Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 9th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Just ask the DnD community.

I think you already have your information about how DnD players feel about this game by going over to their forum and looking around, though. If they're not talking about it, it means they don't care. When we hear about a release around here, we go bat crazy. I realize it's not a core release for them, but you'd think there'd be at least a murmur of conversation if they care.
Also, note the lack of a flood of DnD players who didn't previously play this game in this forum since the news broke. I just don't think the news has piqued the interest of the DnD community at large.
Now if your goal is to go out and try to raise some of that interest in the game on your own, more power to you.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 9th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

OK, I've read through every post in this thread, so a little respect here.

I hate to say this, but I think it DOES matter to us if D&D fans start playing HS more regularly.

First of all, a big problem this game has is it's "kiddy profile" status. If D&D fans start playing it this will help with this problem a lot. (Not that I don't love the fact that I will be able to introduce it to my son in a few years. I do, but the perception is a problem.)

Second if they start playing this then this overcomes--in one fell swoop--our concerns about HS's survival. I know, I don't want to see the game completely taken over by those swords and sorcery maniacs, but it would sure make me feel comfortable about this games future to see a thriving D&D 'scape audience.

And while I agree that the lack of threads on D&D forums does indicate a lack of excitement, it doesn't tell us whether this is because of:
a) Lack of advertising.
b) Lack of enthusiasm about another way to play D&D.
c) Revulsion at the idea.
So I am very much looking forward to the response to Green Lantern's post.

And frankly, I think it could be important to the future of our beloved 'scape. I hope it isn't, but I have realized this game has a real niche problem. Face it, it's a game kids can play with advanced strategy, a geek game because it uses miniatures but not geeky enough for the diehards. I love this game, if part of its future is as new type of D&D game, so be it.

Kevin
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

Yeah, but I also feel that part of that niche is why a lot of us get along fairly well, and the tournaments are so fun.

It takes a certain attitude to get into a game like this.

A lot of die hard D&D players are a bit different than us, although there is some overlap.

It certainly couldn't hurt though, as kolakoski says here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

Comparing D&D to Heroscape is apples to oranges, but they are both fruit, and the kinds of people that gravitate towards games in general haven't the aversion to one or the other that is implied in some of the more fanatical posts. Given that both are more than viable as games, it is the quality of the players that makes or breaks the experience. I'm pretty sure that, among players of both games, there are some who prefer one over the other to a greater or lesser extent, but few who are so fanatic that they could not enjoy both under the right circumstances. Communication between the two sets of players can only enrich both.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

True the type of HS gamer, the average, is very different, has a different attitude toward gaming. MOst aren;t gamers at all, but play JUST HS. Also, in general, we tend tp be cleaner and less smelly...;p

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bfc7/

That rocks.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Ivellius knows what's in an order marker Ivellius knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
And while I agree that the lack of threads on D&D forums does indicate a lack of excitement, it doesn't tell us whether this is because of:
a) Lack of advertising.
This I agree with. When they updated the upcoming releases post after GenCon, the person doing it didn't seem to know what Heroscape was.

And I'm one of those who plays both D&D and Heroscape (not nearly as much as I'd like for either, though) and think both are good systems for what they are. (I've also used the Heroscape figures and/or terrain for my past couple of campaigns, which technically were the Warcraft d20.) I started playing D&D a couple of years before Heroscape with 3.5 material. I wouldn't say the length of sessions is a big draw for me; I mainly like the storytelling aspects.

For me, Heroscape grew out of a lifelong love for strategy games, while D&D is more about my love of stories. There's some overlap, yeah--both combat systems focus more on small-scale battles--and I think people can pretty easily enjoy both. I would think D&D Heroscape would appeal to "hack-and-slashers" who care more about battles, but so much of D&D's appeal (at least for me) is tied to the cooperative aspects that I'm not sure how much it'll be embraced. Heroscape does seem like a good alternative to the Skirmishes game, though I never played it.

GL, have you started your thread yet? I've got an account at the Wizards site, though I pretty much stick to the older editions forum. I'd like to see what other D&Ders are saying.

I think D&D Heroscape has a lot of effect on our game, as several have pointed out. I mean, if it were vanilla Heroscape, it wouldn't have a "Dungeons & Dragons" on the box. (D&D Heroscape should be treated the same as Marvel, by the way.)
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
..but who doesn't have a little geek in them?
Gencon '09 come-on line to the chicks in the Darkstalkers hoochie-wear:

"Hey baby girl, do you have a little geek in you? No? Do you want one?"

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse View Post
True the type of HS gamer, the average, is very different, has a different attitude toward gaming. MOst aren;t gamers at all, but play JUST HS. Also, in general, we tend tp be cleaner and less smelly...;p
I don't entirely buy that.

I've played D&D, Palladium RPG, Rifters, Attacktix, Crossbows and Catapults, SW Minis, Starship Battles, D&D minis, Mage Knight, Mage Knight Dungeons, Heroscape, and a bushel of other board games.

So, how am I different than most? Heroscape is simply a miniature wargame, no more, no less. It just happens to use a cool board!

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Well, first of all,you know I was joking right?

Second,YOU DO smell.

Third, I'm an ex-a-DnDer, not that I don't like it anymore, just don't have time.

Fourth, the majority of the crowd I met playing DnD was vastly different from the crowd I've met playing Scape.

Sure there's a ton of ocerlapping, but I'm generalizing, at least what my experience has been. The only exception in that was Charles really. I think HS appeals to a different crown, for the most part, and it brings a lot of non gamers.

Oh, and YOU DO smell.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
..but who doesn't have a little geek in them?
Gencon '09 come-on line to the chicks in the Darkstalkers hoochie-wear:

"Hey baby girl, do you have a little geek in you? No? Do you want one?"

Classic.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroc View Post
a) Lack of advertising.
This I agree with. When they updated the upcoming releases post after GenCon, the person doing it didn't seem to know what Heroscape was.

And I'm one of those who plays both D&D and Heroscape (not nearly as much as I'd like for either, though) and think both are good systems for what they are. (I've also used the Heroscape figures and/or terrain for my past couple of campaigns, which technically were the Warcraft d20.) I started playing D&D a couple of years before Heroscape with 3.5 material. I wouldn't say the length of sessions is a big draw for me; I mainly like the storytelling aspects.

For me, Heroscape grew out of a lifelong love for strategy games, while D&D is more about my love of stories. There's some overlap, yeah--both combat systems focus more on small-scale battles--and I think people can pretty easily enjoy both. I would think D&D Heroscape would appeal to "hack-and-slashers" who care more about battles, but so much of D&D's appeal (at least for me) is tied to the cooperative aspects that I'm not sure how much it'll be embraced. Heroscape does seem like a good alternative to the Skirmishes game, though I never played it.

GL, have you started your thread yet? I've got an account at the Wizards site, though I pretty much stick to the older editions forum. I'd like to see what other D&Ders are saying.

I think D&D Heroscape has a lot of effect on our game, as several have pointed out. I mean, if it were vanilla Heroscape, it wouldn't have a "Dungeons & Dragons" on the box. (D&D Heroscape should be treated the same as Marvel, by the way.)
I'll have something up by tonight or in the wee hours of the morning. I've had a hectic week with school.

I'm probably going to do some writing first just to see how I interpret what I'm even looking for. IAmBatman, asked earlier if I was looking to create an artificial interest in the game, and to be honest I really couldn't say at this point. I've gotten some great input out of this thread, and much of it is stuff I hadn't considered before. This is why I asked our community before actually doing it . I'll leave a link in the first post after I make the thread so those interested can have easy access to it, but as stated before I won't be making a two way door by giving them a link to our site.

Kroc, brings up a good issue about the actual advertisement by WotC. We have a small chunk of information at our disposal here, and that was mostly generated by our members doing their own investigative work. I will definitely ask about the news they receive.

I think I found the guy who is running the upcoming releases, well I found the thread where he does it at least. based on what I read he was unsure about how to interpret this set and was confused about what HS even was.

This is what he said:
Quote:
Quote:
Gazra wrote: It was made by the same guy who made Hero Quest. Also, the Castle Ravenloft Board game comes out in August.
EnigmaShock wrote: Yeah, since it was a board game, I was holding off. Once I get a little more info about heroscape, I may drop that from the roster too, or at least move it to the minis section
That was 2 months ago, and three more pages have been added to that thread. Heroscape is not on his list.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.

Last edited by GreenLanturn; October 9th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

As a guy who has played both D&D, D&D Miniatures and Heroscape I can tell you that for the most part the D&D players won't care much for Heroscape as a game. The majority of miniature buyers were doing so for the minis themselves so they could use them for their D&D RPG games. The D&D Miniatures game eventually fizzled because it just couldn't keep a profit margin for cost. Many D&D RPGers already know about Heroscape but few play the game and I seriously doubt this new set will make them do so, they might play it once or twice just to see but I can't see it pushing the game of Heroscape to new levels. If D&D RPGers weren't interested in D&D Miniatures as a game why would they be interested in a D&D Heroscape game using old figures from the miniatures game? So in short this new set is good for us Heroscape players only IMO because we get new pieces to play with.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion