Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old February 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
How to Study?

Now this may sound like an exceedingly stupid question, but how do you study? I've been home schooled my whole life and have never studied with other people. I am now faced with a friend wanting to study for the SAT with me. I understand the stuff, I just don't know what studying entails. any help would be appreciated.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: How to Study?

Typically it will be periods of each of you staring at some sort of resource material interspersed with quizzing one another on that material. The best thing about a study session is the ability to reinforce your memorization by testing it in pop-quiz fashion.

~Aldin, flash cardingly

ETA You may also find you help one another comprehend concepts where one of you gets it and the other doesn't

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:43 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker

I think the best way to study for the SAT is to take practice tests. I found some available online when I took mine. You could take practice tests at the same time as your friend and then help each other understand the problems you missed.
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness

... I haven't the faintest idea.

I only rarely study, and never with others, only by myself. I go over the material and write down important points so they stick in my head. Writing and talking about things is a good way to remember them, which I suppose is part of the point of studying with someone. Good luck on your tests!

Grinnell College '16
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:51 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart

What not everybody has a photographic memory?! jk. I by no means have a photographic memory but I definitly wish I did.
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Copperpot Woo who?

Don't forget to give your brain a rest! Always break up your studying with intervals of playing some 'scape
Old February 10th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wait... since when is 'Scaping giving you brain a break?

Grinnell College '16
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Has Roman Archers with a Combined Attack of 18. Seriously.

DragonSlayer2 knows what's in an order marker DragonSlayer2 knows what's in an order marker DragonSlayer2 knows what's in an order marker

I find repition a great way to study.

I will repeat the same practice materials over and over until I know the question inside and out. Then I re-phrase it. After that I go through my books and make questions out of important details.....and work on those until I get them right.

Althought I have a really good memory and only go throught the questions once or twice.

Dont forget to mark off the ones you know, so you dont waste time studying stuff you already know.

Dont forget....Practice makes perfect.

In war, indeed, there is no substitute for victory. ~General MacArthur

Great Traders: Nyys, generalgina, Porkins, Grand Moff Venom, Bogusoid, MikeLizzio, FEDEX WORKER
MY TRADE LIST
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I don't study .

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Fratercula is surprisingly tart

Hi Taelord,
First off, good luck on the test. Don't be too alarmed about not knowing exactly how to study. There are completely different methods that work for different people and many folks, like myself, do not figure out what works best for them until they are halfway into a university degree.
There have already been several good suggestions in this thread so I'll try not to repeat them too much but I'd suggest that you reflect on how you came to understand the material. If you can honestly say to yourself that you understand the material then you've basically won the battle. Maybe you could just try reinforcing what you know buy testing yourself periodically as some folks have suggested.
When it comes to studying with others keep in mind that distractions can happen quite easily. Some folks (like me) are very unproductive when studying with close friends (or anyone) so I'd personally never do it. Some folks excel at group studying and use the opportunity to teach their less knowledgeable friends as a way to reinforce their own knowledge.

I guess the point of this rambling is that you should spend time thinking about how you learn. Is it by paying attention in class and asking questions or is it by simply committing facts to memory or by carrying flash cards etc? Do others help or are they a distraction? Anyway, I hope this helps and I hope you knock it out of the park.
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Cheesy Poofs is surprisingly tart

On iTunes you can download SAT prep games for your iPod.
Old February 16th, 2009, 08:14 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratercula View Post
When it comes to studying with others keep in mind that distractions can happen quite easily. Some folks (like me) are very unproductive when studying with close friends (or anyone) so I'd personally never do it. Some folks excel at group studying and use the opportunity to teach their less knowledgeable friends as a way to reinforce their own knowledge.

I guess the point of this rambling is that you should spend time thinking about how you learn. Is it by paying attention in class and asking questions or is it by simply committing facts to memory or by carrying flash cards etc? Do others help or are they a distraction? Anyway, I hope this helps and I hope you knock it out of the park.
Since you dont know the background...Taelord is homeschooled and is I believe 3 grade levels ahead of his age group so...

1-His friends arent taking the SAT now so he couldnt study with them.
2-He IS his class so not paying attention would be noticed. ALthough I think he is more self taught then home-schooled from things he has said in the past.
3-Since he is the only member of the class he cannot be distracted by the others.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General