Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Old June 29th, 2009, 11:40 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: Any Interest in a Turn-Based RPG Style CCG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post

The one worry I have with it, (of course without actually playing it) is the two dice rolls for every attack. It seems like it would add time and randomness to a game that would already have that from the card drawing aspect of it.
You're very right, but one thing I don't want is someone to be able to calculate out exactly how much damage an attack will do before they do it. Plus, without the rolls, the stats can be such that it's impossible to wound a certain hero with another. I like that the weaker hero at least has a chance through a critical hit or a lucky D6 roll. When I first wrote the rules, I thought along the same lines. But, I've played a couple of games and those dice rolls really don't take much time at all once you're used to them.

Plus, without Physical Attack cards, Physical Attacks really aren't random at all. They don't depend on what's in your hand, only what's already on the board. The dice make that part of the game random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
I'm also wondering what would fill up 60 cards in a deck. Could it be possible to make the physical attacks into cards, just as the magic ones are, but make them all common or something? (or there could be unique or legendary attacks too I suppose, which are less frequent, but more powerful).
That's exactly what I'm considering for Physical Attacks. Currently, the remainder of the Inventory would be full of Spells and Items, and maybe some unique cards for the heroes (representing something akin to Limit Breaks). What the game might need are Physical Attack cards and some sorts of Interrupts. Of course, if I added Physical Attack cards, I'd probably have to change some of the card drawing abilities for the magic users to keep them in line.

Here's kind of what I'm thinking as an example of each type of Inventory card.

Heat of Passion
Spell: Red 1
Manipulation Power: +19
Increase your Speed by 2 and draw 2 cards.
0 Gold

(When a Manipulation Spell is played, the D20 is rolled to see if it succeeds or fails. If D20 Roll + Manipulation Power > 20, it succeeds).

Inferno
Spell: Red 4
Damage Power: 2
Inferno targets all opponents.
70 Gold

The Healing Spell Natural Spring is already posted on Page 1.

Exotic Herbs
Item: Green
Healing Power: 6
20 Gold each

Meet Your Maker!
Technique: Black 3
Joh Only
Target one opponent and roll the D20. Add Joh's Magic and current MP. If Roll > 20, target is dead.
0 Gold

-------------------- (these are cards for things I haven't put into the game yet)

Thrust
Physical Attack: Melee
Damage Power: 0
0 Gold

Wild Swing
Physical Attack: Melee
Damage Power: 3
The defender may add 6 to their Evasion roll.
0 Gold

Fire!
Physical Attack: Ranged
0 Gold

Sniper Shot
Physical Attack: Ranged
If your Critical Hit roll is successful, target is dead.
50 Gold

Quick Reflexes
Interrupt
If your Agility is > 4, add 5 to any Evasion roll or Critical Roll.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

This song is going to be in my head all day now, with imaginary cards falling on every drum beat. I hope you're happy.

(Also, I can see how some randomness will help prevent situations where no damage can be dealt).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
This song is going to be in my head all day now, with imaginary cards falling on every drum beat. I hope you're happy.
Hehe, that's the idea.

I realized today that the Excel workbook I'd made with all of my original cards listed out in print-ready form is either lost, or buried somewhere on my home laptop. There have been many, many changes to cards since then, but it would've been a nice place to start rehashing. Ahh well, I can make another one fast enough.

I guess my next project is to get a card list (for the first two sets) in a printer-ready form and upload it to the site, or just e-mail it to those who would like to help playtest. I'll post a few more cards here and there as well (I haven't put up any weapons or armor yet) and get a complete copy of the rulebook. I'll also try to figure out some suggested deck builds, though I'll be counting on anyone to figure out some synergy or things that are broken that need fixing.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I love finding things that are broken!

I get more excited every time I see this thread. Can't wait to help out with this. Jess has signed on to play some games with me to help as well.
Old June 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
I love finding things that are broken!

I get more excited every time I see this thread. Can't wait to help out with this. Jess has signed on to play some games with me to help as well.
That's awesome! I can't wait to actually get you guys the cards to start testing.

As far as more cards go - anyone have some good Weapon / Armor names that haven't been used in every other RPG ever made? Here's what I have so far for Weapons and Armor, but I'd be willing to change them with any good ideas. I'm going for generic, but without just reusing the same thing made of a different material (i.e. Wooden Sword, Iron Sword, Steel Sword, etc.). I'll probably only have one or two legendary weapons/armor per class and a few other generic options. The Staffs (staves?) are all named with anagrams for now, but if anyone has some good generic stuff, I'll probably rename them):

Swords
Excalibur (I know, but I wanted a holy sword)
Samurai Sword
Claymore
Broad Sword
Blood Sword
Rapier

Claws
Dragon's Claw
Eagle's Talons
Leopard Claws
Raptor Claws

Guns
Laser Pistol
Machine Gun
Hunting Rifle
Shotgun
Bazooka

Knives
Dagger
Dirk
Stiletto
Switchblade

Spears
Heavy Lance
Javelin
Pike
Long Spear (I really ran out of ideas here)

Bows
Crossbow
Hunter's Bow
Arbalest (yay Protectors)
Bow of Lucen (anagram of my wife's maiden name. Will be a legendary Elven bow)

Staffs (Staves?) (these are also all anagrams, though I could probably use some generic ones)
Staff of Nemurteg
Staff of Zirteb
Staff of Gabol
Staff of Lupal
Staff of Ebnifald
Staff of Milhane
Staff of Bechseal
Staff of Chelbat

Mail
Plate Armor
Chain Mail
Bloodstained Mail
Shining Armor
Aegis
Kevlar Suit

Cloaks
Cloak of Invisibility
Vampire's Cloak
Magician's Cape
Superhero Cape
Volcano Cloak
Cape of Atlantis

Clothes
Karate Gi
Animal Skins
Ninja Garb
Lab Coat
Camouflage Gear
Wizard's Robe
Leather Vest
Bishop's Gown
Royal Dress(female only)

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; July 1st, 2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation

killercactus, I love your idea! Sign me up for playtesting. I can also help with artwork if you need it.

A couple suggestions:

-Maybe the magic users could have "books" as their weapons.
-I would like to see armor like a "Volcanologist's Cloak" to protect from fire and "Feathertail Glider Cloak" which helps against ground/earth based attacks. Other elemental resistances would be nice, too.
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
killercactus, I love your idea! Sign me up for playtesting. I can also help with artwork if you need it.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame

-Maybe the magic users could have "books" as their weapons.
-I would like to see armor like a "Volcanologist's Cloak" to protect from fire and "Feathertail Glider Cloak" which helps against ground/earth based attacks. Other elemental resistances would be nice, too.
As far as the Books go, I'm gonna stick with the Staff right now, though Books are definitely a possibility in the future. Also, I've thought about using Books as Accessories to allow heroes to use other Elements, so I'll have to decide if I want them as Weapons or Accessories.

There will be some Elemental protection in the Accessories (Accessories include some Shields, as well as Amulets / Talismans), and some of that Armor you see above does afford some (Lab Coat, Bloodstained Armor, Camo Gear), but I can probably go that way with the Cloaks too.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM

It's been a while since I posted here, so I thought I'd throw a few Items and Accessories out for view / critique. I'm going to try soon to get an excel file back up and running with the first set of cards so I can upload it to the site soon to begin playtesting.

Medicine Capsule
Item: Yellow
Healing Power: 3
Removes Poison status from target Hero.
10 Gold each

Mana Vial
Item: None
Mana Healing Power: 4
20 Gold each

Healing Water
Item: Blue
Healing Power: 5
You may shuffle one non-Item card from your Lost Pile into your Inventory.
30 Gold each

Kindling
Item: Red
Play on your side of the table. Until the end of the current round, all damage from the Red element is +1.
0 Gold each

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Talisman of Water
Accessory: Blue
MAG: +1
RES: +1
STR: -1
DEF: -1
Equipped Hero may play cards with the Blue element.
50 Gold

Japanese Headband
Accessory
STR: +1
When equipped Hero is attacked with a Physical Attack and his Evasion roll is < 7, immediately make a Physical Attack with the equipped Hero against the attacker.
40 Gold

Winged Sandals
Accessory: Gray
SPD: +3
When equipped Hero is the target of a Brown attack, you may roll the D20. If Roll > 14, equipped Hero takes no damage from the attack.
40 Gold

-------------------------------------------------------

Excalibur
Sword: White
STR: +4
May not be equipped by a Black innate Hero.
Raises equipped Hero's White innate ability by 2 levels, even if their innate color is not White.
450 Gold

Machine Gun
Gun
STR: +2
When equipped Hero attacks, if Critical Roll < 6, equipped Hero may attack again this turn.
150 Gold

Bloodstained Mail
Armor: Black
DEF: +3
RES: +2
AGI: -1
SPD: -2
When equipped Hero kills an opposing Hero, equipped Hero may take another turn immediately.
300 Gold

Wizard's Robe
Clothes
MAG: +2
RES: +2
When equipped Hero draws a card during their Draw Phase, they may reveal it to their opponent. If the card is not a Spell, they may draw another card.
170 Gold

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

What are you looking at typical deck size being? Some of these cards are very expensive. I understand that you wouldn't want many of these cards in each deck but I'd like to know just how much of a hit my deck will take if I put Excalibur in there for example.
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM

I've been kicking around 1000 Gold to start with. I don't know if that's where I'll end up - the Gold amounts will probably be the toughest thing to adjust when it's all said and done.

Right now I'm kind of just slapping arbitrary numbers on them to have a starting point.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Nikmis Woo who?

How open are you to suggestions/other viewpoints?

Do you mind suggestions for other options for basic game mechanics, or are you more looking for playtesting and minor detail suggestions?
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmis View Post
How open are you to suggestions/other viewpoints?

Do you mind suggestions for other options for basic game mechanics, or are you more looking for playtesting and minor detail suggestions?
I'll take any kind of suggestion, just as long as people aren't offended if I don't incorporate their ideas. I've been thinking about this for a while, but the game is nowhere near final yet so there's room for change.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games