOMEDAY!

Ditto. Of course, your rep is a bit more powerful than mine, what with those gajillion posts you have.

EDIT: Let me add to the discussion here. I tend to only give rep to thread starters. I need to get out of that habit, I know. I want to spread the love as widely as possible.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagyuninja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post

BUT I SHALL SOMEDAY!

Ditto. Of course, your rep is a bit more powerful than mine, what with those gajillion posts you have.
Than I'm considered lucky!

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Forums Good I Has

J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker

I have more then 800 posts, but no rep. Does Negative rep bring down what you can give.

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:14 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit94 View Post
I have more then 800 posts, but no rep. Does Negative rep bring down what you can give.
You must have at least 20 rep to have any rep power at all.

I was a casual, but I am slowly turning into a thinker. Curse you heroscapers.com for giving me more choices that torment my restless mind!

Please keep signatures short.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Forums Good I Has

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishBurrito View Post
Quote:

I was a casual, but I am slowly turning into a thinker. Curse you heroscapers.com for giving me more choices that torment my restless mind!
I guess I'll have to bring my rep up. I need to win some more tournaments.

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You got rep for just winning a Tournament, Or is it from the people you became friends with?

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or you could try contributing to the site. That ought to help.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:46 PM

aquaone is surprisingly tart

I'm somewhere between thinker and casual. I've given some rep when I've had sheer delight at what I've seen in a thread, without going over it in detail... but in general, I tend to only give rep when I see something significant.

I'm similarly cautious in giving negative rep. I tend to gloss over most things but if someone is way out of line, that's a paddlin' i give them bad rep. Generally this is for flames and personal attacks only.

edit -- by comparison it seems i'm definitely a thinker. i've given rep <20 times, total...

*insert witty catchphrase here*

Last edited by aquaone; May 29th, 2008 at 01:00 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online