Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old September 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Clarification on Special Attacks and bonuses

Hopefully we have all had the following phrase deeply ingrained in our subconscious: **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

The above is a true statement and one that n00bs aplenty flub. As such, it gets a lot of billing on the site, as is appropriate. The clarification I wish to offer is the flip side of the above statement.

I have often read posters make either allusion to or direct statement to the effect that because Special Attacks to not receive any bonuses that the reverse is also true; that defenders against Special Attacks do not receive bonuses either.

This is not the case. Defenders always receive any bonus to which they are entitled. Whether that be from a Glyph, Height Advantage, a boost from another unit, etc. It is only the unit utilizing the Special Attack that does not get to use modifiers, not those defending against said Special Attack.

As a further clarification and reminder for newer players, not all abilities, even those that can cause death or wounds, are Special Attacks. To be a Special Attack, and therefore fall under the no bonuses rule, A special ability must have the term Special Attack in its name. Further, it will also have a Range value and an Attack value. If a special, such as Syvarris' Double Attack, does not say Special Attack, it is not one and can indeed receive bonuses.

Examples:

Special Attack - Deathwalker 9000's Explosion Special Attack:

Not a Special Attack - Syvarris's Double Attack:

Edit: Added as per request from 1Mmirg:

Special Attack - Sujoah's Poisonous Sting Special Attack:

As a Special Attack, Poisonous Sting receives no bonuses--not even on the d20 roll. If you have a Glyph or some other ability that adds to a D20 roll, it does not benifit Poisonous Sting.

Last edited by Cavalier; September 8th, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Clarification on Special Attacks and bonuses

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Cavalier again.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation

Cav, calm down and don't be upset with the series of Noobs who ask (or confuse) basic stuff . We usually have that twice a year (in summer and after Christmas).
Will you also write about road bonus only applies if the whole movement are on road tiles? How about extreme height applies only if the base of your figure is 10 level higher than the height + level of your opponent figure?

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Now how do we get the right people to actually see this post...?

Thanks, Cav, for putting this together. I like that you took a phrase that gets repeated a lot (for good reason!) and added some much needed clarifications (I've ran into that defense argument plenty...).

If you don't mind, I would love to see Sujoah included here as a "tricky" example (with the d20) that still gets reexplained again and again...
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Now how do we get the right people to actually see this post...?

Thanks, Cav, for putting this together. I like that you took a phrase that gets repeated a lot (for good reason!) and added some much needed clarifications (I've ran into that defense argument plenty...).

If you don't mind, I would love to see Sujoah included here as a "tricky" example (with the d20) that still gets reexplained again and again...
That is a good idea, 1Mmirg.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:20 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Great job, as per usual, Cavalier! This is an important lesson and one worth repeating.

EDIT: See there? You learn something every day. I've been playing Sujoah incorrectly. Thanks for the lesson, Cav.

Also, for what it's worth I took a look at all of the abilities that require a D20 roll. Aside from Sujoah, it looks like Silver Surfer's Cosmic Force Blast is the only other Special Attack that falls into this category.

Last edited by CheddarLimbo; September 8th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Hmmmm... maybe a series of these would be useful with 'key words' in the heading so they can be found easily by the search function.

Seems to me that the search function is getting its fair amount of use but the common start of a thread is "I searched but..."

Like this thread the term Special Attack is in the header. IF someone has a question about a SA and says they searched for special attack and got nothing, then we know that's a load of bull and that some Cav n00b Training is in order.

-insert signature here-
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hmm, while this is useful, and search is useful too, one would think the first place to look for an answer is in the rules, and the second place is in the official FAQ. I didn't check the rulebook, but I seem to remember a passage about special attacks, and the FAQ certainly makes this stuff quite clear in the section: "Special Attacks".

The D20 roll on Sujoah is the only part of this post that I can see anyone asking about, as that is kind of tricky (well, not really, but still...)

For the rest: you do not need to use search on this site at all. Just read the rules and the FAQ! It is all there.

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDD View Post
Hmm, while this is useful, and search is useful too, one would think the first place to look for an answer is in the rules, and the second place is in the official FAQ. I didn't check the rulebook, but I seem to remember a passage about special attacks, and the FAQ certainly makes this stuff quite clear in the section: "Special Attacks".

The D20 roll on Sujoah is the only part of this post that I can see anyone asking about, as that is kind of tricky (well, not really, but still...)

For the rest: you do not need to use search on this site at all. Just read the rules and the FAQ! It is all there.
While you are correct that these answers can be found in the rule books and the FAQs, if that were sufficient, we wouldn't have scores of threads asking if I can do this or how does that work.

This thread actually was created because of some apparant confussion in an actual post (several actually) where people seem to think that htey do not get height advantage and such when defending against Special Attacks. Since I wanted to make clear the difference between defending and attacking in the receiving of bonuses, I thought it would be a great time to also point out the difference between Special Attacks and other powers that may seem to be Special Attacks but do not fall in to the same category.

To say there is no need for this clarification is to completely disregard the many times these misconceptions have been brought up.

Last edited by Cavalier; September 8th, 2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Quote:

While you are correct that these answers can be found in the rule books and the FAQs, if that were sufficient, we wouldn't have scores of threads asking if I can do this or how does that work.

This thread actually was created because of some apparant confussion in an actual post (several actually) where people seem to think that htey do not get height advantage and such when defending against Special Attacks. Since I wanted to make clear the difference between defending and attacking in the receiving of bonuses, I thought it would be a great time to also point out the difference between Special Attacks and other powers that may seem to be Special Attacks but do not fall in to the same category.

To say there is no need for this clarification is to completely disregard the many times these misconeceptions have been brought up.
Oh no, you are completely correct in that these Qs keep popping up, and the thread and content is good.

However, all of this can be found in these forums many times over and I am not quite sure why we all of a sudden expect people to find this thread when they were unable to read the rules, read the faq or search the forum before... I'm just not that optimistic.

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old September 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Quote:
Oh no, you are completely correct in that these Qs keep popping up, and the thread and content is good.

However, all of this can be found in these forums many times over and I am not quite sure why we all of a sudden expect people to find this thread when they were unable to read the rules, read the faq or search the forum before... I'm just not that optimistic.
Ah, well in that, sadly, we are in agreement.
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
To say there is no need for this clarification is to completely disregard the many times these misconeceptions have been brought up.
Misconceptions... I'm sorry, I just needed to point that error out.

Whether to believe or disbelieve, it is a wicked thing to take away men’s hope.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's