Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old February 19th, 2015, 07:29 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced View Post
Planning some Dicemasters tonight.
I'm still on the fence on whether or not to pick up a starter set or not...I'd probably just have moved on a while ago but the Basic Action Dice would work nicely for a custom game I've been working on. I don't want to buy it just for that possibility though and I am not sure if my game playing partner is ready for this or not...he's only in 1st grade.
My daughter was in 1st grade when I taught her Dice Masters. She was able to play, but unable to pick a cohesive team which is part of the fun, chucking dice being the other part. Funny thing, I am staring at an unopened AvX starter on my desk sitting next to the big Cthulhu from the Reaper Bones KS. It looks like he is trying to grab it. Everyone likes dice.
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:33 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

GhostManQ:

*Welcome!*

I don't know if you're into using your "User CP" (User Control Panel--see control bar up top second to right) or the Private Messaging (PM) system here yet (through the CP), but if you want to Scape with us here in NYC, we're well known here as The New York City Gang of Four: Chas, Sherman Davies, Kolakoski, and Taeblewalker (now residing upstate but drives down). We're all old timers with extensive collections, and game monthly (and play other board games at other times); our next Scape game will be in late March.

I'll send you a PM to your CP, but you can contact me further here for now, or see:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=39209

(Forums/Online Community/Meet Other Scapers/New York City Heroscaping)

Chas
Old February 19th, 2015, 08:33 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormi_Boced View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Save your money and get King of Tokyo instead.
I like King of Tokyo quite a bit, but I think you will get more for you money with Dicemasters. You really need the expansions for KoT too in my opinion. The 15 dollar starter has a lot more play in it IMO.
We got KoT for Christmas and recently got the Power UP expansion (as in it arrived in the mail this week) but haven't opened it yet. My son loves that one as do I but the issue with that one is that it is best with more than three players and it's typically the two of us and occasionally my wife joins in for a third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I've played the first starter. I'd rather chew tin foil.
What particular didn't you like about it Q? I'd like to hear the downsides so I can make a better decision.

As for the collectible aspect...If we did enjoy this game I'd just buy a common/uncommon set off ebay and call it a day. They seem to be plentiful. Also from what I have found the character that appear in both sets have the same dice but different colors and since we would not be doing competitions reduces our need to "collect" dice.

We tend to avoid all collectible games. We've so far kept my son clear of the Pokemon and similar craze that seems to be common at his school.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Ended up playing 2 games of Dead of Winter yesterday, both with traitors. Lots of fun there. Then played Havok and Hijinks three times, which is a cute little "take that" card game with baby dragons stealing gold from each other as they try to amass their hordes.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 19th, 2015, 01:44 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Well a shower now and again might change that

C'mon LP, Wisconsin is supposed to be pretty big for gaming. Maybe hunting season, ice fishing and snowmobiling is taking over this time of year
Not one of them does outdoor sports. Just excuse after excuse. "I have to work on a sunday night at a fast food restaurant." I planned this a month and a half ahead, you could have asked off, or even let me know before that morning!!!

Got to be a bit much.

I really want to try Dead of Winter. Looks almost like Betrayal at House on the Hill mixed with Last Night on Earth.
Old February 19th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Well a shower now and again might change that

C'mon LP, Wisconsin is supposed to be pretty big for gaming. Maybe hunting season, ice fishing and snowmobiling is taking over this time of year
Not one of them does outdoor sports. Just excuse after excuse. "I have to work on a sunday night at a fast food restaurant." I planned this a month and a half ahead, you could have asked off, or even let me know before that morning!!!

Got to be a bit much.

I really want to try Dead of Winter. Looks almost like Betrayal at House on the Hill mixed with Last Night on Earth.
I played Dead of Winter. That's a pretty accurate description.

Old February 19th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I haven't watched it yet, but the new Tabletop is Dead of Winter. Features the return of Grant Imahara, too. I'd link it but I'm feeling lazy at the moment.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

DoW has a lot of Battlestar Galactica in it, if you've played that one, LP.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old February 19th, 2015, 10:26 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Ok, now I watched it. This episode really captures the intensity of the game.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:27 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I've only played BSG a couple times, so yeah, DoW has some of that vibe to it.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
What particular didn't you like about it Q? I'd like to hear the downsides so I can make a better decision.

As for the collectible aspect...If we did enjoy this game I'd just buy a common/uncommon set off ebay and call it a day. They seem to be plentiful. Also from what I have found the character that appear in both sets have the same dice but different colors and since we would not be doing competitions reduces our need to "collect" dice.

We tend to avoid all collectible games. We've so far kept my son clear of the Pokemon and similar craze that seems to be common at his school.
It's pretty much based on Magic: The Gathering in the way the game works except most of the cool interactions aren't there and you can buy more dice as you play. Maybe if I'd never played magic, it'd be fun but instead I just get the feeling of "Why am I wasting my time playing a game that's a distant shadow of better games?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 20th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Ok, now I watched it. This episode really captures the intensity of the game.
I just watched that last night. I was already pretty certain I wanted it after the Shut Up and Sit Down review but after watching that I'm definitely going to pick up a copy of it on Sunday at my local game store.

I had a surprise board game night last night (D&D having been canceled) where I had the chance to play a few games.

First up was two games of Camel Up. It's a cute little betting game that's easy enough to pick up and play. I won the firsts game and would have preferred to play something else but people wanted to go again, so I won the second game and was even more eager to move on already. Two of the players were not as focused on the game, making it easier for me since they would so often default to rolling and gave me more information to place informed bets.

After we put that away, I busted out my game that I've been playtesting and tried it with the two distracted gamers from the previous two games. I was a little off myself in laying out the rules and we dived into it, but they both had zoned out during my flubbed explanation and had trouble following what to do. It was most informative on how I need to go about laying it out in the future, but moreso I think I need to cut out a major mechanic from the game. Right now it is a 5 minute game that takes 15 minutes to explain, which is a heck of a lot to ask of people for a real time dice rolling game. As much as I like the idea for the mechanic, I think I just need to clear it out and tell myself I can use it for advanced rules or some such for expert players.

Then we hopped into a 4 player game of Street Fighter Deck Builder. I've come to appreciate that the "Cerberus System" of deck builders is more of something I tolerate than particularly enjoy. While I certainly enjoy a good theme, I feel like this style game doesn't particularly marry it with the mechanics and depends on players enjoying the theme while sitting through what amounts to a mediocre deck builder. I ended up eventually getting a pretty cool little engine together that I enjoyed but I spent a little too much time building it rather than going after the high point cards I should have been chasing.

Lastly I finally had the chance to play Shadowrun: Crossfire. People over at my local game store have been playing that game a ton lately so I was curious what all of the fuss was about. We got a horrible string of cards that sent me critical in the second level, although we still managed to escape. I didn't get to see all that much of it but I am ultimately intrigued by the system and willing to explore it more. I typically enjoy extremely challenging co-operative games (I look forward to playing Ghost Stories more) so it seems like this may be up my alley. I am still not certain if the game actually comes together that well or if people are just really into the idea of leveling up their character over time, but I suppose I'll figure that out with more playing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games