Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 10th, 2021, 10:47 PM

Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 11/10/2021 - WWII Tank)

It's been a little while since I was last here. I've finally found a decent sculpt for this next custom, which helps fill the ranks of military units while occupying a thematic niche that is unusually hard to fill.

Original figure image credit goes to the HobbyLinq.com community

The model used for this unit is a Pegasus Hobbies figure from the MRC World War II Ground Armor Series set. The name of the figure is M4 MIDDLE TANK (MID)6TH A. The unit is double-spaced.

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

Comments are welcome.
Old November 14th, 2021, 01:17 AM

Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby! Blue Trails rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 11/13/2021 - WWII Tank +

Original figure image credit goes to MinisGallery.com

The model used for this unit is a D&D figure from the Icons of the Realm: Monster Menagerie 2 set. The name of the figure is Uthgardt Barbarian (either figure works).

Alternate Card:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

As always, critiques and comments are welcome.
Old November 15th, 2021, 07:13 PM

Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 11/13/2021 - Highland Cha

Angus is really strong, he definitely overshadows Alastair as the best hero to play with the MacDirks. Thematically, I don't see Mark of Sturla on the miniature. Is it a tattoo or something that I can't see in the image? I'm all for the anachronistic things that only could happen in Valhalla (Drake's Grapple Arm, Arashara's shifting sands totem, etc.) but unless it is obvious on the mini, I'm meh about it.

Mechanically, I think I found some things you may have overlooked with MARK OF STURLA.

Firstly, the card and the text version aren't the same. The text version is better so I'll address that.

Secondly there is an interaction that is problematic: Angus is made the Highland Champion. He rushes the opponent's start zone and kills as much as he can until he dies. Meanwhile the MacDirks are developing up into a good position. Angus resurrects adjacent to Marcu or Isamu back in your start zone. You now have 7 attack MacDirks with no risk of losing Angus.

Thirdly, I also don't think the last sentence works.

Quote:
For the rest of the game, if your Angus MacFergus has more Lives left than Immortality markers on his card, destroy him.
He starts with 2 markers. Dies. Comes back with 1 marker and 1 life. Dies. Comes back with 0 markers and 1 life. Is automatically destroyed because he has more lives than Immortality markers.

Is the intent that he can come back twice? Then it doesn't work. Is the intent that he only comes back once? Then it can be done more elegantly.

Last edited by Vydar_XLIII; November 16th, 2021 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old November 16th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Knox knows what's in an order marker Knox knows what's in an order marker

For a 2nd highlander hero, I would rather someone who didn't outshine Alistair. Maybe someone who can fight alongside him, or replace him when he dies. A great example would be what SchismaticSounds did with Kirvin the Wily for the Greenscale Warriors.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...47761&page=401

Vydar's right to point out that Angus' resurrection ability is way too powerful when bonded with the MacDirks.
Old November 16th, 2021, 09:46 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
Secondly there is an interaction that is problematic: Angus is made the Highland Champion. He rushes the opponent's start zone and kills as much as he can until he dies. Meanwhile the MacDirks are developing up into a good position. Angus resurrects adjacent to Marcu or Isamu back in your start zone. You now have 7 attack MacDirks with no risk of losing Angus.
Yeah, this is what I imagine a player doing with Angus, to great effect. While any help for the MacDirks would be nice, this would make for a very strong combo.

Also, the wording for Mark of Sturla relies on a player colloquialism - "Lives left" - that can present problems when used as game terminology. Raelin with four wound markers on her card does not technically have "one Life left," she is simply destroyed once a fifth wound marker is placed on her card.
Old November 17th, 2021, 09:43 PM

SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby! SchismaticSounds rolls all skulls baby!

MSG Thomas Cooper & Crew is my favorite custom here yet.
Where can you find the miniature for it?

My only qualms would be wondering if Valiant is fitting as well as the Soldier synergy. Just might require some testing.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; November 20th, 2021 at 01:44 AM.
Old November 21st, 2021, 01:36 AM

Thanks for your many responses, guys! I'll have to remember not to post here unless I know I'll have the time to reply promptly, though.

Quote:
Angus is really strong, he definitely overshadows Alastair as the best hero to play with the MacDirks. Thematically, I don't see Mark of Sturla on the miniature. Is it a tattoo or something that I can't see in the image? I'm all for the anachronistic things that only could happen in Valhalla (Drake's Grapple Arm, Arashara's shifting sands totem, etc.) but unless it is obvious on the mini, I'm meh about it.
Angus was designed to be a strong option (around B+ to A- by power ranking), but eclipsing Alistair would be an unintended and unwanted result. During testing, I had made comparisons to Morgoloth as a unit with similar survivability and wound-dealing potential, but the resurrection power is probably what complicates things.

Also, the Mark of Sturla power does reference a detail on the sculpt; it's better visible on the alternate card I posted, but the preferred mini has a similar mark. The thematic intention was for a glyph's magic to be applied as a tattoo or war paint.

Quote:
Mechanically, I think I found some things you may have overlooked with MARK OF STURLA.

Firstly, the card and the text version aren't the same. The text version is better so I'll address that.

Those are excellent observations. I don't play with self-reviving figures often, so I'm not surprised that I missed such an important dynamic. Although a strong strategy, that doesn't really fit the way I wanted Angus to play, so I'll have to retune the power.

Quote:
Thirdly, I also don't think the last sentence works.

Quote:
For the rest of the game, if your Angus MacFergus has more Lives left than Immortality markers on his card, destroy him.
He starts with 2 markers. Dies. Comes back with 1 marker and 1 life. Dies. Comes back with 0 markers and 1 life. Is automatically destroyed because he has more lives than Immortality markers.

Is the intent that he can come back twice? Then it doesn't work. Is the intent that he only comes back once? Then it can be done more elegantly.
The power is, indeed, intended to offer two revivals, and the army card is actually supposed to be the correct version:
Quote:
For the rest of the game, if your Angus MacFergus has more Lives left than Immortality markers on his card at the end of a round, destroy him.
That power's wording is still sloppier than I remembered, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
For a 2nd highlander hero, I would rather someone who didn't outshine Alistair. Maybe someone who can fight alongside him, or replace him when he dies. A great example would be what SchismaticSounds did with Kirvin the Wily for the Greenscale Warriors.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...47761&page=401

Vydar's right to point out that Angus' resurrection ability is way too powerful when bonded with the MacDirks.
That's a very cool custom; I'll have to visit SchismaticSounds's thread sometime to comment further on it. While I would like to see how someone else would make a MacDirk analogue work, though, I'm not interested in creating something like it.

In hindsight, you and Vydar are absolutely right about Mark of Sturla. I'll be sending this one back to the testing table to see what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
Quote:
Yeah, this is what I imagine a player doing with Angus, to great effect. While any help for the MacDirks would be nice, this would make for a very strong combo.

Also, the wording for Mark of Sturla relies on a player colloquialism - "Lives left" - that can present problems when used as game terminology. Raelin with four wound markers on her card does not technically have "one Life left," she is simply destroyed once a fifth wound marker is placed on her card.
Good point on the power's wording. I guess I've used "lives left" so frequently that I forgot it has no official meaning. The alternative was to say "add or remove wound markers until there are 5 wound markers on this Army Card," but the card was already fairly cluttered by that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
MSG Thomas Cooper & Crew is my favorite custom here yet.
Where can you find the miniature for it?

My only qualms would be wondering if Valiant is fitting as well as the Soldier synergy. Just might require some testing.
I'm glad you like the unit! HobbyLinc sells the model, but you should be able to find it on the website of the manufacturer, Pegasus Hobbies, as well.

My testing hadn't found any objectionable interactions with either the 4th Mass. or Soldier synergies by the time of posting, but more play experience wouldn't hurt. Thematically, the tank crew are war heroes just like Sgt. Drake and the Airborne Elite, so Valiant Soldiers seemed to be the most consistent choice.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards