Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 29th, 2021, 11:53 AM

Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Vydar's Custom Units Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
I must say, Disciples of the hidden flame stand out to me and your mentioning of Ullar not having a 4 person squad helps give them attention for such purpose.
In question of availability, its unfortunate that the 2 cooler models here are the least available, especially so for Druid of Obad-hai, since his iconic image as a stag druid ties the look together.
On the upside, I'd like to think there are plenty of green clothed elf druid like minis floating around.
A few I just stumbled on which were just released and in high stock I might as well mention are
"W7 Female Human Druid 93054 Icons of the Realms Premium Mini"
"W7 Male Elf Ranger 93061 Icons of the Realms Premium Mini"
These models also support the "Animal Messenger" ability visual!
Another model you've probably seen already but might as well mention here is "Wood Elf Druid #06 Icons of the Realm".
Another "Deathlock Boneyard #22 Icons Warlock Wight".

I'd consider giving these guys a shot in SoV once any rough edges have been smoothened.
Thanks for the interest, I will definitely look into those minis you suggested.

I want to get a lot more experience designing units before I submit anything of my own to the SoV, but it means a lot that you think it could be up to snuff.

I also need to get the rest of my designs in this thread. Most of my stuff has only been posted in the Discord. I think I have at least 8 or so that aren't posted here.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old October 30th, 2021, 06:04 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I definitely like the Disciples of the Hidden Flame design too!
Old October 31st, 2021, 08:05 PM

Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby! Vydar_XLIII rolls all skulls baby!

Big Update! 7 New Cards & 2 Updated Cards!

BEASTMASTER RANGER FACTION: A mix-and-match bonding pair of Rangers and Companions.
Spoiler Alert!

ANIMATED ARMOR: Wizards and Mages control these suits of armor.
Spoiler Alert!

BITTER SEA COLONY: A 4-figure squad of giant crabs.
Spoiler Alert!

NEFTA THE KYRIE WARRIOR: Glyph of Sturla adapted to a Kyrie's Aura power.
Spoiler Alert!

ZANKOR THE BOUND: Valkrill Dragon held prisoner by the Cult of Nhah Scirh.
Spoiler Alert!

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

Vydar's Custom Units

Last edited by Vydar_XLIII; November 25th, 2021 at 11:02 AM.
Old November 1st, 2021, 01:07 AM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Really love the BeastMaster mechanic and the synergies it brings. Sounds like a lot of fun in home games and opens up an interesting RPG element with the unique choices. The minis are also all quite unique in their theme.

Animated Armor was a cool use of this mini and the Mage/Wizard synergy was a good choice. Though I wonder why Animata is not used here?

The very first thing I felt with the Bitter Sea Colony, is that I prefer a 3 figure squad instead. With the other Safari figs, a swarm theme is supported, but I don't think that trope needs to be followed here.
Grappling Claws is a fun nerfing of Cyberclaw. I don't mind Exoskeleton, but have always felt strangely with how it can be used stacking on a single figure. A poor slip of a themed mechanic imo. And slight support to my reasoning for 1 less figure per squad if you are going to use it. (An opportunity to fix exoskeleton raises my interest)
Amphibious is a pretty strong power which is kept in check for the Sahuagin being as lacking as they are. Not saying it should not be used, but it's combination with exoskeleton is an odd one, yet has some intrigue.

For Nefta, I add my vote to wording E.

Zankor the Bound. Such a cool looking Card/Figure. Nicely, there are still some that can be bought online. Besides it being a BA figure that exists in a BA universe, I don't feel much urge to play this figure if I owned it, having no unique abilities. Perhaps I'm missing something here. From my understanding, if you are able to keep him away from your team, you shouldn't have to suffer the 1 wound? It's a fun shifting mechanic I could see used in scenarios.

Adapt what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
Old November 1st, 2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Really love the BeastMaster mechanic and the synergies it brings. Sounds like a lot of fun in home games and opens up an interesting RPG element with the unique choices. The minis are also all quite unique in their theme.

Animated Armor was a cool use of this mini and the Mage/Wizard synergy was a good choice. Though I wonder why Animata is not used here?

The very first thing I felt with the Bitter Sea Colony, is that I prefer a 3 figure squad instead. With the other Safari figs, a swarm theme is supported, but I don't think that trope needs to be followed here.
Grappling Claws is a fun nerfing of Cyberclaw. I don't mind Exoskeleton, but have always felt strangely with how it can be used stacking on a single figure. A poor slip of a themed mechanic imo. And slight support to my reasoning for 1 less figure per squad if you are going to use it. (An opportunity to fix exoskeleton raises my interest)
Amphibious is a pretty strong power which is kept in check for the Sahuagin being as lacking as they are. Not saying it should not be used, but it's combination with exoskeleton is an odd one, yet has some intrigue.

For Nefta, I add my vote to wording E.

Zankor the Bound. Such a cool looking Card/Figure. Nicely, there are still some that can be bought online. Besides it being a BA figure that exists in a BA universe, I don't feel much urge to play this figure if I owned it, having no unique abilities. Perhaps I'm missing something here. From my understanding, if you are able to keep him away from your team, you shouldn't have to suffer the 1 wound? It's a fun shifting mechanic I could see used in scenarios.
I'm glad you like the Beastmaster cards! I think they are some of my best work. I don't think they're there yet, though. I think there's an opportunity to specialize Ghar and Haxhal for Swamp and Dungeon/Shadow similarly to how Tamaska is specialized for Snow. But I also want to keep the complexity and the price down. I'll probably have a second set of cards that goes in a different direction and see how the reactions are.

The specific reason I used Armor over Animata is because both Animata cards we currently have are from Arctorus (Ebon Armor, Sentinels of Grax). Arctorus, by my understanding, is the alien/sci-fi/technology world. The Animated Armor is explicitly the D&D concept that works with the fantasy wizards from Feylund, Toril, and Eberron. I don't want the Animated Armor to be included in any future Animata synergy webs. So I gave them a unique race.

I've yet to playtest the BSC. A 3-person squad might be the best way to go for them. But a 4-person squad without EXOSKELETON (possibly with better stats?) is also on the table. Also I'm glad you pointed out that the name of the power on the Sahuagin Raider is "AMPHIBIOUS" and not "AQUATIC." Is it weird to call a crab amphibious? I kind of feel that it is. Is this one of those situations where 1 power has 2 names (like SHAOLIN ASSAULT, MASTER'S ASSAULT and WHIRLWIND ASSAULT) but the most recent is more universally applicable? IDK.

That's 3 votes for E and none against. When I write up her card, I'll include E wording.

I'm not sure I understand your understanding of Zankor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds
From my understanding, if you are able to keep him away from your team, you shouldn't have to suffer the 1 wound?
I reason to play Zankor is to give the Nhah Scirh a fifth attack per turn. The Nhah Scirh want to be close to him in order to buff the d20 roll so that their opponent doesn't get a turn with him. Thematically this is holding him prisoner, perhaps literally holding the chains that bind him. The less cultists near him the more difficult it is to control him and he may lash out at his captors (take 1 wound and then take a turn with him) or momentarily break free from containment (your opponent takes a turn with him). I think those. Yes, you could send him away from your army on turn 1 but then he is much more likely for your opponent to take a turn with him. I also don't think he is destructive or tanky enough to be able to do much or survive very long on his own.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Vydar's Custom Units
Old November 11th, 2021, 01:22 PM

Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm really interested in the Ranger line up that you have going on with the beat companions. The idea of getting extra attacks with the ranger seems really fun to me and like a good way to bring down large targets. The biggest thing a "duo" style of play will always suffer from is activations and I think that is addressed here.

The wolf being able to protect both wolves and rangers in interesting, gives him a place in the Arktos and friends army with their unique squads.

My second interest here is what you did with Arcane Animation on the animated armor unit. That is a great way to give some screening and flexibility to some stand alone units that never see play despite their great abilities. It would be fun to see Sonlen interacting in this way. I think it may be difficult to track which animated armor has moved in order to trigger their hitzone clause though, curious to see how it would work.

Have you gotten a chance to play with the crabs yet? I think they have a lot of character and would fit nicely into the game.

Nefta reminds me of Sun Titan from MTG. I would like to see a card like this in canon because it is such a different playstyle though I'm not sure how it would best be implemented. It is nice that you only get one chance to revive a unit in essence, that's a good balancing factor for me.

Still so sad that the dragon sculpt is not in production anymore xD I would love to get a hold of one. Really big fan of having a valkrill dragon like this with the theme of being kept captive. The stats really show that it has been subjugated as well because it isn't as high as some of the other dragons and lacks any sort of ranged attack.

Customs are for home use and enjoyment first and foremost.
Old November 11th, 2021, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the feedback Shiftrex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
I'm really interested in the Ranger line up that you have going on with the beat companions. The idea of getting extra attacks with the ranger seems really fun to me and like a good way to bring down large targets. The biggest thing a "duo" style of play will always suffer from is activations and I think that is addressed here.

The wolf being able to protect both wolves and rangers in interesting, gives him a place in the Arktos and friends army with their unique squads.
I intentionally put the three beasts in 3 different synergy webs. Ghar and Tamaska can bond with the Arrow Gruts, Haxhal can bond with the Spiders, and Tamaska gets Wolf synergies with the Vark. Unfortunately I couldn't add Hunter to the classes that the Rangers could partner with (because of Van Nessing) otherwise Tamaska would have been a Hunter. I have an idea about how to get around that, but it isn't on paper yet.

Quote:
My second interest here is what you did with Arcane Animation on the animated armor unit. That is a great way to give some screening and flexibility to some stand alone units that never see play despite their great abilities. It would be fun to see Sonlen interacting in this way. I think it may be difficult to track which animated armor has moved in order to trigger their hitzone clause though, curious to see how it would work.
Thematically the thought is that once the first Armor moves or attacks, the 'illusion' breaks and the opponent's army realizes that all of them are fake. Mechanically, my intent is the same. If one Armor moves or attacks, all of them now have hit zones. I think the wording is clear, so I'm not sure if you misread or if it needs more clarification (or both).

Quote:
Have you gotten a chance to play with the crabs yet? I think they have a lot of character and would fit nicely into the game.
Nope! But I am heavily considering beginning the testing as a 3-figure squad.

Quote:
Nefta reminds me of Sun Titan from MTG. I would like to see a card like this in canon because it is such a different playstyle though I'm not sure how it would best be implemented. It is nice that you only get one chance to revive a unit in essence, that's a good balancing factor for me.
I haven't played her yet either, but the mini is in the mail!

Quote:
Still so sad that the dragon sculpt is not in production anymore xD I would love to get a hold of one. Really big fan of having a valkrill dragon like this with the theme of being kept captive. The stats really show that it has been subjugated as well because it isn't as high as some of the other dragons and lacks any sort of ranged attack.
I think I really nailed the theme on this one. The D20 roll likely needs tweaking to make it play the way I want and not be OP. I kinda want it to act like the Zombie Hulk does. Where straight Zombies are likely the best build, but the Hulk gives the army another tool that smooths matchups. I want Zankor to do the same with the Nhah Scirh and its going to be a delicate balancing act. Who knows, maybe another mini will come down the pipeline and fit the concept and be accessable.

Vydar's Custom Units
Old November 11th, 2021, 07:33 PM

Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shiftrex wears ripped pants of awesomeness

With animated armor I was just saying it might be difficult to keep track of what has moved and what hasnt given how widely you can spread them to start the game.

Old November 13th, 2021, 01:34 AM

Knox rolls all skulls baby! Knox rolls all skulls baby! Knox rolls all skulls baby! Knox rolls all skulls baby!

I think Animated Armor could start the game on a wizard's army card instead of in the startzone. A couple mechanics could be

1. Animated Armor adds +1 (or +2) defense to any figure it's on (this would be very powerful - I think you might say - adds 2 to its defense and subtracts 1 for its attack/special attack).
OR
2. When one of your Wizards would receive one or more wounds and has an animated armor on its card, you may (or must) destroy the animated armor instead
OR
3. Replace that Wizards defense with the defense of Animated Armor (e.g., if AA has 4 defense, that wizard now does)

Then the second ability would be
When you reveal an order marker on a Wizard with an Animated Armor figure on its card, you may first take a turn with that Animated Armor. Begin by placing the Animated Armor on an unoccupied space adjacent to the Wizard, then take the turn normally

Optional: when the Animated Armors turn is complete, return it to the Wizards army card
OR
Whenever a wizard you control moves adjacent to an Animated Armor you control, or an Animated Armor you control moves adjacent to a Wizard you control, you may immediately place the Animated Armor on that Wizards Army Card

Your idea for using them as screeners works too. But wanted to propose them as a Thorgrimmy unit. I think it could fit well.

Also, the mini you have for Nefta is incredible

Last edited by Knox; November 13th, 2021 at 02:27 AM.
Old November 13th, 2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
With animated armor I was just saying it might be difficult to keep track of what has moved and what hasnt given how widely you can spread them to start the game.
Forgive me, but I still don't understand. When I move or attack with ONE Animated Armor, ALL of them gain hit zones. There is nothing to keep track of past the very first move/attack.

Vydar's Custom Units
Old November 13th, 2021, 12:27 PM

OH! I was losing that in translation somewhere. That's incredibly easy then. Works for me!

Old November 13th, 2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I think Animated Armor could start the game on a wizard's army card instead of in the startzone. A couple mechanics could be

1. Animated Armor adds +1 (or +2) defense to any figure it's on (this would be very powerful - I think you might say - adds 2 to its defense and subtracts 1 for its attack/special attack).
OR
2. When one of your Wizards would receive one or more wounds and has an animated armor on its card, you may (or must) destroy the animated armor instead
OR
3. Replace that Wizards defense with the defense of Animated Armor (e.g., if AA has 4 defense, that wizard now does)

Then the second ability would be
When you reveal an order marker on a Wizard with an Animated Armor figure on its card, you may first take a turn with that Animated Armor. Begin by placing the Animated Armor on an unoccupied space adjacent to the Wizard, then take the turn normally

Optional: when the Animated Armors turn is complete, return it to the Wizards army card
OR
Whenever a wizard you control moves adjacent to an Animated Armor you control, or an Animated Armor you control moves adjacent to a Wizard you control, you may immediately place the Animated Armor on that Wizards Army Card

Your idea for using them as screeners works too. But wanted to propose them as a Thorgrimmy unit. I think it could fit well.

Also, the mini you have for Nefta is incredible
This is an interesting idea; however, it really doesn't align with my design intent. I don't see the wizard ever inside the armor. The ability to summon them from a Wizard's card is intriguing but again, not the direction I have intended to go. Thematically, I want the unit to exist on the battlefield as an unassuming suit of armor. Only coming alive when the enemy can be caught unawares. That's the whole gimmick that the D&D monster uses (that I'm more-or-less explicitly basing the unit on).

I think the summoned or mystic armor idea you have is cool and could have a place in a single wizard/squad combo (think an Iskra and Retchets relationship). Maybe that could materialize in a different design.

Thanks for the feedback!

Vydar's Custom Units

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards