Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 13th, 2008, 07:39 PM

miniandmee7 Woo who?
Gorrillinators: more use? (and an army)

I don't if this should be here so, if you can, move it if necessary.
Anyway...
Why are these units so frowned upon. I mean they're not that bad. Sure they're a little pricy and their ability only works against normal attacks but,
7 move (good)
6 range (average)
2 attack (low)
1 defense (bad)
And an obvious army stands out to me that i use frequently:
1x Laglor
1x Nakitas
3x Gorrilas

They are a highly mobile unit, and with the Nakitas have a very good strategy with this army. Laglor the range...duh?... but an order marker on the Nakitas will move your gorrilas out and a second one on the gorrilas will allow shooting and a move back into cover. It's simple but it works. It's guerilla warfare with the "guerillas/gorrilas".

Just my thoughts on an underused and underaprreciated unit.

If chocolate chip cookies are made out of chocolate chips...what are girl scout cookies made of?

If vegetabale oil is made out of vegetables...what is baby oil made of?
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Gorrillinators: more use? (and an army)

Cost. There are a number of equally effective, but cheaper squads out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like the G-Nators. They get a bad rap but paired with Nakitas and Laglor you have a great themed army. I am seriously considering taking a 500 point G-Nator build to the next Beantown Beatdown.

Positive Rep coming your way for making a good thread on an underused and under appreciated unit
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I like their speed and ability to attain height. I like their movement bonding with the Nakitas for even quicker ascension. I even like that particular army configuration to boost their range. Having said all that though, imagine that army without the G-nators and featuring Q9, 2 squads of Rats and Isamu. The rats run better interference and are harder to kill (especially vs. special attacks). Q9 is a more power offensive threat, gets the same range bonus and has soulborg and large immunities. Isamu is a nifty glyph grabber and clean up unit with special abilities geared toward that end.

G-nators are a unit I like occasionally using one squad of in conjunction with the Nakitas. With height and vs. the right opponent they can do a nice job of either running interference of grabbing glyphs. Too many units pack special attacks to make them much of a competetive threat though.

~Aldin, swinging from the trees

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

Actually, I love to play the Nakitas and a couple of Gori squads. It is simply fun and the Nakitas are just awesome. The Goris can get height advantage fast to boost their defense. Just remember that the defense is low but there is 100% of at least one shield . Since laglor is good in almost any Vydar army, I have played this army a few times.

Nakitas 120
Goris X 2 180
Laglor 110

James Murphy 75 or Crixus 90, two of my favorite heroes. I only have two squads of Goris and that's enough. It's fun.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprising View Post
I like the G-Nators. They get a bad rap but paired with Nakitas and Laglor you have a great themed army. I am seriously considering taking a 500 point G-Nator build to the next Beantown Beatdown.

Positive Rep coming your way for making a good thread on an underused and under appreciated unit
Counter to Gorillas with Guns......I got nothing!
I like this one
Apes with Guns
3xGorillaz-270
Nakita-120
Laglor/Dund-110
Carr-100
The army could be called Carr love Dund, if you sub Laglor for Dund!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Taking Suggestions...

Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
That's really the only reason. I don't have them, but I would love to have them. They are a very cool unit that is extremely disrespected by many. I don't think this will ever happen, but all WOTC would have to do if they remade the monkeys is to lower the cost. That would get people using them right away.

Ty the Awasome is the S.A.S. Commando, Maj. Thompson
...in the LIBRARY...
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:15 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty the Awasome View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
That's really the only reason. I don't have them, but I would love to have them. They are a very cool unit that is extremely disrespected by many. I don't think this will ever happen, but all WOTC would have to do if they remade the monkeys is to lower the cost. That would get people using them right away.
I always think that at that cost they should had been a squad of 4 or given a defense of 2 plus the automatic shield they get, but what heroe or squad could not have been improved? I play very unconventional armies and always have fun. It's obvious that the Nakitas were meant to make them more playable, and Laglor of course always helps as well. I never play the Goris unless I have the Nakitas, but I do play the Nakitas without the Goris. Movement bonding with the Nakitas is what makes the Goris fun to play. Laglor helps with the range so these guys are better played with both the Nakitas and Laglor. The main catch is that these guys work when you need fast moving range units to take a position, but that same quickness takes them away from Laglor. You have to manage your order markers carefully. I generally also try to keep them adjacent to Nakitas as long as possible. It's the perfect unit to keep adjacent to Nakitas given their movement bonding if there is no higher objective. Then again, they outrun the Nakitas. I'm just hoping that future Vydar units include some Nakitas/Goris/Laglor bonding or enhancement.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

In draft situations where my opponent is locked into normal attackers, I sometimes go for Nakitas. When I have Nakitas, I sometimes go for Gorillinators. And in those draft situations, they can get the job done. But I like the Aubriens too much to play the Gorillinators on their own merits. Cheaper by 20 points, more range, better defense against special attacks, and Frenzy. The jump from 6 to 7 range is a big milestone in my book. If I'm blind to the units my enemy is bringing, I just can't justify the Primadons.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:32 PM

player_of_volleyball Woo who?

I have always had succes with the G-nators. When I include the g-nators though, I usually build the army around them. They are pretty good glyph grabbers until you can get stronger units up there to hold em down.

I usually always start with g-nators x2 and nakitas. So that is a even 300 pts. Then I look for a solid melee squad that can bond with a hero, or just a few squads. So lets say I pick roman legos x2 and marcus (yes I know its not politcally or historically correct, but hey thats the beauty of heroscape). So those guys can usually hold themselves with a little range support

So you have,

G-nators x2
Nakita Agents
Roman Legos x2
Marcus

for you standard 500 point army. I know that it isn't the best one around and probally not tournament worthy, but I like it.

Yes, finally new and better elves to improve my already thick ranks of elves.

Elves shall prevail!
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:38 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

Hopefully in wave 9 Vydar will get some love and there will be another unit that works well with the G-nators. This would be a way to help explain thier high point cost without remaking it.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by player_of_football View Post
I have always had succes with the G-nators. When I include the g-nators though, I usually build the army around them. They are pretty good glyph grabbers until you can get stronger units up there to hold em down....

So you have,

G-nators x2
Nakita Agents
Roman Legos x2
Marcus

for you standard 500 point army. I know that it isn't the best one around and probally not tournament worthy, but I like it.
I've done that one too. I stopped using it after acquiring Laglor, but I remember how easy it was to manage with few order markers to worry about.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion