Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old September 21st, 2019, 07:10 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I am against the name Strategic Charge for that power. In HeroScape, Strategic is generally a keyword for a power that gives a choice between two benefits (such as with the Dreadguls or Axegrinders), but Strategic Charge does not present any such choice.

I remember when these guys were in the Pre-SoV Workshop, Dysole suggested Tactical Charge as a possible alternative. Have you considered that or another replacement for the name Strategic Charge?
Tactical Charge works for me. Also I broke that precedent with Maltis Tez, and Strategic Repositioning.

What's your take on the Imposing Threat power name?

I think Bulwark works pretty well. A Bulwark is a defensive wall, and if you look up synonyms for "Protector" Bulwark is one of them. Additionally Dalmar's title of Stonewall fits it pretty well.
Even with Maltis Tez and Strategic Repositioning existing, I'd like to avoid breaking that precedent again. It also feels more immediately noticeable to me since as dwarves, these guys are part of one of those factions using a "Strategic" power.

Imposing Threat doesn't really bother me as a name very much, although I agree with superfrog that Dalmar doesn't exactly come across as a threat. Bulwark is a fine replacement as far as I'm concerned.
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:40 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

to review Great Axes of Ironstone and Dalmar Stonewall. I think these are good mechanical designs, but I don't see them getting through the process without a rejection on power names and slight thematic inconsistencies. Should a power based on being inspired by the sight of allies in battle be called "tactical" or "strategic" at all, when that isn't quite the theme it's supposed to be invoking?

Basically, I hope to see these designs again in a short while with some small tweaks to their text and theme. I would rather send them back for this now than have it happen a couple months down the line.
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:50 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I don't like the dwarves. I don't think most of the power names fit their respective themes or the themes (to the extent there are any) of the designs, and two of the four minis look like they are supposed to be some kind of dwarf-like monsters.

Nobody asked me. Just making my little points. What about a dwarf hero suggests "Imposing Threat"? How is "Tenacity" an offense power?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 22nd, 2019, 12:11 AM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Another shot of the em4 prepainted Dwarven set:

Old September 22nd, 2019, 01:06 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Is that the minis? Or a mock up? What’s the scale?

= =
Old September 22nd, 2019, 01:13 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Old September 22nd, 2019, 01:16 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Ooh, much better than they look on the card. The minis are good. Power names still unconnected from the powers and the minis, though.

= =
Old September 22nd, 2019, 04:09 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I have to say, being stuck at work, where I can't reply, when everyone finally starts replying, is really kind of painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Even with Maltis Tez and Strategic Repositioning existing, I'd like to avoid breaking that precedent again. It also feels more immediately noticeable to me since as dwarves, these guys are part of one of those factions using a "Strategic" power.

Imposing Threat doesn't really bother me as a name very much, although I agree with superfrog that Dalmar doesn't exactly come across as a threat. Bulwark is a fine replacement as far as I'm concerned.
I was just pointing out Maltis Tez, I wasn't trying to use her as a reason not to change the power name. I have nothing against reserving the term "Strategic" for powers that have two possible effects.

I think I'll go with Bulwark then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
to review Great Axes of Ironstone and Dalmar Stonewall. I think these are good mechanical designs, but I don't see them getting through the process without a rejection on power names and slight thematic inconsistencies. Should a power based on being inspired by the sight of allies in battle be called "tactical" or "strategic" at all, when that isn't quite the theme it's supposed to be invoking?

Basically, I hope to see these designs again in a short while with some small tweaks to their text and theme. I would rather send them back for this now than have it happen a couple months down the line.
It is Tactical/Strategic because because it is versatile. The power adds 2 to their move, but it does not require you to move anywhere. You could run in the opposite direction if you wanted to. They are looking at the battle, and then choosing the best course of action. That could be to help the engaged figure, and that will often be the case, but it could also be to run towards a glyph, or to engage a different enemy figure, or any other number of things.

I originally called it "Charge into Battle" but was told that name was unthematic because it didn't require the dwarves to end their movement engaged. I changed it to Strategic Charge, because it is a movement buff that is used strategically based on the situation.

The theme is not reinforcements, it's strategy. When they are close enough to see the battle, they are motivated to move more quickly towards whatever needs to be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I don't like the dwarves. I don't think most of the power names fit their respective themes or the themes (to the extent there are any) of the designs, and two of the four minis look like they are supposed to be some kind of dwarf-like monsters.

Nobody asked me. Just making my little points. What about a dwarf hero suggests "Imposing Threat"? How is "Tenacity" an offense power?
Quote:
Ooh, much better than they look on the card. The minis are good. Power names still unconnected from the powers and the minis, though.
He's a picture that I included in the submission post, though it was inside a spoiler:

He's a threat because he's a hero. Heros are a bigger threat than the squaddies. Regardless, I've already decided to change the name. I'm going with Bulwark, I think it's a pretty thematic name personally, but I am open to suggestions.

I'm honestly a little confused. Is my understanding of the meaning behind tenacity wrong? To be tenacious, is to be determined, or persistent, or resilient, and more. What about it says that it isn't useful in an offensive manner? If you are determined/persistent/resilient, does that only extend to surviving? Can it not extend to attacking as well?
Old September 22nd, 2019, 09:09 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Tenacity doesn't feel like it represents Tenacity to me. Tenacity isn't doing better when you're already doing well - it's battling through and not giving up if you're doing poorly. Rather than an extra skull/shield if you roll 2 or more, an extra one if you roll 1 or less feels more thematic to me.
I don't aggree that Tenacity should only be represented defensively - I think it can be represented offensively too - but it should feel more like them not giving up and reliably keeping going rather than a swingy 'rich get richer' type thing.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old September 22nd, 2019, 03:04 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

I think that’s fair. But I do believe that these powers do not sound like what they do. Neither Tenacity nor Imposing.

= =
Old September 22nd, 2019, 04:12 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I think that’s fair. But I do believe that these powers do not sound like what they do. Neither Tenacity nor Imposing.
Do you think that Bulwark is an improvement over Imposing Threat? His title is Stonewall, and his role is a protector. I think it fits, but what do you think?

To me tenacity meant that they would so determined that they would push themselves to be better. A figure has 7 defense? Well they'll push their attack to it's limit and get 4 skulls despite only having 3 attack stats to try and over come that. Even in the face of 4 skulls, and with only 3 defense stats, they would go further beyond, and get 4 shields.

Alright, Tenacity doesn't fit. No one seems to be bothered mechanically, so I just need a different name. I am open to suggestions, but here's a few ideas; Relentless, Unyielding, Steadfast, Dauntless, Intrepid, Defiant, Stouthearted...

What are everyone's thoughts on this?
Old September 22nd, 2019, 05:37 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

There is too much workshopping going on here at this point, but I'll throw in my comments.

Head canon doesn't always translate. Even if something can be explained away, that doesn't mean that's how it should exist on a card. Most people who would use a unit don't get the explanation with it. A custom should strive to tell its own story, not be dependent on one.

As others have noted, a Tenacity power would be something that strives on through failure, not adding to success. A bonus skull would be something like "Mighty Blow" or "Splitting Strike," where a bonus shield power would be "Bulwark" or "Concentrated Defense." Together in one power... erg... "Overdoing It" maybe.

"Because he's a hero" doesn't cut it to explain Imposing Threat. Heroscape is full of Heroes, many of which (including some other Dwarves) that are more imposing this this fellow. Also, such an ability would naturally make it harder to attack Dalmar, not other things that are not imposing. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the game. Not the name, not the theme. "Bulwark" doesn't work either, because that word suggests his own toughness, whereas the power is one that protects others. It has to be some sort of distraction ability, like Taunt. Being limited to small/medium Commons breaks the general theme of such an ability, though. It makes it feel like a leadership sort of ability where he is protective of the people under him. "Lead from the Front" or something.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs