Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old January 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM

pixlepix Woo who?
Re: A Comprehensive List of Common Competitive Abbreviations

I would put them alphabetically. If you are looking for something, in this system, you need to know what it is. Otherwise, great thread. Sad to say that I was the one who used rttff. Thought everyone was addicted to heroscape.

"Heroscape isn't interfering with your life. Your life is interfering with heroscape."
Basic guide to heroscape
guide to heroscape rules
The best online game ever(try it out for a month.)
Old January 18th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Caster of Crying

Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Warlord Alpha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nice thread. Two suggestions, though:

First, Bold all of the abbreviations. It makes them stand out a little more, and if somebody is searching for something specific then that will make it easier to find.

It would look like this:

AE - Airborne Elite
Carr - Agent Carr

Second, you should add in a "misc" section for things like WtF and BoV and such.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post

First, Bold all of the abbreviations. It makes them stand out a little more, and if somebody is searching for something specific then that will make it easier to find.

It would look like this:

AE - Airborne Elite
Carr - Agent Carr

Second, you should add in a "misc" section for things like WtF and BoV and such.
These are good suggestions.

Great list, Jexik. It should be very useful, especially for newcomers. I've seem so many "What does XXX mean?" questions, and now we can direct them here so that they learn the others as well.

This thread has also given me two goals:

1) to get my name on that list
2) to beat each player on it at least once (I've gotten three of them so far, and only played one other. Hendal gave me a sound stomping at GenCon 2008 )

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by Jexik; January 18th, 2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: oops, wrong button, meant to hit quote.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post

It would look like this:

AE - Airborne Elite
Carr - Agent Carr

Yeah, that's probably a good idea to bold stuff. One reason I didn't- it's a convention on the forums to bold usernames, and I wanted to maintain the distinction between MM (minutemen, rarely used nowadays, but I still see it sometimes) and MM (for Matthias Maccabeus, who never plays the MM). That's just about the only corner case though, so your suggestion might help the overall usefulness of such a list.

You're right, a miscellaneous shorthand of terms is good too. I think I might also list some of the nicknames for armies, which seem to have increased in popularity since I wrote that cookie cutter thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
This thread has also given me two goals:

1) to get my name on that list
2) to beat each player on it at least once (I've gotten three of them so far, and only played one other. Hendal gave me a sound stomping at GenCon 2008 )
Yeah, interesting that you should say that. It seems like winning a big tournament, or beating me (or a friend of mine) is a good way to get on the list.

Of the people on that list:

I'm 1-0 against spider in tournaments, and he was playing Redcoats. (We're about 50/50 in practice games, although he generally seems to crank it up a notch the day of).

I've never faced Mattser, Mantrain, tom, R˙chean, or Revdyer. I'd certainly like to. I've played Ry in Rush and Crush, does that count?

I'm 0-2 against Lonewolf, Eirikr, and Matthias Maccabeus.

0-1 against Hendal. Got stomped in Unique Hero.

3-0 against Codeman. (But two out of the three games were very close).

1-1 against matrixrenegade and southwestninja. I played the games against swninja back to back: he beat me in the final match of Heat of the Battle, I beat him in a much less climactic first round game of Capture the Flag. Note: 4th mass can beat heavies w/o Raelin pretty easily.

Making the list was rather unscientific. If I were to make the list one or two years ago, Jormi_boced would have a separate entry, but he seems a lot less interested in tournament scape these days. He made day two the first two years. Similar to Mantrainchoochoo, we'd probably hear about him a lot more if it weren't for spider beating him in just about every tourney. His only losses in the main event in 2006 were to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; January 18th, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Guilty- Guilty McCreech (named after Will Creech)
Fixed that for you.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old January 19th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

A couple others I've seen are Snow Monkeys and Tree Monkeys for the Dzu-Teh and Quasatch Hunters, respectively, and Sir GrungeBob for Sir Hawthorne. Maybe FaT Bomb should be on this list, too?

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

In the misc. category:

turtling, camping- setting up your army in one area of the map (generally high ground) and not moving. This tactic is most frequently used with ranged armies, particularly against melee opponents.

kamikaze unit, suicide unit - sending out a hero or squad at the beginning of battle without any protection, with the intention of bringing down some opposing figures before getting killed.

Z-bomb - when Zelrig hits a cluster of common squad figures with his Majestic Fires special attack. This usually happens at the beginning of the game, before the squad figures exit their start zone.

slow-roll- the strategy, popular among experienced players, of moving the rearmost figures of your army forward, so that your army stays together as a cohesive group.

screen, screening unit- figures that are set up in front of other, more vulnerable or valuable figures. The idea is to force your opponent to engage the screening unit. The most common screen is the deathreavers.

Cheerleader- a figure who provides benefits to other figures in your army. Raelin is the most common cheerleader.

cleanup - the later stages of a game, when most figures are dead and the board is less crowded.
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Those are some good ideas too dok, I should add them in some form or another. I think one of the reason my silly colorful order marker thing took off as well as it did was because the terms 'cheerleader' and 'cleanup' were already pretty common among posters here.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
nonding- Coined by the BIV, this term is used to describe the MoU's non-bonding

Whats the BIV?

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Heh. You're right. Explanatory link provided.

Quote:
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I laughed out loud when I saw the Shades of Bleakwoode Abbreviation.
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toad Rocket wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
I laughed out loud when I saw the Shades of Bleakwoode Abbreviation.
Same when if first saw Wait Then Fire. WTF means something COMPLETELY different on almost every other forum on the web. As a noob I saw statements like 'My 4th WTF'd those melee troops to death. It was great". And my poor little noob brain was trying to figure out how the standard definition of WTF applied in that sentence.

I suppose with the shades we can say stuff like "I will WTF your SOBs" and will be ok on this forum. Weird.

Edit: Just found this
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=938

Maybe that one should no longer be stickied because it is so out of date.

"I wish my iPad would stop trying to autocorrect all the heroscape names for me."

Good Trades I have had.

Collection Guide for Recommended Quantities.

Last edited by Toad Rocket; January 25th, 2010 at 04:26 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion