Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old March 7th, 2018, 03:52 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Japes,

"March comes in like a lion, and goes out like a lamb."

February was quite mild here. By next week I expect it will be much more moderate than this final storm!

If you'll have any free time, PM me for my contact info and drop by for a visit! I can take you on a tour of the very historical brownstone neighborhood and my game collection. We'll be playing Scape and Rising Sun next Wednesday all day from noon and into the evening, as our regular meeting is now postponed for today, if you'd like to join in.

Hope you have a great time here in The Big Apple!

Last edited by chas; March 7th, 2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old March 7th, 2018, 12:58 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Today's snowstorm will mean only Kolokoski and I will be meeting to play his replacement scenario, which I'm calling March Into The Underdark. We'll each be playing 600 points on the very Drow friendly map Cerberus by Mad Wookie. K. will take the Drow in Game One and I'll make up a Drow Army for Game Two. The idea will be to defeat them on their own ground!

K. will be using the C3V Public Playtest thread's Drow Asassin, and has bought four figures for it which were just delivered. But I've got a little surprise for him as well!

Next Wednesday March 14 the four of us will be at it again to play Taeblewalker's much delayed game, and then probably some Rising Sun.

Last edited by chas; March 7th, 2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old March 7th, 2018, 10:13 PM

In the first game, for Avernus I proxied my giant three headed robot (silver) modified Mimring; a rather amazing custom figure I'd owned since before the NYCG4 was formed 10 years ago, but had never gotten into one of our games! (You guys may have noticed it looking down on you from high atop my media shelves in the corner of the living room). In the first two games, Kolokoski and I played well and had interesting times. He won both games, but they could have gone either way.

Chas Game 1 Army (Anti-Drow)

Braxas 210
Avernus 145 (Fire Elemental; C3V Public Playtest)
Warforged Soldiers x3 240
Total: 595

Chas Game 2 Army (Drow)

Estivara 80
Drow Chainfioghter x2 50
Drow Asassin 35 (C3V Public Playtest)
Drow x2 140
Molten Claw 170
Fen Hydra 120

Then we played a third game where neither player used Drow, or other units used previously.

Chas Army Game 3 (Non Drow)

Calibrax 130 (C3V)
Sentinels of Grax 100 (C3V)
Major J15 (C3V)
Mika Connor 110
Iron Golem 100
Shotgun Suillivan 65
Total: 600

This game K. and I just played units we wanted to play. He said: "This time you have a chance." Not only did I win, but I won with my two final surviving figures,
the Sentinels of Grax pounding Derrick Ambershard and then Cykurgath (C3V) for the win! When I got the SG figures from IshMel as they first came out, I was very excited for them. But the first two times I played them, both were killed off quickly and they never did anything for me. This time I even was able to Reconstruct one of them. So this was a very satisfying victory for me!

K. traded/sold me a pair of the Drow Asassins, as he'd just bought 4 of them, and they work well in pairs. I gave him a spare Tomoe Gozen (C3V) figure I had. We both used the DA in our Drow armies; they were a lot of fun to play!

The long delayed Taeblewalker Scape will finally be played next Wednesday (hopefully).
Old March 8th, 2018, 03:10 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

My stuff in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
In the first game, for Avernus I proxied my giant three headed robot (silver) modified Mimring; a rather amazing custom figure I'd owned since before the NYCG4 was formed 10 years ago, but had never gotten into one of our games! (You guys may have noticed it looking down on you from high atop my media shelves in the corner of the living room). In the first two games, Kolokoski and I played well and had interesting times. He won both games, but they could have gone either way.

Chas Game 1 Army (Anti-Drow)

Braxas 210
Avernus 145 (Fire Elemental; C3V Public Playtest)
Warforged Soldiers x 3 240
Quote:
kolakoski Game 1 Army (Drow)
210 Drow x 3
140 Drow Assassin x 4
130 Kee-Mo-Shi
60 Elaria
60 Morgan's Riflemen

Chas Game 2 Army (Drow)

Estivara 80
Drow Chainfighter x 2 50
Drow Assassin 35 (C3V Public Playtest)[not yet]
Drow x 2 140
Molten Claw 170
Fen Hydra 120

kolakoski Game 2 Army (Non Drow)
210 Braxas
150 Cathars x 2
120 Tagawa Samurai
120 Kaemon

Then we played a third game where neither player used Drow, or other units used previously.

Chas Army Game 3 (Non Drow)

Calibrax 130 (C3V)
Sentinels of Grax 100 (C3V)
Major J15 (C3V)
Mika Connor 110
Iron Golem 100
Shotgun Suillivan 65
Total: 600

Cxurg'gyath
130 Tagawa Samurai Archers x 2
110 Tomoe Gozen
100 Mindflayer
60 Darrak Ambershard
60 Izumi Samurai

This game K. and I just played units we wanted to play. He said: "This time you have a chance." Not only did I win, but I won with my two final surviving figures, the Sentinels of Grax pounding Derrick Ambershard and then
Cxurg'gyath (C3V) for the win! When I got the SG figures from IshMel as they first came out, I was very excited for them. But the first two times I played them, both were killed off quickly and they never did anything for me. This time I even was able to Reconstruct one of them. So this was a very satisfying victory for me!

K. traded/sold me a pair of the Drow Asassins, as he'd just bought 4 of them, and they work well in pairs. I gave him a spare Tomoe Gozen (C3V) figure I had. We both used the DA in our Drow armies; they were a lot of fun to play!

The long delayed Taeblewalker Scape will finally be played next Wednesday (hopefully).

Old March 8th, 2018, 03:21 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Japes,

"March comes in like a lion, and goes out like a lamb."

February was quite mild here. By next week I expect it will be much more moderate than this final storm!

If you'll have any free time, PM me for my contact info and drop by for a visit! I can take you on a tour of the very historical brownstone neighborhood and my game collection. We'll be playing Scape and Rising Sun next Wednesday all day from noon and into the evening, as our regular meeting is now postponed for today, if you'd like to join in.

Hope you have a great time here in The Big Apple!
As tempting as it is to meet some of The Gang Wednesday is totally booked up for us. My son and I have never been to New York and my wife hasn't been there since she marched in the St. Patrick's Day Parade when she was in High School. We are traveling with some other families...My son's Gang of Three...hmmm wonder where he got that from will be in tow. It's the two closest friends that's he's been bringing into the Heroscape fold.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old March 18th, 2018, 08:16 AM

Built Taeblewalker's intricate Savage Land map, which has long been admired here onsite and which we'd used before long ago in a forgotten time. We had a fun game of Scape on it--I even grabbed the win!

Chas Army

Master Woo
Master Lao Xin (C3V)
Shao Lin Monks (x2)
Shotgun Sullivan
Total: 495

After our game, K. and T. left. SD and I were joined by a neighbor, and we played a fun game of Rising Sun.
Old March 18th, 2018, 10:26 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Hello gang. Just returned home from your great city and already had a comic book victory for my son. He was reading a Spider-Man comic yesterday and they mentioned Bryant Park. My son got excited since he now knows where that is. We were mostly in midtown but we took a subway trip to the Bronx zoo to visit an old friend. I don't usually like big cities and I have never had a desire to visit New York but I really enjoyed my time there. Loved riding the subway.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old March 18th, 2018, 11:02 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Glad you enjoyed your trip, japes! If you ever visit again, maybe we'll get a chance to meet up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Hello gang. Just returned home from your great city and already had a comic book victory for my son. He was reading a Spider-Man comic yesterday and they mentioned Bryant Park. My son got excited since he now knows where that is.
That was definitely part of Marvel's appeal for me as a kid growing up in NYC. I remember looking at the tall buildings on Baxter Street in Chinatown and wondering which one of them was the Baxter Building.
Old March 18th, 2018, 04:03 PM

Stan Lee once said they had to write what they knew--and they were all living in NYC. I love travelling to other places--I've been to maybe 20 foreign countries and much of the USA. But I am an NYC booster! Of course, if someone says I must think New York is the center of the world, I say:

"That would be silly. The center of the world is Brooklyn."
Old March 19th, 2018, 01:08 AM

Dagger is surprisingly tart

Hey guys I am planning on making a trip to NYC in a few weeks. Is there any place to get heroscape stuff in the city?
Old March 19th, 2018, 06:20 AM

Dagger,

Greetings, and welcome to the site! Lancaster, PA is where I went twice a year for many years to the Historical Miniatures Gaming Society conventions at The Lancaster Host.

Sadly, not that I know of. You'd do better looking at the sales threads here onsite, where you can get very good deals! The main gaming shop is The Complete Strategist, at 11 E. 33 St. in Manhattan. There are also lots of games at Forbidden Planet, the major science fiction memorabilia and comic book store just off Union Square (14 St.).

"Did you get an apartment yet?"
"I wanted to move back to Brooklyn, but I can't afford it!"
--Captain America, The Winter Soldier

Anyone visiting NYC with some free time is welcome to drop by here to talk Scape and hang out, and can Private Message me for contact details. I can also give you a short tour of my neighborhood Brooklyn Heights, a beautiful historical brownstone district with the best view of the city skyline, where almost everyone who was anyone came by in the past, from George Washington and Abraham Lincoln to Walt Whitman and Bob Dylan! Walk the streets with Jennie Jerome, the local beauty who married an English lord and became the mother of Winston Churchill, and where Robert Ford gave his show "How I Shot Jesse James." See the statue of Henry Ward Beecher, famed preacher and abolitionist, who was a cousin of mine. Etc.

Last edited by chas; March 20th, 2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old March 20th, 2018, 01:12 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Back in the day, the Gang has had some vigorous disputes over the use of customs in our games. We rarely play customs nowadays, and have no formal way of introducing them into our games. We have been content to collectively accept only C3V/SoV customs.

A recent exception was
Leaf_It's submission of his Drow Assassin custom to SoV. It was immediately deemed acceptable by all of us (and we used it in our last gathering). chas and I went all in, purchasing figures, and were particularly disappointed when SoV rejected it. During this time, I was inspired to have a go at creating a custom for SoV myself. But I encountered the same roadblock as Leaf_It - figure availability or, more accurately, figure unavailability - very frustrating.

Then I recalled what chas had said to me in an email, "Too bad - doesn't mean we can't use him here!" Besides the Drow Assassin, C3V Public Playtest figures have been allowed without dispute. The Gang has become quite sophisticated over the years, and I believe it's time for us to create a list of officially accepted Gang customs. It would be a fluid list, as opposed to C3V/SoV's immutable one. This will also give us a forum for the development of our own customs, with figure availability a non-issue. We can have an open discussion about them, and place or remove them on the list based on their continued acceptance by every member of the Gang. It may or may not be something we'd want to start a separate thread for.

To begin, I propose we officially accept the Drow Assassin as is, and all Public Playtest figures. Shortly I, and I expect others (members and non-members of the Gang alike), will begin submitting designs
(members' and non-members' of the Gang alike) for consideration.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion